Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ray Kasongo

vCash
    I really want tookie, but I wonder if it's a Tyler Russell situation. Howland predicates his teams on tough, man-to-man defense. I wonder how well ready and tookie will fit bc they're so undersized.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I really want tookie, but I wonder if it's a Tyler Russell situation. Howland predicates his teams on tough, man-to-man defense. I wonder how well ready and tookie will fit bc they're so undersized.
    I don't buy that at all. Brown may be a little short for what Howland likes, but Darren Collison came into UCLA at 6' flat weighing 150 soaking wet and that turned out ok. I have no idea what Howland is thinking about Brown- but IMO, the "Howland fit" is more about having a tough guy mentality than being a certain size.

Not calling you out specifically, but I've done a lot of research on Howland in the past week and it amazes me how so many people at UCLA and around the country have tried to pigeon hole him as boring or stubborn. I'm sure he has been stubborn at times, but there aren't many coaches in the country who have successfully adapted to different situations and circumstances throughout their career like Howland has. Luckily for us, he waited to adapt at the end of his UCLA tenure after it was already too late... Now sitting out two years, reflecting on his career, and traveling to other programs to study them- I believe Howland when he says he thinks he can do his best job ever here.

That's not to say I think he'll ever take us to three straight final fours, but he can win and win big here.
    Last edited by messageboardsuperhero; 03-29-2015 at 11:59 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Tookie isn't undersized for Howland. Darren Collison right now today in the NBA is 6'0 175lbs. Tookie is listed as 5'11 180lbs. He's already thicker than an NBA player that Howland raised.

vCash
    Tookie isn't 5'11".

I certainly hope he's in the class, and my feelings on his potential are documented. But I trust Howland, whatever he feels is best.

vCash
    I certainly want Tookie. We need to bring in a PG in this class besides Malik IMO unless Howland believes he can pull another elite CG/PG in the 2016 class to fill Malik's likely freshly vacated spot. Otherwise, we're looking at Ready being a Sr -- Malik being gone -- and us breaking in a true freshman or JUCO as backup PG. I'd rather have experience in the spot even if you redshirt that guy this year. Unless the next guy is elite as well. So, all that being said, I'll trust whatever Howland wants to do -- but I think passing on Tookie would be a mistake. Let's get him here -- make room -- and we can make the numbers work out in the future.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    I certainly want Tookie. We need to bring in a PG in this class besides Malik IMO unless Howland believes he can pull another elite CG/PG in the 2016 class to fill Malik's likely freshly vacated spot. Otherwise, we're looking at Ready being a Sr -- Malik being gone -- and us breaking in a true freshman or JUCO as backup PG. I'd rather have experience in the spot even if you redshirt that guy this year. Unless the next guy is elite as well. So, all that being said, I'll trust whatever Howland wants to do -- but I think passing on Tookie would be a mistake. Let's get him here -- make room -- and we can make the numbers work out in the future.
    Kobi Simmons would be that elite CG we're targeting for the 2016 class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Kobi Simmons would be that elite CG we're targeting for the 2016 class.
    Simmons is a stud. I have a feeling our 2016 class is going to be loaded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Tookie isn't undersized for Howland. Darren Collison right now today in the NBA is 6'0 175lbs. Tookie is listed as 5'11 180lbs. He's already thicker than an NBA player that Howland raised.
    Its Howland's decision, not mine, but as I've said numerous times I don't see how it can make sense to turn Tookie away and keep Dunlap when pretty much everything points to Tookie being the better player. Size is an issue for both so that's not a differentiator.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Its Howland's decision, not mine, but as I've said numerous times I don't see how it can make sense to turn Tookie away and keep Dunlap when pretty much everything points to Tookie being the better player. Size is an issue for both so that's not a differentiator.
    Agreed.

If he can land Simmons, Howland can do whatever he wants right now in my opinion... But Tookie feels like an Isaiah Canaan-type that we'll kick ourselves about letting go to me...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Dunlap played for Jackson tigers, Malik's AAU team. Can't risk ruining any connections.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Agreed.

If he can land Simmons, Howland can do whatever he wants right now in my opinion... But Tookie feels like an Isaiah Canaan-type that we'll kick ourselves about letting go to me...
    Simmons, kegler, simonds, and a big man... This should be our goal

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raytoraid83 View Post
    Dunlap played for Jackson tigers, Malik's AAU team. Can't risk ruining any connections.
    Daniels looks to be odd man out then is my guess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Daniels looks to be odd man out then is my guess
    Gotta be 2 if we sign kasongo and Malik

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    James Banks is the big man we're targeting right now.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Also of note, UM took a Juco PG yesterday. Their website people say it has nothing to do with Newman though, and their coaches still like their chances... We'll see. They had been telling Newman all along that he'd be their starting PG next season if he were to sign.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    Also of note, UM took a Juco PG yesterday. Their website people say it has nothing to do with Newman though, and their coaches still like their chances... We'll see. They had been telling Newman all along that he'd be their starting PG next season if he were to sign.
    Howland, Johnny Jones and Caliapari battle for Malik. Ole Miss is out.

vCash
    Josh Langford
    Mario Kegler
    James Banks
    Braxton Blackwell
    Kobi Simmons

That is our goal.

vCash
    That's a pretty damn good goal.

vCash
    Gotta be 2 if we sign kasongo and Malik
    Yep, if we sign both then its likely one frontcout player and one backcourt player will need to move on. Could be any 2 though I guess. For example, could be that Ndoye moves on and we keep one of Daniels and Zuppardo. Right now it seems that Daniels, Houston, Black and Zuppardo are sort of a logjam at the 4 position though Daniels plays the 3 some as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C222 View Post
    Josh Langford
    Mario Kegler
    James Banks
    Braxton Blackwell
    Kobi Simmons

That is our goal.
    Sounds awesome but I'll believe it when I see it. You have to beat out UConn, Duke, UK, KU etc. for those type of guys.