Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Cohens seat starting to get warm?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I don't know much or care much about baseball but I don't think the seat of the only coach to ever have us in a national championship final in any team sport is in anything resembling a warm seat. At least not 2 years after the fact. I guess we can get rid of him and bring in a Rick Ray type hire because that would be what we would get if we did it this year or the next and probably even the next, barring some type if criminal behavior.
    Cohen shouldn't be fired. If we did fire him though, we could get a great coach. This isnt basketball. State is a premier job in college baseball.

Banned
    vCash
    I don't know much or care much about baseball but I don't think the seat of the only coach to ever have us in a national championship final in any team sport is in anything resembling a warm seat. At least not 2 years after the fact. I guess we can get rid of him and bring in a Rick Ray type hire because that would be what we would get if we did it this year or the next and probably even the next, barring some type if criminal behavior.
    You judge the state of the program by the regular season. A few hot weeks one year is awesome, it really was! But, that is not a recipe for judging the state of the program. And we can get just about anyone we want, Rick Ray in baseball... SMH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Cohen shouldn't be fired. If we did fire him though, we could get a great coach. This isnt basketball. State is a premier job in college baseball.
    Is it really?

vCash
    Is it really?
    I think so. Maybe not elite, but certainly better than our basketball job

Banned
    vCash
    Yes his seat is, or should be warm! I said before that all of us, especially coaches, should have a healthy fear of losing their job. if this year keeps going as it appears now, he should definitely expect to make changes and turn it around next year big time or the masses will be circling the wagons!

One regional in 7 years! With the renovations planned and all of the money and fan support our program has, we should expect to at least be in the talks every year to host a regional, and actually host at least every other year,and get a national seed as well. Do you think LSU would keep any coach with Cohens record?

Everyone needs to quit saying he took us to the championship game two years ago. As someone said you have to look at the entire body of work and not one month in one year. We deserve and should expect better on field performance!!

vCash
    His seat should GET warm IF we miss post season play this season (and I believe we will). IF we miss again next year then he should either have to make some major changes with the staff or we should seriously consider a change. MSU, as an SEC school that gives as much fan support to baseball as we do should be making post season at a 90% rate (9 out of 10 seasons). Heck, some years as many as 8 or 9 SEC teams MAKE post season play. Its not like we are demanding to win the SEC title every year or something (note we haven't won an SEC regular season title since 89). Really the only somewhat consistent thing we've had under Cohen has been the bullpen and that has gone bad this year. We've had some decent starters at times (i.e., Stratton and Graveman) but even those have really only had one good year. Why is it LSU and others can get a guy that contributes in their rotation for 3 years prior to moving on but all we can ever get is 1? McCord was a Top 150 player coming out of HS and its already become obvious that he is going to contribute NOTHING in his FR year. For as great as Lindgren and Girodo were their JR years, it sure would have been nice to have gotten that kind of production for a least a couple of years before losing them. Holder is the ONLY pitcher under Cohen that had multiple really good years. Offensively we really haven't actually hit consistently at all and are WAY too dependent on walks, HBP and errors. It has always been fairly easy to hold down a Cohen offense by throwing strikes and being sound defensively. Also, our dependence on JUCOs and having them as the majority of our best players would seem to indicate that we are not developing guys ourselves very well out of HS, at least not in bulk. Cohen is a LOT better recruiter than Polk was the last half of his tenure thank goodness, but the primary concern is we don't really seem to capitalize very well on the talent we get at least not for more than one season's worth.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 03-28-2015 at 09:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    No. It will take worse than mediocre to bad for Cohen's seat to heat up too much after the man had us playing for a natty in '12. He's still a good coach.
    How soon we forget.....I like having a head coach that, when we loose or don't play well, you can tell they HATE it. The worse things get the harder those guys work. I feel like guys like Cohen and Mullen are like this, when things aren't goong well, it drives them nuts and they grind harder. I always felt like a Cromm slept great every night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    How soon we forget.....I like having a head coach that, when we loose or don't play well, you can tell they HATE it. The worse things get the harder those guys work. I feel like guys like Cohen and Mullen are like this, when things aren't goong well, it drives them nuts and they grind harder. I always felt like a Cromm slept great every night.
    How about winning a game you can sleep very well then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrydawg View Post
    I do like having a coach that hates to lose even in baseball where you are going to lose your fair share. Polk pissed me off so much with his "that's baseball" sentiment like he and his players had no real control over the outcome of a game. Biggest thing I wish Cohen would do is reevaluate some of his overall philosophy on certain aspects of the game because it hasn't worked very well for regular season play. That's why we've only hosted one regional in his entire time here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    In 7 years at MSU, he will have hosted one regional, assuming we don't rebound this year.
    Wow. Just wow.

I don't look for some rebound unless the players manage it in spite of him, so 1 of 7 is very likely what it will be. In no way is his seat on fire, but there's no denying we are a trainwreck. I just saw last night's results this morning. It's scary to feel like that isn't changing anytime soon.

Wow.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    1) The class that most of the recruiting experts have been talking about is the one that is about to come onto campus next year. The reason you and others have been hearing about it for so long is because that class has literally had some guys committed for three years or longer. It's a legit top five class unless MLB decimates it. Our last class lost the top two hitters in it- and it was a small class to start with. Gridley will be the best hitter out of it, and McCord will be the best pitcher out of it, although Cole Gordon and Andrew Mahoney will be quality players. I'll just straight up say it- getting rid of Mingione would potentially hurt us getting some of those better players. It will also be our first big class (high school prospects) since we went to Omaha and finally one that won't be JUCO dominated. A couple of the players in the next class would be starting right now and giving our offense a HUGE boost- Riley and Pickett. Not to mention pitchers that would be at worst filling in bullpen roles.

2) I've been keeping track of out bunting for this year and when we bunt sacrifices and drag bunts combined, we have been reaching base at a clip of almost 50% this year. Our BB/K ratio is very good as well. We notice as fans when we fail, but we don't look at what everyone else is doing to compare and therefore we "look worse" sometimes. That's not to say that you are totally off point here. As I have said many times, our offense is designed to have about 4-5 speed guys and 4-5 power guys. The problem is we have for the most part lacked the power guys for whatever reason- be it injuries like Collins this year, or underperformance like Rea last year. He needs to make Cole Gordon a hitter instead of a pitcher unless Gordon magically starts throwing 105 or something like that. I cringe when I see people like Gene say "the staff thinks he is a better pitcher". He fits the team better as a hitter. I agree with you that we should steal more- that's where we miss Smith this year because he is better than Brown as a base stealer.

3) This always puzzles me as far as a complaint from our fans. It's very uncommon to have the same lineup everyday at really any level of baseball above high school. Smith has still had issues with his hamstring from time to time, and Cody Brown and Vickerson have been played pretty well. Smith has a higher upside than either one of those two. Catcher has been Lovelady pretty consistently because of Collins being hurt. Rea, Heck, Robson, Humphreys, and Cody Brown have been pretty consistent as far as being in the lineup. Gridley should be in it more, Holland has been a disappointment and we still don't really have a clear cut third baseman- although I think Britton takes it back before the end of the year.

4) I'm not sure why a lot of our fans forget about Graveman even though he wasn't as dominant as Stratton. Graveman was still a legit ace. I think the issue is more about getting them to be dominant before their junior year in college. That's the weird thing to me- and you could say the same for many of our hitters like Renfroe- we've had some very good players and some guys even go in the first round, but it seems like most of them scuffle along until their junior year and then the light bulb goes off. We need to find some guys like Stephen Head that are impact guys as freshmen. Next year our rotation should be one of the best in the SEC. Especially if the junior year light bulb is any indicator for Sexton, Tatum, and Hudson. Plus, Preston Brown should be back as well and he's a solid pitcher with lots of SEC experience. We also have Paul Young who should be fully recovered and McCord will be better as well. Fitts is not 100% right now, and Ross has flaked out on us. That's disappointing. Like I said I think some of the freshmen coming in like Fenter, Small, Padgett, Ford, etc. can fill in some gaps for the bullpen. And heck, Levi Mintz has been pretty darn good and might turn out to be a really solid pitcher for us.

As far as Cohen, you don't win a SEC Championship at UK, and win with some of the talent that we had in 2011, and take a team to the CWS finals without being pretty good. I think he is still building his legacy and career to a degree and just hasn't totally had all the parts to really maximize things. Hopefully this next group of players is his 1982 Ron Polk class- but that remains to be seen. We have to avoid injuries and have guys that adjust more quickly going forward- and in baseball there is a saying that things even out at the end, so we'll see if that is true.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I don't think I've ever seen a coach in any sport over-coach like he does. If he would just get out of the way, we would immediately improve.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    What we are doing is not baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    What we are doing is not baseball.
    We're on the Crxxm's 10 Year "Rebuilding" Plan. Being this awful and missing the postseason entirely in Year 7 is entirely unacceptable. Cohen has had time to either A) Get the talent or B) Develop the talent. He's failed at either A or B and probably both.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    **** off