Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really professional tweet from Jeff Goodman

vCash

Really professional tweet from Jeff Goodman

"Gotta wonder if Ben Howland regrets taking Mississippi State -- now that Arizona State popped open. Starkville or Tempe? LOL"

Why are big time media guys allowed to make statements like this?
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    That guy is a clown. You can't understand a word he says on TV.

vCash
    Regardless of what he would have chosen, State is the right moved he needs to get away from the West and the AAU programs out there.

vCash
    Agreed we are the better near term opening for him, but also glad to see the Arizona State job didn't pop open over the weekend. You never know how that might have turned out.

vCash
    Goodman is getting drilled on twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Goodman is getting drilled on twitter
    I also sent him an email. Doubt I get a response but felt slightly satisfying.. lol
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    "Gotta wonder if Ben Howland regrets taking Mississippi State -- now that Arizona State popped open. Starkville or Tempe? LOL"

Because probably they and/or their employers want to put something out there that they wiil get a reaction too, either positive or negative. That is a crappy tweet, though.

vCash
    I bet Howland doesn't care. Arizona State has had a better track record than us recently. But they are in the NIT this year, lost in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament last year, lost in the 2nd round of the NIT in 2013, and were totally out of any tournament in 2012 and 2011.

I don't consider that a substantially better job. Maybe more familiar territory, but not necessarily better. Now I will say that in the long run it might have been easier at Arizona State. The SEC is about to be ridiculous in about 3 years. Calipari, Howland, Pearl, Anderson, Donovan, Fox, Stallings, whoever Bama hires, and Kennedy. That's a big time group of coaches right there.

That's a lot of name recognition, and with names like Coach K, Boeheim, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, and Bo Ryan all exiting the sport in the next 3-5 years due to age, that will open the door for the SEC to climb it's way back into the basketball discussion. It's already started, but I believe it will continue to improve over the next 3 years.

vCash
    He is a Ray sympathizer. His post is more about jabbing MSU for not bringing Ray back.

vCash
    That is absolutely a big-time group of coaches. And what's crazy is, we have the 3rd biggest name in that group.

vCash
    This morning on Bo Bounds Howland sounded like a man that genuinely sounded like he wanted the SEC experience. He talked about SEC football, Dak, etc, and sounded like a guy that looks at coaching in the SEC as an adventure that he wants before he retires.

I don't think he cares about going back to the PAC12, after all, he turned down Oregon State last season. I think this is a man that looks at coaching & being around an SEC campus as a lifetime experience that he wanted to fulfill.

vCash
    Lot of people getting on him. Even Bob C commented (though he didn't tag him) which I liked. People like to bash on starkville that haven't seen it since Davis wade was one tiered

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I bet Howland doesn't care. Arizona State has had a better track record than us recently. But they are in the NIT this year, lost in the 1st round of the NCAA Tournament last year, lost in the 2nd round of the NIT in 2013, and were totally out of any tournament in 2012 and 2011.
    M
    I don't consider that a substantially better job. Maybe more familiar territory, but not necessarily better. Now I will say that in the long run it might have been easier at Arizona State. The SEC is about to be ridiculous in about 3 years. Calipari, Howland, Pearl, Anderson, Donovan, Fox, Stallings, whoever Bama hires, and Kennedy. That's a big time group of coaches right there.

That's a lot of name recognition, and with names like Coach K, Boeheim, Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, and Bo Ryan all exiting the sport in the next 3-5 years due to age, that will open the door for the SEC to climb it's way back into the basketball discussion. It's already started, but I believe it will continue to improve over the next 3 years.
    I think putting Kennedy in that group is a stretch. He's the same coach he's always been. He has just been fortunate enough the last few seasons that we haven't kept him in check like we did every year before. He also had the benefit the last couple to few years of a down SEC. With this hire he's about to get bitch slapped back into his normal state of submission.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post

I have been to Tempe several times - there is nothing, and I mean nothing, special about Tempe, AZ. Unless you are retired and want the warm climate year round. I think Howland has had enough of that the past two years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    I think putting Kennedy in that group is a stretch. He's the same coach he's always been. He has just been fortunate enough the last few seasons that we haven't kept him in check like we did every year before. He also had the benefit the last couple to few years of a down SEC. With this hire he's about to get bitch slapped back into his normal state of submission.
    That's actually a good point. If he splits with us, om prob doesn't get in.

vCash
    Hate to tell him -- but Arizona St is traditionally one of the worst basketball programs in the power 5. We've experienced much more success, overall and recently(barring the last 3 years obviously)...

Back when I compiled the Sweet 16 countback among power 5 conferences and how many coaches everyone had gone thru that wasn't achieving on that level, I was absolutely floored by the lack of success by ASU. They are the 3rd or 4th worst overall program in the Pac12, and I believe worse than that on postseason accomplishments...

vCash
    Who is Jeff Goodman?

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    What gets me with these ass hats is that it's like the coaches are choosing between two locations to retire or vacation. Ben Howland is a basketball coach and will be coaching/recruiting the majority of the time. When he has some down time all he has to do is hop on a jet and fly to his home in Cali if he wants scenery, top restaurants, the beach or whatever he is looking for.

17 these pricks

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post

Outstanding observation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Outstanding observation.
    It will be interesting, for sure. It could turn out, though, that a couple of these SEC coaches take some of those jobs. If Donovan went to UNC, for example, and Pearl rehabilitated his image enough to take a job like Louisville, it would shift back.

I think guys like Stevens, Smart, and Marshall are primed to take those jobs, though.