Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howland Expectations?

vCash

Howland Expectations?

Everyone is pumped about the hire, so there must be a lot of high expectations. What are they? I'd like to know what everyone's expectations are after year 1, 3, and even longer term. What is a success/failure? Maybe even how long he will be here if he does win big, or fails to meet expectations?

Personally, I want to get back to the tournament, and quick. Obviously first, I'd just like improvement. If he is indeed a great coach, there's no reason we can't be in the NIT by year 2 and the NCAA tourny by year 4. I will be disappointed with less results than this.

vCash
    I think we'll be an nit team next season. If we get Malik, ncaa tourney

vCash
    Same as anybody that isn't doing a major rebuild:

NCAA Tourney 3 out of 5 years with a Sweet 16 or better in that time frame
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Same as anybody that isn't doing a major rebuild:

NCAA Tourney 3 out of 5 years with a Sweet 16 or better in that time frame
    Glad to hear that. Expectations should be high.

vCash
    Frankly, I don't really have expectations. We got the right coach, and we know that. Obviously if he doesn't make the Tournament in the first 3-4 years or something crazy, things change.

But he took a disaster of a Pitt program and won the Big East in 3 years. He took over a dumpster fire at UCLA and was in the Final 4 in year 3.

Whatever expectations people have, he will meet.

I don't care what we do in year one, but it could be fun.

vCash
    It's time he starts winning the whole thing... We have had a final four. He needs to do something never been done.....

vCash
    Most hope for 'immediate' impact by hiring a good recruiting staff .. adding 1 or 2 new players for next year's team will hugely increase interest. Based on Horatio's words, Howland has a better chance at Malik's signature than the former staff did. Maybe adding a +frontline player too.

Unite the fractured fan base and win over the students. Think he is well on his way of doing both. Ray was in a horrible position of 'replacing' the winningest coach in our history and he just never really was a 'rallying point' for the divided base or students. This was his 'first' HC job and he had to learn on the fly. Think even Strick knew that Ray was just in over his head.

Hopefully, he can get current players motivated to improve and we can return to winning BB. Would hope for NIT next year with the number of SRs returning. After next year .. much depends on his ability to recruit. He has proven that he knows 'how' to coach.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Not setting an expectation yet. I will after signing day, and depending how that goes, they may be very high or just hoping to go around 500

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    Everyone is pumped about the hire, so there must be a lot of high expectations. What are they? I'd like to know what everyone's expectations are after year 1, 3, and even longer term. What is a success/failure? Maybe even how long he will be here if he does win big, or fails to meet expectations?

Personally, I want to get back to the tournament, and quick. Obviously first, I'd just like improvement. If he is indeed a great coach, there's no reason we can't be in the NIT by year 2 and the NCAA tourny by year 4. I will be disappointed with less results than this.
    We are an NIT team in year one if he is a great coach, barring being derailed by injuries. Even though our record wasn't close this year, we are not crazy far off. We should see our defense get better, which will allow us to score some more in transition. The challenge we have is if he doesn't bring in two or three players that can play immediately, I'm not sure we'll have the bodies to consistently run. Provided he does get a little bit of extra help (doesn't have to be blue chip, but basically at least as good as Sword/Thomas/Ware when they were freshmen), I think we are going to see enough immediate improvement to get to the NIT.

vCash
    undefeated and a NCAA championship first year
    ?The nose of the Bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    It's time he starts winning the whole thing... We have had a final four. He needs to do something never been done.....
    Wut

vCash
    I personally think we can make the NIT with what we have returning, especially adding Howland. So if we get Malik somehow, I see no reason that we can't make the big dance year one. We will be confident due to Howland alone, and people don't realize that Newman could be a Tyreke Evans/Derrick Rose type potentially, so the sky is the limit if we get him.

Without Newman, NIT.

vCash
    depends on what the team looks like. Going to be some significant turnover and a lot of new faces too.

vCash
    Yep- some roster turnover is coming
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    depends on what the team looks like. Going to be some significant turnover and a lot of new faces too.
    I doubt this. There will probably be a little turnover, but with so many guys that will be juniors and seniors, it just doesn't make sense that we'll have many leave.

Howland mentioned going after some guys, but he also said there aren't many left at this point, so it seems he's not expecting to go out and add a bunch.

I would think we'll add Malik and Kasongo if we can get them, then maybe one more. Strugg may not be part of the class, and you never know on Weatherspoon or Tookie, but that still only means another one or two on the roster could be gone.

Senior Member PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE's Avatar
    vCash
    With a roster full of upperclassmen who have been in the program, the NIT was repeatedly cited as Ray's floor for next year. Anything less w/ a senior-laden team would have been a disappointment. To me, with such a drastic improvement between coaching staffs, that floor has to be raised. Whether it be a deep NIT run, an NCAA invite, or what have you, I expect this coming year's team to outperform the previous expectations placed on them with Ray at the helm.

In concrete terms, I expect a deep NIT run w/ no transfers & no Newman; Deep SEC tourney run & NCAA invite w/ no immediate impact transfers & Malik in maroon.

The 2016-17 season I expect to see the foundation of what Coach Howland teams will look like at State. Every interview I've seen since UCLA he's emphasized transition, running after makes & misses. I think he will recruit to fit this style, and he has shown that he will recruit to take advantage of the type of player the surrounding area offers. I expect Howland to target the kind of hyper-athletic, perhaps unrefined, player that is typical of the south and the AAU scene. I think D Houston & Tookie B will be great pieces to build around for this style of play.

I expect 2016-17 to be our only "rebuilding" year, where we see a dip in W/L record. This is the year we will see the definitive style and direction of the program under Howl, and the pieces in place to build around. Postseason will be a great goal for this team, but not a disappointment if not met. From this point forward we will experience a rapid, upward trend in performance and expectations.

vCash
    People set the NIT as the base expectation for Ray keeping his job, not necessarily what was probable given our roster.

I don't know what we'll be next year, and if we don't get Newman, I don't care.

I know that within 3 years, we'll be contending in the SEC.

vCash
    We will be dancing baby!

vCash
    I'm willing to put and over/ under of 3... maybe up to five.

vCash
    A Top NIT seed and/or bubble NCAA Tourney team in year 1.
    NCAA Tourney in year 2.