Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS Fr OL Eglton Jenkins....and the OL projection

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash

RS Fr OL Eglton Jenkins....and the OL projection

i have talked with some guys in the know in the delta (clarksdale area) and they have said that EJ has been absolutely blowing up - in a great way - since arriving on campus. There is talk that he will more than likely crack the 2-deep this year. Talk about a kid that came from out of nowhere with his recruitment and very few positives, and now this.

I know a lot of ppl have really down-played our chances this year, specifically about what happens if Martinas Rankin cannot come in and win the starting spot outright. Truth is, there are a few guys that have a big say in who gets it. Guys like Cole Carter, who really did well in garbage time last season, or even Jocquell Johnson, who ended RS i believe when he got here from juco.

OT
    Justin Senior
    Cole Carter
    Rufus Warren
    Martinas Rankin* ( 2015 juco signee, already on campus)
    Micheal Story * ( 2015 signee, already on campus)
    Harrison Moon* (2015 signee) (may start work at the interior)
    Damien Robinson ( yeah, may be coming back, but can't hurt to have decent depth)

OG
    Devon Desper
    Justin Malone
    Deion Calhoun (possibly see time at C rotation)
    Jocquell Johnson ( possibly be in the mix at OT this fall)
    Elgton Jenkins
    Jake Thomas
    Ronald Cochran

C
    Jamaal Clayborn
    Kent Flowers ( rotating between C and OG)
    Darryl Williams* (2015 signee)

With the exceptions of Cole Carter, who had tremendous potential but played at a very small school and little competition, Ronald Cochran, who was a last minute, under-the-radar signing, Micheal Story getting to campus before his recruitment was about to BLOW UP, and finally Elgton Jenkins who was also an unknown commodity but has blown up since arriving on campus, every one of these players were 3* or higher players.
    That's 17 - SEVENTEEN - players who are actually decent talent to build a line around. let's for argument sake, take out the FROSH, there's still 10+ guys to work with. To say that we are hurting at OL is not true. Untested/unproven, yes. but definitely good ability, smarts, and talent to make a great line with.
    "When opportunity knocks, ask for two forms of ID, because it is probably just trouble in disguise" - Tickle #Discovery Channel

vCash
    I LOL every time someone concern trolls with these impending OL issues under Hevesy that haven't manifested themselves in 4+ seasons -- and only did initially because of Croom neglecting the position for multiple recruiting classes + a rash of injuries. Fact is -- we would have been fine in 2011 if Tobias Smith, Carmon, and Saulsberry stay healthy through Auburn and don't get Relf's ribs cracked against LSU...

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Opening Day 2 Deep IMO

LT - Rankin/Jenkins
    LG - Malone/Flowers
    C- Clayborn/Calhoun
    RG - Desper/Thomas
    RT - Senior/Warren

vCash
    I'm not sure what recruiting service you are referencing when you say that all of those guys besides Jenkins were 3 stars or higher, but I'm pretty sure a few more like Cochran were 2 star guys. But that said, the majority of those players were 3 star guys.

I think that illustrates the inaccuracies of the star system when rating o-linemen.

The Hevesey can't recruit meme is silly and unfounded. He might be the best o-line coach we have had since Rick Trickett under Jackie.

vCash
    That's a really solid 2-deep, and it sets up to be good for several years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm not sure what recruiting service you are referencing when you say that all of those guys besides Jenkins were 3 stars or higher, but I'm pretty sure a few more like Cochran were 2 star guys. But that said, the majority of those players were 3 star guys.
    He said Carter, Story, Cochran, and Jenkins were below 3-stars.

vCash
    I'm not worried about our OL. I've heard that we may run more counters and traps due to athleticism on the OL.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." James "Mad Dog" Mattis, General/USMC August 2006

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mcain31 View Post
    I'm not worried about our OL. I've heard that we may run more counters and traps due to athleticism on the OL.
    I'm all for this. I miss the Dixon counters. Those things were magic in Mullen's first year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm all for this. I miss the Dixon counters. Those things were magic in Mullen's first year.
    I noticed in the Texas A&M game that Desper started, it seemed like we had him pulling a lot- a lot more than we did with Beckwith. It makes me wonder if we may start to see more of that next year.

I think we have the potential to have more variety with our weapons on offense than we did last year. I hope that comes to fruition at least. We've never really had a Percy Harvin position type of guy like Dear has the potential to be, we haven't had a good H-back/FB guy since Hanrahan and I hope than Rashun Dixon can maybe fill that role, plus our best slot guy missed most of the year- but Gray, Deddrick Thomas, and Myles give us good depth there.

Realistically, I don't expect it to happen like I'm envisioning though.

vCash
    Our coaching staff ( and others as well ) knew about Elgton back when he was jr. and knew about his physical potential. The big question concerning Elgton was his academic elgibility and until the end of the fall semester of his sr. year it didn't look like he would qualify. He surprised folks by becoming eligible pretty much at the last minute. He was wanting to go to school with his buddy JT Gray all along and when the Tee Shephard situation went south it all fell into place. From what I have been hearing, he has been excelling both on and off the field, and you are right, he will probably be a big part of the 2-deep equation. The same sources are saying that if progress continues the way it has been, he could very well be in the starting equation by season's end. I guess he is what you would call a true sleeper or diamond in the rough type of find. Am also hearing some very good things about Calhoun as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Opening Day 2 Deep IMO

LT - Rankin/Jenkins
    LG - Malone/Flowers
    C- Clayborn/Calhoun
    RG - Desper/Thomas
    RT - Senior/Warren
    This seems to be the consistent thinking of how it will shake out
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I feel like we have four pretty proven starters.

Justin Malone
    Justin Senior
    Devon Desper
    Jamaal Clayborn

Then we have another group where we feel pretty certain the offense won't implode if they play.

Martinas Rankin
    Cole Carter
    Rufus Warren
    Damien Robinson
    Jake Thomas
    Jocquell Johnson
    Kent Flowers

We really just need two of the second group to belong in the first group and we will be in pretty good shape against all but the two or three best defenses in the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    This seems to be the consistent thinking of how it will shake out
    So has Carter just plateaued or regressed? Or was all that talk about him passing Senior for a little while just put out there by the coaches to motivate Senior?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    So has Carter just plateaued or regressed? Or was all that talk about him passing Senior for a little while just put out there by the coaches to motivate Senior?
    When was this? Senior was put at RT to compete for a starting job last year against Robinson & Warren. Carter wasn't in that competition.

vCash
    No, Carter is progressing- but Rankin is a 4-star talent and Jenkins is a natural. Every player earns it at State under this coaching staff- and Carter will have his chance to get it done this Spring. Its up to him to change the thinking heading into August

vCash
    Carter needs to show some things this spring or he's going to be buried & may have to search for P/T elsewhere. Ball is in his court this spring.

vCash
    I feel like we have four pretty proven starters.

Justin Malone
    Justin Senior
    Devon Desper
    Jamaal Clayborn

Then we have another group where we feel pretty certain the offense won't implode if they play.

Martinas Rankin
    Cole Carter
    Rufus Warren
    Damien Robinson
    Jake Thomas
    Jocquell Johnson
    Kent Flowers

We really just need two of the second group to belong in the first group and we will be in pretty good shape against all but the two or three best defenses in the SEC.
    the 2 or 3 best defenses in the SEC derailed our season last year, and a lot of it was on us. im not signing up for that again, we need to be good enough to be able to run the ball on them up front, and our coaches need to be good enough to not to the same thing over and over again like they did

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    the 2 or 3 best defenses in the SEC derailed our season last year, and a lot of it was on us. im not signing up for that again, we need to be good enough to be able to run the ball on them up front
    We did in both 2nd halves when we decided to stop running so much sideways BS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    the 2 or 3 best defenses in the SEC derailed our season last year, and a lot of it was on us. im not signing up for that again, we need to be good enough to be able to run the ball on them up front, and our coaches need to be good enough to not to the same thing over and over again like they did
    I'd be willing to bet that the top 2 or 3 defenses in the SEC derailed a lot of people. I can't think of a game where I could say that the offense was completely shut down- maybe the first half against Alabama?

Our defense- which also wasn't bad- hurt us more in our losses IMO. I think a lot of that was due to injuries and the 1A/1B stuff more than anything though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that the top 2 or 3 defenses in the SEC derailed a lot of people. I can't think of a game where I could say that the offense was completely shut down- maybe the first half against Alabama?

Our defense- which also wasn't bad- hurt us more in our losses IMO. I think a lot of that was due to injuries and the 1A/1B stuff more than anything though.
    Our defense lost the game vs Ole Missus...over 500 yards- enough said

We were down 6 points to Bammer on the road in the 4th Q- and we let their offense pick up 4 3rd downs as they drove the ball 75 yards to put the game away- thats on the D. Especially picking up a 3rd and 8 and a 3rd and 10. Thats not on the offense. We got a stop there and we have a chance to win the game