Thread: Street Style Elk Tacos

vCash

Street Style Elk Tacos

Another snow day at home today, and I got tired of creating PowerPoint slides and decided to do a quick post on some elk tacos we made recently.

I have been a fan of Rick Bayless? cooking for some time, after watching his ?Mexico One Plate at a Time? show on PBS for years. His company now makes a series of packaged food products, mostly skillet sauces and other mixes, marketed under Frontera Food Products. If you ever get the chance, pick some of these up as they are terrific.

I love street style tacos, and frequent a taco truck in HSV often to get my fix. For this iteration, I used the Texas Taco Sauce, and while garlicky, was very good. I garnished with some raw red onion, fresh cilantro and Arriba fire roasted salsa, but forgot the crumbled fresco cheese which would have put it over the top.

Overall, we continue to be impressed with how the elk meat fits in to our everyday life, and these tacos were a delicious, quick mid-week treat. The best part is we have not even started eating on the good parts of the elk yet!

vCash
    I've watched 5 or 6 of his shows this winter and like him more each time. Having spent about 20 years in Texas, I'm a fan of TexMex fare, but learning more about true Mexican cuisine has some attraction too. I do a pretty good job with fajitas and quesadillas. Your tacos look good, and I'm sure elk is good done right. Some of the best chili I've ever made was half beef and half venison.

We had a little party last Friday (25-30 folks) and I made 3 kinds of chili to serve. A couple of friends are vegetarian, so for the first time ever I made a vegetarian chili. Another version I called Bird Chili, with ground turkey and diced chicken (I make a chicken chili all the time, first time to use ground turkey with it). Then a beef and pork chorizo version. Made a pot each day Tue, Wed and Thur. Only thing left at the end of the night Friday was a smidge of the veggie version.

It was a lot of fun, but the next time I'll want any chili will be next fall. It's time for grillin' dammit!