Thread: Late Season Small Game and Camo Testing

vCash

Late Season Small Game and Camo Testing

Went out for the last day of small game hunting today, and came up with a big nada. It was cold, there was still lots of snow on the ground, and a bit windy so that likely had something to do with the outcome. No rabbit stew for us this year.

This trip did afford me the ability to do some camo testing while afield. As I was getting ready for my elk hunt this year I needed a camo system upgrade. I found the ASAT pattern during this time, and it was the most different pattern I had ever seen. After much research, I purchased an ASAT leafy suit this year, but have limited work with it in the field thus far. Turkey season should change that, however. I have also begun the process to change all my hunting clothes out from cotton to a layering system of merino wool or wicking polyester.

In the pictures below I am wearing a Realtree Xtra bottom which is a Gander Mountian Guide Series wx resistant polyester outer shell. In the first photo, the pants are paired with an First Lite XD ASAT top, and the second photo is a First Lite Fusion top. I also refinished the pictures into black and white, as many folks believe this is a good approximation of how deer and elk see.

I am interested to hear thoughts on this, as I don?t want to pollute feedback by posting my own thouts yet. When looking at camo pics, I try to focus on the top right corner of the pic to see if the human form jumps out in my peripheral vision.

ASAT:

Fusion:

Black and White ASAT:

B&W Fusion: *

vCash
    The Fusion seems to work better to me. In both the color and B&W pictures.

vCash
    sorry no rabbits Saturday.....we shot 30 Saturday morning here on some private land in the ms delta

vCash
    fusion for sure, but the ASAT may be better if you were against a tree in a stand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawg4Life View Post
    The Fusion seems to work better to me. In both the color and B&W pictures.
    I will date myself with this but remembering the early 80's +/- a year or two when treebark came out. It was perfect for pine trees but nothing else.

vCash
    The Fusion looks better in that backdrop, color and B&W.

Were you hunting with dogs?

My buddy is an avid rabbit hunter. He said his Beagles did pretty good in the snow (he usually says they have a hard time with a heavy frost on the ground), but the rabbits were acting weird - running kinda like deer rather than the small circles you normally see. This is at a camp out west of Grenada in the edge of the delta. He didn't bitch or brag, so that probably means they were getting somewhere between 5-10 a day the last few days of the season.
    Last edited by DancingRabbit; 03-04-2015 at 01:12 AM.

vCash
    No dogs. I am a public land hunter only, so I was stalk hunting any and all small game in a river bottom owned by TVA. It's always a tough go, but I can generally pick up a couple over the course of a year.