Thread: Pickles and Sauce for BBQ Pork

vCash

Pickles and Sauce for BBQ Pork

Since we are talking about pickling things today, and all out BBQ season is almost on us, I wanted to share some pickles and sauce I made last year since I spent way too much time experimenting with all things BBQ. One thing that I wanted to do was ensure I could use all my garden cucumbers by pickling them, but had not found a recipe I liked that paired well with my pulled pork. I also wanted a no-hassle vinegar based sauce. My research and experimentation led to these:

Pickles: These are the best homemade pickles I have ever had. They are flavorful, and stay crispy. I used the recipe and instructions here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=545

One modification is on the salt - six tablespoons of pickling salt is WAY too much for me. I have found my sweet spot somewhere around four tablespoons. I used sliced habaneros in the last batch, and they really gave them a nice kick. These are fridge pickles, so no need to process and put on the shelf. That is what makes them soggy, anyway.

Sauce: I spent much time in VA last year visiting my in-laws, so it was only fitting I ran across this old time VA vinegar sauce. I made a batch when cooking for them, and this has now become my go-to pork sauce. Really easy to put together, no mods for me here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...11&postcount=1

Enjoy.

vCash
    Nice! I think I'm gonna make some pickles too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    Since we are talking about pickling things today, and all out BBQ season is almost on us, I wanted to share some pickles and sauce I made last year since I spent way too much time experimenting with all things BBQ. One thing that I wanted to do was ensure I could use all my garden cucumbers by pickling them, but had not found a recipe I liked that paired well with my pulled pork. I also wanted a no-hassle vinegar based sauce. My research and experimentation led to these:

Pickles: These are the best homemade pickles I have ever had. They are flavorful, and stay crispy. I used the recipe and instructions here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&postcount=545

One modification is on the salt - six tablespoons of pickling salt is WAY too much for me. I have found my sweet spot somewhere around four tablespoons. I used sliced habaneros in the last batch, and they really gave them a nice kick. These are fridge pickles, so no need to process and put on the shelf. That is what makes them soggy, anyway.

Sauce: I spent much time in VA last year visiting my in-laws, so it was only fitting I ran across this old time VA vinegar sauce. I made a batch when cooking for them, and this has now become my go-to pork sauce. Really easy to put together, no mods for me here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...11&postcount=1

Enjoy.
    I just made the pickles. Will let you know how they shake out.

vCash
    Cool. I found it took a few days for them to really start tasting good. Then I couldn't stop eating them. I also made some wedges vs slices that turned out well.