Thread: Yucatan Onion

vCash

Yucatan Onion

So here's something that I got into a few years ago. I keep a bowl of this on my table. It's basically pickled red onion. It goes great with any grilled meat. It also is quite tasty by itself. I usually throw in a few slices of cucumber, just because I like 'em. This makes great table-fare, and you'll find yourself just snacking on them. If you like onions, that is.

It's easy to throw together, and is usually ready to go in about 3 hours. I let mine hang out for at least a day before I start eating them. I'll throw in more onion slices as it gets low. You'll be able to tell when you need to just start over. I don't have any hard numbers for how long you can re-use the brine.

The recipe isn't really scientific. I just eyeball it, for the most part. Taste as you go; Normal cooking rules apply.

-White Vinegar
    -Red Wine Vinegar (1/3 of the amount of White Vinegar that you put in)
    -Few shakes of Oregano
    -Few shakes of Parsley flakes
    -Palmfull of peppercorns

In this particular batch, I changed it up some. I had a few lemons that were going bad (ran out of Gin at home, so I wasn't using lemons as frequently), so I dehydrated the slices. I threw in a slice of this dehydrated lemon, and it really added a nice citrus note to the onions/cucumbers.

vCash
    That is awesome. It's crazy that you post that because I've been working on a chicken and waffle dish in my head where the chicken it topped with pickled red onion. The dish already has savory and sweet aspects and I'm theorizing the pickeled onion and that vinegar will add another aspect that really sets it off. Thanks for posting that recipe. I'll be using it.
    Last edited by BeastMan; 02-08-2015 at 02:42 PM.

vCash
    You bet. It's really versitile. That's why I keep a bowl on the table.

You'll really like it with something sweet. That Chicken/waffle combo will really work well with the tart of the pickled onion. I just got through eating my last popsikle chicken leg, and that sweet BBQ sauce coupled with the onion is just heaven. Perfect compliments.

Enjoy!

vCash
    I've been doing something kinda similar for years, but will try your recipe, but maybe with just the onion. Your post and Beast's gave me idea that this would be great on a burger or sausage dog.

What I've always done is more cucumber oriented. I peel and slice a couple of cukes, slice 1 or 2 red onions then pour a bottle of good italian dressing over it. Add a little salt and fresh ground pepper, and then let it sit in the fridge for a day. Usually I make a 2nd batch with the same dressing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    I've been doing something kinda similar for years, but will try your recipe, but maybe with just the onion. Your post and Beast's gave me idea that this would be great on a burger or sausage dog.
    Yes, it's fine for both. I like 1/2 kraut to 1/2 Yucatan Onion. It's awesome.

What I've always done is more cucumber oriented. I peel and slice a couple of cukes, slice 1 or 2 red onions then pour a bottle of good italian dressing over it. Add a little salt and fresh ground pepper, and then let it sit in the fridge for a day. Usually I make a 2nd batch with the same dressing.
    Yeah, that works too. I did mine from a traditional Yucatan (Mayan) recipe. Being from the Coast of MS, I was researching traditional Gulf of Mexico cuisine. This was one of the pieces that piqued my interest. Of course, it's twisted a bit to suit my style, but for the most part, it's consistant with tradition. Which is part of why I like it. Doesn't matter how you like it, if it's good, have at it!
    Last edited by jbjones; 02-08-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spelling; Damn I'm a moron