Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Ray

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Yes I do. And I'm not saying Ray can't earn another year. I just don't think the size of our crowd should play any part in keeping or removing Ray. That is why you see so many of our fans quit going to games. Yes, part of it is wins...but another part of it is that we have a group of fans that see a large crowd as a positive for keeping a coach. In my opinion, the crowd should be big every game, and the coach's performance should be based on what he does not he court, not how many people go to the games.
    I'm not arguing on the crowd, I'm arguing on the fact that the team is improving. Chicken is finally getting back healthy, and when we lost those games early Gavin didn't play.

By the way, Roq had 24 and 11 today.

vCash
    We can stop talking about the "down" sec though. There's 8 teams in the top 56 in rpi right now. Most of the league is vastly improved. Still don't have the number of elite squads you'd like to see. But there aren't any pushovers right now.

vCash
    Ok, so you don't want a coach that can take our program to a higher level? You do realize that his discipline, drug problems, etc were all part of the LEVEL we were at, right? It's all inclusive. In fact, you led the charge about Stans not being able to take us beyond a Sweet 16. So don't act like you didn't want our program at the next level. You did, you said it over and over and over for years.
    I'm well aware of what I SAID and what I WANTED. And many of us felt the same way. But the actual reason he was replaced was because he wouldnt agree to the demands made on him by Strick and Keenum. Weight program, holding players accountable, stronger drug measures, etc...thats why he was let go.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post
    I'm not arguing on the crowd, I'm arguing on the fact that the team is improving. Chicken is finally getting back healthy, and when we lost those games early Gavin didn't play.

I agree they are improving. At the same time, they SHOULD be improving...it is year 3 and we have a core group of Juniors. What I'm saying is, at what point is "improving" enough? When you suck as bad as we have at times under Ray, taking a baby step each year won't get us to the tourney until 10 years from now. I'm not saying he has to make a Sweet 16 this year or next, but look at the losses we've had this season. I just don't think all those can be erased because of our last 3 games of effort.

Although, I will say it is encouraging to see how we've played lately. I just don't think we have to allow the extreme suck we've been at, to lower our standards to where we see a 6 point home loss as a victory.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 01-24-2015 at 06:08 PM.

vCash
    We didn't force Stans out. He was given ultimatums he decided he couldn't live with and decided to walk. It's very obvious from the early stages of the coaching search that Strick hadn't expected to have to hire a coach. Maybe he should have...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I'm well aware of what I SAID and what I WANTED. And many of us felt the same way. But the actual reason he was replaced was because he wouldnt agree to the demands made on him by Strick and Keenum. Weight program, holding players accountable, stronger drug measures, etc...thats why he was let go.
    So if we had made it to the Elite 8 his final year we would have sent him on his way?

vCash
    So if we had made it to the Elite 8 his final year we would have sent him on his way?
    No context of what happened that last year would have stayed the same if we had continued to win up to our talent level and made a run in March. Had he Biancod himself into the second weekend, he'd most likely still be here. Or he might have chosen to walk then if given ultimatums as well. Gotta be a lot more delicate in demands when a coach is on top vs a crumbling dumpster Fire with elite talent....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Zuppardo/black will fill in for johnson just fine
    And Travis Daniels will be our best player this year**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raytoraid83 View Post
    Ok. Black is a talented player who should benefit greatly from a college offseason. Black is much farther along than johnson was as a freshman

vCash
    Let the season play out. Then decide.

vCash
    Black is much farther along than johnson was as a freshman
    Absolutely and not even close...Hell, Roq RS'ed
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Engie, I'm w you. Happy w the effort over the last 4 games and the aggressiveness on the offensive end. I don't want us to suck at basketball and I like these players. I'm kinda torn. I always thought year 3 with Ray and the 3 juniors that we should at least make the NIT. And we should have made it this year. After the 8 game skid I had made my mind up that I wanted Ray gone. And I am still leaning that way. But it is impressive that he somehow got this teams head out of their ass and they are finally playing with the effort required to be in games and get some wins. I want us to win more than we lose from here on out and then I may change my view on what needs to happen.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post

25 and 11...close enough, bud. :P
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    If we keep playing like we have been, I think it's a moot point whether we want ray back or not. He'll be back.

vCash
    Don't know if this has been posted yet because I don't read every post on the board about basketball. Is there anyway in the future that we could switch the student section to the other side so that the opposing team is trying to score on that end in the 2nd half? It would seem more effective that the opposing team is shooting free throws into a couple hundred students instead of 60 adults and kids behind the basket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MadisonDawg View Post
    Don't know if this has been posted yet because I don't read every post on the board about basketball. Is there anyway in the future that we could switch the student section to the other side so that the opposing team is trying to score on that end in the 2nd half? It would seem more effective that the opposing team is shooting free throws into a couple hundred students instead of 60 adults and kids behind the basket.
    I thought the same thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raytoraid83 View Post
    He's one of our best pure shooters, if not our best.
    Happy Festivus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Crowds affect the outcome of games- thats a fact. So people need to show up and help this team. If they still dont get it done- fire Ray's ass.
    The Hump had solid moments today that reminded me of 2004. It was loud and we started to roll after a big dunk. Team's hustle went up a knotch and then Frazier would drain a 3 from halfcourt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    The Hump had solid moments today that reminded me of 2004. It was loud and we started to roll after a big dunk. Team's hustle went up a knotch and then Frazier would drain a 3 from halfcourt.
    Or he'd drive in the lane and throw one up that would go down

vCash
    I thought the same thing
    I know most schools do this. I sit in my dad's seats most of the time, but it would seem that it would be more intimidating if nothing else. Heck put the band over there too, those guys get rowdy during games.