Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Ray

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Rick Ray

Y'all go ahead and kill me for this, but give him another year. The students are 100% behind this team. I'm finally seeing improvement, and it's a lot of improvement. Bring him back for one more and see what he can do with Witherspoon and the Simonds.

vCash
    And to add on to my post, the students are showing up. We've been there the last 2 games and we've been loud. To the alumni on the board, it is now your turn. The crowd does make a difference and it's sad that the hump isn't at least 3/4 of the way full.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post
    And to add on to my post, the students are showing up. We've been there the last 2 games and we've been loud. To the alumni on the board, it is now your turn. The crowd does make a difference and it's sad that the hump isn't at least 3/4 of the way full.
    I agree. I looked up and was actually proud of the students the past few times. We filled up the entire lower bowl of the student section and filtered in a few more up top. The rest of the stadium was fairly empty. The team feeds off of energy and you can see it when they play. I know you want to bitch and moan about Ray, but don't punish the players for you hating the coach.

I can already hear you now, "Well if we show up, then Stricklin will think things are going well and he'll sign Ray to an extension." No. Scott sees the product on the court. This team is improving. We just fought hard against possibly the #2 or #3 team in the SEC this year, and took them to the wire. The students see this and have shown up. You want to see a better team, then will THIS team to be better.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    need some more wins- and I agree the alumni need to get their ass there. I will be there next month
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    need some more wins- and I agree the alumni need to get their ass there. I will be there next month
    Thank you coach. I will say this, I'm a rick ray fan and he gets the most out of his players. He has turned Roq into a 20 and 10 guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post
    Thank you coach. I will say this, I'm a rick ray fan and he gets the most out of his players. He has turned Roq into a 20 and 10 guy.
    What do you mean by "20 and 10 guy"? I hope not points and rebounds. Possibly 20+ minutes and 10+ rebounds and points combined. I've been watching BBall in the Hump since the 80's and don't recall a true 20/10 player playing for us. Might be a little too much sunshine with that statement.

vCash
    Si minds is actually a 2016 guy, unfortunately. We'll add Tookie Brown, Weatherspoon, and Strugg next year.

vCash
    This is exactly why I feared people starting to go to these games. Crowds should be there every game, I agree....but they should have no impact on whether we keep a coach. Otherwise you're saying, "quit coming to games unless u want to keep Ray, because he will get credit for the big crowd."
    I agree that we have looked better, but we have to look at body of work, and it is WAY too early to start claiming Ray should get another year. In year 3, is "improvement" still the qualification for another year? At what point does he have to start putting a solid overall record out there in a weak conference?

I'm not saying he can't earn another year, but I'm far from ready to claim he has, just bc we beat Vandy and Auburn,a nd then closed a 12 point UGA lead down to 1 at home before losing by 6. Moral victories are for years 1 and 2....it's time to win.

This was my biggest fear in basketball. We're going to do just enough in the back half of the year to show life, and to erase the front half losses against shit teams....and it will leave our fanbase divided, and we will likely keep Ray.

I may end up wrong, but I think what we will find out is that Ray is a decent coach, that can win enough to get us to the NIt by year 4 or 5. But is that what we hired him for? We forced Stans out because we wanted someone to take us to the next level...."hustle", "improvement", and "maybe we can be better next year", is the type of shit you hire Junior High Coaches to do. I want a winner in here, and as much as I like Ray the person, I do not ever see him getting us to an NCAA Tourney, much less a Sweet 16 or beyond.

Oh well, maybe I'm wrong. I knew this would happen if we won a few games.
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 01-24-2015 at 05:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    We forced Stans out because we wanted someone to take us to the next level.....
    No. We forced Stands out because of the lack of discipline, drug problems, and all the off court drama. He wasnt fired because he only made the NIT

vCash
    No. We forced Stands out because of the lack of discipline, drug problems, and all the off court drama. He wasnt fired because he only made the NIT
    Ok, so you don't want a coach that can take our program to a higher level? You do realize that his discipline, drug problems, etc were all part of the LEVEL we were at, right? It's all inclusive. In fact, you led the charge about Stans not being able to take us beyond a Sweet 16. So don't act like you didn't want our program at the next level. You did, you said it over and over and over for years.

Either way, you're changing the main point of the discussion. Now that we got rid of the discipline problems, are we satisfied with shitty seasons as long as we play hard and win a few games, and maybe improve a little every other year?
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 01-24-2015 at 05:56 PM.

vCash
    Ok, so you don't want a coach that can take our program to a higher level? You do realize that his discipline, drug problems, etc were all part of the LEVEL we were at, right? It's all inclusive. In fact, you led the charge about Stans not being able to take us beyond a Sweet 16. So don't act like you didn't want our program at the next level. You did, you said it over and over and over for years.
    I'm well aware of what I SAID and what I WANTED. And many of us felt the same way. But the actual reason he was replaced was because he wouldnt agree to the demands made on him by Strick and Keenum. Weight program, holding players accountable, stronger drug measures, etc...thats why he was let go.

vCash
    I'm well aware of what I SAID and what I WANTED. And many of us felt the same way. But the actual reason he was replaced was because he wouldnt agree to the demands made on him by Strick and Keenum. Weight program, holding players accountable, stronger drug measures, etc...thats why he was let go.
    So if we had made it to the Elite 8 his final year we would have sent him on his way?

Banned
    vCash
    when you were on the "fire stands" program it was always because he couldn't get us to the next level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    when you were on the "fire stands" program it was always because he couldn't get us to the next level.
    ok- what's your point? (Although I always mentioned his lack of discipline as one of the reasons he'd never make it)

vCash
    This is called "changing the talking points" when the reality sets in that the new coach will probably never reach the level that was unacceptable from the previous coach.

Banned
    vCash
    This is exactly why I feared people starting to go to these games. Crowds should be there every game, I agree....but they should have no impact on whether we keep a coach. Otherwise you're saying, "quit coming to games unless u want to keep Ray, because he will get credit for the big crowd."
    I agree that we have looked better, but we have to look at body of work, and it is WAY too early to start claiming Ray should get another year. In year 3, is "improvement" still the qualification for another year? At what point does he have to start putting a solid overall record out there in a weak conference?

I'm not saying he can't earn another year, but I'm far from ready to claim he has, just bc we beat Vandy and Auburn,a nd then closed a 12 point UGA lead down to 1 at home before losing by 6. Moral victories are for years 1 and 2....it's time to win.

This was my biggest fear in basketball. We're going to do just enough in the back half of the year to show life, and to erase the front half losses against shit teams....and it will leave our fanbase divided, and we will likely keep Ray.

I may end up wrong, but I think what we will find out is that Ray is a decent coach, that can win enough to get us to the NIt by year 4 or 5. But is that what we hired him for? We forced Stans out because we wanted someone to take us to the next level...."hustle", "improvement", and "maybe we can be better next year", is the type of shit you hire Junior High Coaches to do. I want a winner in here, and as much as I like Ray the person, I do not ever see him getting us to an NCAA Tourney, much less a Sweet 16 or beyond.

Oh well, maybe I'm wrong. I knew this would happen if we won a few games.
    hammer... meet nail head!

vCash
    Our "best" games always seem to be close losses. What or who is gonna put this team over the edge next year? Another 5'8 pg so we can watch guards that averages 9ppg put up 30+ on us? We'll miss Roq next year more than people realize too. Oliver Black isn't gonna fill those points Roq is graduating with. If we stay with Ray we will be stuck in mediocrity at best. Plain and simple.

vCash
    Crowds affect the outcome of games- thats a fact. So people need to show up and help this team. If they still dont get it done- fire Ray's ass.

vCash
    Crowds affect the outcome of games- thats a fact. So people need to show up and help this team. If they still dont get it done- fire Ray's ass.
    Exactly. The "students being 100% behind this team", is not a qualification for keeping a coach. The students should be 100% behind every team. I don't think Ray should get credit for fans showing up to games. And if he does, then people can't get mad when people stop going if they want him gone.

vCash
    The Hump had solid moments today that reminded me of 2004. It was loud and we started to roll after a big dunk. Team's hustle went up a knotch and then Frazier would drain a 3 from halfcourt.