Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rick Ray

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    This is exactly why I feared people starting to go to these games. Crowds should be there every game, I agree....but they should have no impact on whether we keep a coach. Otherwise you're saying, "quit coming to games unless u want to keep Ray, because he will get credit for the big crowd."
    I agree that we have looked better, but we have to look at body of work, and it is WAY too early to start claiming Ray should get another year. In year 3, is "improvement" still the qualification for another year? At what point does he have to start putting a solid overall record out there in a weak conference?

I'm not saying he can't earn another year, but I'm far from ready to claim he has, just bc we beat Vandy and Auburn,a nd then closed a 12 point UGA lead down to 1 at home before losing by 6. Moral victories are for years 1 and 2....it's time to win.

This was my biggest fear in basketball. We're going to do just enough in the back half of the year to show life, and to erase the front half losses against shit teams....and it will leave our fanbase divided, and we will likely keep Ray.

I may end up wrong, but I think what we will find out is that Ray is a decent coach, that can win enough to get us to the NIt by year 4 or 5. But is that what we hired him for? We forced Stans out because we wanted someone to take us to the next level...."hustle", "improvement", and "maybe we can be better next year", is the type of shit you hire Junior High Coaches to do. I want a winner in here, and as much as I like Ray the person, I do not ever see him getting us to an NCAA Tourney, much less a Sweet 16 or beyond.

Oh well, maybe I'm wrong. I knew this would happen if we won a few games.
    hammer... meet nail head!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post
    Cadaver do you realize the team we just played gave their coach a 4th year and look where they are now?
    You do realize he took them to the ncaa tourney and won 20something games in his 2nd season too, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    You do realize he took them to the ncaa tourney and won 20something games in his 2nd season too, right?
    Guess you think the teams they took over were equal. Fox inherited 2 nba players: Travis Leslie and trey thompkins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Guess you think the teams they took over were equal. Fox inherited 2 nba players: Travis Leslie and trey thompkins
    I think in year 3 with a core of juniors in the system for 3 years, if you haven't sniffed the postseason in years 1 and 2, then you damn well better make the NIT in year 3 if you want a chance to keep your job. Otherwise, what's a reasonable expectation for next year? The NIT in year 4 and graduate a majority of our production?

vCash
    I think in year 3 with a core of juniors in the system for 3 years, if you haven't sniffed the postseason in years 1 and 2, then you damn well better make the NIT in year 3 if you want a chance to keep your job. Otherwise, what's a reasonable expectation for next year? The NIT in year 4 and graduate a majority of our production?
    I certainly think we should've been an nit team this year. I'm not happy with where we are, but I see improvement. I just think there's zero chance Scott fires ray if we keep playing like we have lately. I'm not gonna pull against us, so I'm pulling for ray.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I certainly think we should've been an nit team this year. I'm not happy with where we are, but I see improvement. I just think there's zero chance Scott fires ray if we keep playing like we have lately. I'm not gonna pull against us, so I'm pulling for ray.
    Moral victories in year 3 don't cut it anymore. We can look improved on the court but if it doesn't translate to Ws (and I'm talking over .500 in the conference) then ray's gotta go. I'm definitely not convinced the last 2 weeks are a sign of things to come, because we've had spurts of mediocrity under ray before. If we bring in a good coach, he'll have a veteran core to make a splash with next year instead of starting over at ground zero again.

The worst thing that could happen to the program is for us to lose just pretty enough to keep ray another year with the ceiling expectations being to make the NIT and lose most of our production to graduation afterwards.
    Last edited by dawgs; 01-25-2015 at 03:51 AM.

vCash
    Moral victories in year 3 don't cut it anymore. We can look improved on the court but if it doesn't translate to Ws (and I'm talking over .500 in the conference) then ray's gotta go. I'm definitely not convinced the last 2 weeks are a sign of things to come, because we've had spurts of mediocrity under ray before. If we bring in a good coach, he'll have a veteran core to make a splash with next year instead of starting over at ground zero again.

The worst thing that could happen to the program is for us to lose just pretty enough to keep ray another year with the ceiling expectations being to make the NIT and lose most of our production to graduation afterwards.
    Simonds & hicks > ware, Fred, and sword in talent

vCash
    Biggest issue is attendance. Read today's newspaper - OM had a sellout with butts in the seats, including Malik. Our fans are not going to games. Like me saying this or not, but I still have 4 lower-level tickets and I am not going to waist my valuable time to attend games. I didn't even know who we were playing or if we won until this morning. Just know, there are a lot of State fans like me out there now - basketball has been ruined. (And if any of you want to criticize me for not going to games, ante up next year for the tickets, parking pass, and Bulldog Club dues - you can have mine because I am giving them up for the first time in many years. Going to buy more football and baseball tickets. Might even buy women's basketball tickets, since that coach can recruit and win games.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdawg View Post
    Biggest issue is attendance. Read today's newspaper - OM had a sellout with butts in the seats, including Malik. Our fans are not going to games. Like me saying this or not, but I still have 4 lower-level tickets and I am not going to waist my valuable time to attend games. I didn't even know who we were playing or if we won until this morning. Just know, there are a lot of State fans like me out there now - basketball has been ruined. (And if any of you want to criticize me for not going to games, ante up next year for the tickets, parking pass, and Bulldog Club dues - you can have mine because I am giving them up for the first time in many years. Going to buy more football and baseball tickets. Might even buy women's basketball tickets, since that coach can recruit and win games.)
    Ole miss was a sell out because it was a massive party all weekend. Even grown adults are partying with college students. This weekend is geared for it to be that way. It's a selling point to recruits. I prefer State to not do follow that path.

Banned
    vCash
    Ray has to go. UGA had a guy score 37 ****ing points on us and make 7 3s. Shit like this is why Ray must go. He is way way way too late to spot the most obvious. He is stuck in his own head being clueless to what's happening in the now. WAKE THE **** UP RAY AND PUT FRED ON THE DUDE MAKING EVERYTHING!! It was stated earlier but the best time to let Ray go is at the end of this year. Grow a set of testicles Stricklin and do it.

vCash
    yeah- this is Fredo's big recruiting weekend so they were obviously going to be packed
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    No. We forced Stands out because of the lack of discipline, drug problems, and all the off court drama. He wasnt fired because he only made the NIT
    when you were on the "fire stands" program it was always because he couldn't get us to the next level.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Ray has to go. UGA had a guy score 37 ****ing points on us and make 7 3s. Shit like this is why Ray must go. He is way way way too late to spot the most obvious. He is stuck in his own head being clueless to what's happening in the now. WAKE THE **** UP RAY AND PUT FRED ON THE DUDE MAKING EVERYTHING!! It was stated earlier but the best time to let Ray go is at the end of this year. Grow a set of testicles Stricklin and do it.
    HE LITERALLY COULD NOT F***ING MISS, 61. I was at the game, and some of the shots he was making were ridiculous. A three from Jimmer range, crazy circus shots. Sometimes you can't stop that, and you just have to hope the hot streak can't last. He did not miss a three all game, and some were ridiculous. Now...did he have wide-open threes? You bet your ass. But I think it was more of Frazier having the best game of his life.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    HE LITERALLY COULD NOT F***ING MISS, 61. I was at the game, and some of the shots he was making were ridiculous. A three from Jimmer range, crazy circus shots. Sometimes you can't stop that, and you just have to hope the hot streak can't last. He did not miss a three all game, and some were ridiculous. Now...did he have wide-open threes? You bet your ass. But I think it was more of Frazier having the best game of his life.
    Frazier beat us. If we played them again today, I'd rather Frazier try to beat us than Mann, Thornton, or Gaines. We did a good job on their best players and a guy that hit 10 3's all year coming in, hit 7 on us. A guy that avgs 9 points a game coming in hit us for 37 (sec record this year). I'm not sure how you blame ray for this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    You can say Ray needs to go and I won't argue with ya .. But you have no idea what ur talking about with this one..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    when you were on the "fire stands" program it was always because he couldn't get us to the next level.
    ok- what's your point? (Although I always mentioned his lack of discipline as one of the reasons he'd never make it)
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'm impressed that anyone still gives a shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    I think lack of discipline and underachieving went hand in hand Stans' last 5 years or so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I'm impressed that anyone still gives a shit.
    Reply to hack:
    Basketball is just too much damn fun when you're good to not care.

Not reply to hack:
    Like Cad said earlier, it's still to early to call to say we should or shouldn't fire him for sure. I thought we should've fired him earlier in the season, but I see now why that was the wrong thing to do. The right thing to do is wait and see. There is no absolute answer. Everyone keeps trying to say if you don't do this by season 3, or this coach did this at some other school by season whatever, etc.... Stop dealing with everything in absolutes. There is no "one size fits all" answer in sports. All we know right now is that Ray is indeed on the hot seat. As with all coaches, he must keep improving. He has been a disappointment thus far. We will only know for sure what to do at the end of the season. There is no magic number of wins.