Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nats

vCash
    Chipper Jones ?@RealCJ10
    Funny how every time a Scott Boras client is close to signing, there appears a 'mystery team'! I'd call his bluff and offer 20 mil less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Y'all have lost y'all's minds. Strasburg's ceiling is much higher. Injury risk is similar imo (both with TJ history). In a hypothetical world, if the Braves could take either Zimmermann or strasburg tomorrow, y'all would rather have Zimmermann?
    Yes...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Chipper Jones ?@RealCJ10
    Funny how every time a Scott Boras client is close to signing, there appears a 'mystery team'! I'd call his bluff and offer 20 mil less.
    I'm sure GMs that consistently make good trades and signings are well versed in the games agents play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Yes...
    Outside of being scared of another injury, there is literally no other reason to take Zimmermann. And as I said, Zimmermann had TJ surgery too.

vCash
    Outside of being scared of another injury, there is literally no other reason to take Zimmermann. And as I said, Zimmermann had TJ surgery too.
    Except for similar results and Zimmermann is a class act while strasburg is a punk

vCash
    I'm sure GMs that consistently make good trades and signings are well versed in the games agents play.
    Of course, the question, however, is if giving Max Scherzer a 7th year is a "good signing". Long term pitcher contracts almost exclusively don't work out.

If I were a GM, instead of giving Scherzer 7 years and 28/year, I'd rather give him 30+ mil per year for 4 or 5 years. It has a much better chance of working out well for your franchise long term, and the player may actually produce that much in the short term.

vCash
    Except for similar results and Zimmermann is a class act while strasburg is a punk
    Link to strasburg acting like a punk, or else you are talking out of your ass. As someone that's watched strasburg pitch more than anyone else in here, I'm betting you are talking out your ass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Of course, the question, however, is if giving Max Scherzer a 7th year is a "good signing". Long term pitcher contracts almost exclusively don't work out.

If I were a GM, instead of giving Scherzer 7 years and 28/year, I'd rather give him 30+ mil per year for 4 or 5 years. It has a much better chance of working out well for your franchise long term, and the player may actually produce that much in the short term.
    I would give him five and then a club option or two. They would probably settle for that.

vCash
    Chipper Jones ?@RealCJ10
    Chipper nailed it. Lol.

vCash

Signing a pitcher until age 37-38 is much much better than signing a bat until he's 40 in modern MLB. Scherzer might not be at his best throughout the life of the deal, but if he can learn to pitch without K'ing 10+ guys per 9IP as he ages, no reason he couldn't be a Roy Halliday or Hudson type in the last 3 or so years of that deal.

vCash
    It sounds like the deal is done. Scherzer to the Nats.

vCash
    11:24 AM
    @TylerKepner
    Had hunch Scherzer would try for record contract for RHP. He got it from Nationals, and deal sounds like $200M+, with significant deferrals.

vCash
    Max Scherzer?s deal with the Washington Nationals is reportedly for 7 years, $210M with half of it deferred?that?s $15M for 14 years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ments-reaction

Weird contract

Banned
    vCash
    Max Scherzer?s deal with the Washington Nationals is reportedly for 7 years, $210M with half of it deferred?that?s $15M for 14 years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ments-reaction

Weird contract
    What? They gave him a Bobby Bonilla contract. Hahahaha STUPID!!!

vCash

As a GM, if they don't win a WS he's probably fired, so who cares if the next GM is saddled with a Bobby B contract?

vCash
    Adding scherzer and trading stras or zim is negligible imorovement at best imo. This trade equals buying prospects they get from stras/zim trade to me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    As a GM, if they don't win a WS he's probably fired, so who cares if the next GM is saddled with a Bobby B contract?
    Nats are probably planning on TV revenue only going up, and they already have deep pockets. The deal still gives them a little more immediate flexibility with the high likelihood their revenues will go up enough in the next 14 years to make the deferred payments without missing a beat. It's like interest free financing for the nats.

vCash
    David Cameron @DCameronFG ? 21h 21 hours ago
    So basically the Lerners are borrowing Max Scherzer from whoever they sell the Nationals to in the next 10 years.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/max-s...t-210-million/

vCash
    David Cameron @DCameronFG ? 21h 21 hours ago
    So basically the Lerners are borrowing Max Scherzer from whoever they sell the Nationals to in the next 10 years.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/max-s...t-210-million/
    There's no information indicating the lerners want to sell the team. But this is a great breakdown of actually value in 2014 terms, and the deal isn't as mindblowing as the raw numbers immediately suggest.
    Last edited by dawgs; 01-20-2015 at 11:32 AM.