Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nats

vCash

Nats

5:02 PM
    Scherzer Talking Seven-Year Deal With Nats, 1 Other
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/?p=46136

Jon Morosi ?@jonmorosi
    #Nats have been talking with "multiple" teams on Jordan Zimmermann trade possibilities over past few weeks, sources say.

What you think, dawgs?

vCash
    Grant McAuley ?@grantmcauley 16m16 minutes ago
    Wow... MT @jonmorosi: #Nats prepared to trade SP if they sign Scherzer. Zimmermann most likely but 1 source says they'd listen on Strasburg.

vCash
    Interesting stuff. Nats front office is pretty tight with boras, and so I wonder how much the upcoming free agency of strasburg and harper factors into discussions likely not explicitly but subconsciously. I'd be fine dealing Zimmermann, he's a great pitcher, but he is what he is and he doesn't have the knockout stuff of strasburg or scherzer. Also, I'd prefer the nats not to be invested in long term deals for 2 top of the line starters, both with TJ surgery in their pasts.

Unless the deal is off the charts, I can't imagine them dealing strasburg.

Nats could always sit on all of them for now and deal Zimmermann at the deadline if a good deal presents itself.

vCash
    Between Zimmerman and strausburg I'd take zim all day.

vCash
    That "other" team is the Cardinals. They want Scherzer for five years. That's the hang up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Between Zimmerman and strausburg I'd take zim all day.
    As a Braves' fan, I'd certainly rather the nats keep stras than zim

vCash
    7 years of Scherzer is a long time. In comparison, both Scherzer and Jon Lester are the same age, but Jon Lester only got 6 year and 25.8 Mil per year from the Cubs.

I believe Scherzer is slightly better than Lester and that should get him more money per year, but I don't see the logic behind the 7th year, unless you just want him and are willing to outbid everyone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    7 years of Scherzer is a long time. In comparison, both Scherzer and Jon Lester are the same age, but Jon Lester only got 6 year and 25.8 Mil per year from the Cubs.

I believe Scherzer is slightly better than Lester and that should get him more money per year, but I don't see the logic behind the 7th year, unless you just want him and are willing to outbid everyone else.
    Lester has a lot more miles on him than scherzer though (over 350 more IP, so almost 2 years more).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Lester has a lot more miles on him than scherzer though (over 350 more IP, so almost 2 years more).
    31 years old and getting 7 years. I think he'll be really good for a few years, but he'll be a major liability before the contract is up (think Phillies). I think the nats are just going all in and the hell with 4-5 years from now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    As a Braves' fan, I'd certainly rather the nats keep stras than zim
    Y'all have lost y'all's minds. Strasburg's ceiling is much higher. Injury risk is similar imo (both with TJ history). In a hypothetical world, if the Braves could take either Zimmermann or strasburg tomorrow, y'all would rather have Zimmermann?

vCash
    I get that. Just not sure if it's a justification for a 7th year. Plus, what they'll pay Scherzer, will likely cost them Zimmerman, who Scherzer will replace, but also Desmond. Tre Turner it talented, but I'm not ready to say that he will ever hit for enough power to be an adequate replacement for Desmond.

vCash
    Y'all have lost y'all's minds. Strasburg's ceiling is much higher. Injury risk is similar imo (both with TJ history). In a hypothetical world, if the Braves could take either Zimmermann or strasburg tomorrow, y'all would rather have Zimmermann?
    Yeah. Of course, I absolutely detest stras though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    31 years old and getting 7 years. I think he'll be really good for a few years, but he'll be a major liability before the contract is up (think Phillies). I think the nats are just going all in and the hell with 4-5 years from now
    I wasn't necessarily saying to give scherzer 7 years, but if lester got 6 years that might be the market value for a little better pitcher with less IP at the same age. So when asking why give him more years than scherzer, I'm just pointing out one of the reasons he might be able to demand another year.

vCash
    Zimmermann has had much higher WARS than Strasburg. However, that being said, IMO Zimmermann is more consistent and gives you a better chance of making the playoffs, and Strasburg has a higher ceiling that gives you a better chance of winning in the playoffs and winning the World Series.

Strasburg is better on his best day, but you could make an argument for either. Strasburg is the rarer talent and would make more on the open market.

vCash
    I get that. Just not sure if it's a justification for a 7th year. Plus, what they'll pay Scherzer, will likely cost them Zimmerman, who Scherzer will replace, but also Desmond. Tre Turner it talented, but I'm not ready to say that he will ever hit for enough power to be an adequate replacement for Desmond.
    We'll if they didn't get scherzer, they'd likely be choosing either zimm or desmond, so you can't say scherzer would cost them both, when one of them is likely gone regardless.

vCash
    @AdamKilgoreWP
    Per a source, Max Scherzer to the Nats is "very close." Not finished yet.

vCash
    I wasn't necessarily saying to give scherzer 7 years, but if lester got 6 years that might be the market value for a little better pitcher with less IP at the same age. So when asking why give him more years than scherzer, I'm just pointing out one of the reasons he might be able to demand another year.
    Personally, I don't think 7 years is the market value. I think the 7th year was the extra that the Nats may offer to get the deal done. Lester got 6 years at 25.8 per year at the same age. Therefore, I think most teams were offering 6 years, and bumping up the annual value to around 28 mil per year, to give Scherzer credit for being slightly better than Lester, but not as good as Kershaw. I think the 7th year is above market value and the reason the Nats may get him. The question is if he's worth it? Long term pitcher contracts almost exclusively don't work out, but if you win a World Series or 2 in that time period, who cares?

vCash
    Zimmermann has had much higher WARS than Strasburg. However, that being said, IMO Zimmermann is more consistent and gives you a better chance of making the playoffs, and Strasburg has a higher ceiling that gives you a better chance of winning in the playoffs and winning the World Series.

Strasburg is better on his best day, but you could make an argument for either. Strasburg is the rarer talent and would make more on the open market.
    Stras has a much higher FIP/xFIP and with his K rate is less dependent on the defense. A lot of stras' inconsistency early last year was bad luck. Anyone that watched him saw it was a flukey BABIP on bloopers and weak grounders. His overall era ended up at 3.14 despite that. When in doubt I'll take the guy with the raw skills that's had some bad luck over the guy with good not great raw skills who has had a little more luck on babip and stuff.

vCash
    Stras has a much higher FIP/xFIP and with his K rate is less dependent on the defense. A lot of stras' inconsistency early last year was bad luck. Anyone that watched him saw it was a flukey BABIP on bloopers and weak grounders. His overall era ended up at 3.14 despite that. When in doubt I'll take the guy with the raw skills that's had some bad luck over the guy with good not great raw skills who has had a little more luck on babip and stuff.
    Your splitting hairs with the sabremetric stats, while also ignoring that Zimmermann has been legit far before last season. Zimmermann also had a BABIP over .300 last season, and has shown a great history of putting up low BABIPS.

However, I do agree with you, if things are close, you always take the guy with the better tools. Lastly, I don't love Strasburg's delivery, and my guess is that he'll pop again in the next few years.

vCash
    Your splitting hairs with the sabremetric stats, while also ignoring that Zimmermann has been legit far before last season. Zimmermann also had a BABIP over .300 last season, and has shown a great history of putting up low BABIPS.

However, I do agree with you, if things are close, you always take the guy with the better tools. Lastly, I don't love Strasburg's delivery, and my guess is that he'll pop again in the next few years.
    I meant much lower. But stras has also been great his whole career so not sure why that point is relevant. I'm not ignoring what zimmerman's done, he's great, he's just not as great as stras imo.