Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK, pimp your deer rifle/shootin skilz!

vCash

OK, pimp your deer rifle/shootin skilz!

TUSK shoots:

Browning A-Bolt Stalker 24", .270
    Leupold Vari-X III, 4.5 x 14 x 50AO with turret
    Federal Prem. Boat Tail Soft Point, 130 gr.

Zeroed a bit over 2.5" @ 100 yards
    Anything inside 315 is "groceries"...

Plenty of energy to as far as 600 yards... I'd fill confident to =>500 with good shooting position...

Batter up!
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, .280
    Nikon 4-12 x 40 BDC
    Federal Premium Vital Shock (Nosler Partition) in 150 gr or Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in 140 gr

Mods: Added Timney Tigger set at 3 lbs
    Future mods: Pillar bed, lap bore, add DNZ single piece scope mount

Zeroed at 100, verified BDC reticle grouping at 200. Would be comfortable to about 400 yds.
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 01-08-2015 at 11:52 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    Remington 700 Mountain Rifle, .280
    Nikon 4-12 x 40 BDC
    Federal Premium Vital Shock (Nosler Partition) in 150 gr or Winchester Ballistic Silvertip in 140 gr

Mods: Added Timney Tigger set at 3 lbs
    Future mods: Pillar bed, lap bore, add DNZ single piece scope mount

Zeroed at 100, verified BDC reticle grouping at 200. Would be comfortable to about 400 yds.
    Impressive, Sir!!!

how much difference did the new trigger make in your groups?

No.

vCash
    Significant, and it removed a serious safety issue with the Remington 700. Here is a great article on affordable accuracy improvements:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm

vCash

I shoot a single shot 35 whalen with a 250 grain bullet. Killed 12 so far this season

Significant, and it removed a serious safety issue with the Remington 700. Here is a great article on affordable accuracy improvements:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm
    no need to PIMP. It isn't in the gun it's in the gunner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    you bowl for deer?

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Except it is the round/gun combo in your case. That 250 gr bullet in a 35 Wheelen is sized for CXP 3 and 4 class animals (moose, buffalo, etc). I am going to guess not many deer have taken a step after you shot.
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 01-08-2015 at 09:29 PM.

vCash

Sir you are correct thats why i go for neck shots.

Except it is the round/gun combo in your case. That 250 gr bullet in a 35 Wheelen is sized for CXP 3 and 4 class animals (moose, buffalo, etc). I am going to guess not many deer have taken a step after you shot.
    nm

vCash
    Winchester Model 70 7Mag shooting 150 grain Core-loks. BSA Majestic 4.5x12-44. It's not the fanciest of guns or scopes but it does the job everytime.

vCash
    Savage .270 with a Nikon 4-12x40, but most of the time I'm deer hunting with:

Mathews Z7 Extreme, 60lbs, 28.5", 100 gr 2-blade rage and carbon express maxima hunters

vCash
    Now you speaking my language Speck.

My main hunting weapon is a Mission Venture set at 28" and 64lbs. I have Axion 5 pin sights and shoot GoldTip ProHunter 5575 with Slick Trick 100 grain broadheads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    Now you speaking my language Speck.

My main hunting weapon is a Mission Venture set at 28" and 64lbs. I have Axion 5 pin sights and shoot GoldTip ProHunter 5575 with Slick Trick 100 grain broadheads.
    Hate to hijack, but... How do you like those slick tricks? I've never used anything but the rages. I definitely can't complain about them, but I'm always interested in what's out there.

vCash
    I love them. They are by far the sharpest out of the box as far as fixed blades go and group as good as my fieldpoints. I shoot them and my dad shoots rages. They are both great broadheads and will get the job done. If you ever decide to go fixed blade slicktrick is the only way to go.

vCash
    damn,,, I got hijacked and made to look like a wimp....

Diamond Archery Hornet, Poly Carbs, 85 gr G5, about 50-55#... looks like a kid's bow...

No.

vCash
    Last year I had considered getting a new gun/scope. I asked for input here and on SPS, and after a bunch of waffling back and forth, I finally decided that I would just upgrade my scope and change from 150 to 130 grain bullets.

So I am still shooting an Omega III .270 - it is a beautiful and incredibly accurate gun that was custom made in TX. But now I am shooting 130 grain Remington Core-Lokts, and I am looking through a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 scope with a 4A reticle. The scope was pricey (right at $1,000), but it was worth every penny. Its performance in low light conditions is incredible.......I used to pretty much just hunt until I couldn't see clearly through my scope, whereas now I have to force myself to get out of the stand because of how incredibly illegal it would be if I were to shoot a deer that late.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    Last year I had considered getting a new gun/scope. I asked for input here and on SPS, and after a bunch of waffling back and forth, I finally decided that I would just upgrade my scope and change from 150 to 130 grain bullets.

So I am still shooting an Omega III .270 - it is a beautiful and incredibly accurate gun that was custom made in TX. But now I am shooting 130 grain Remington Core-Lokts, and I am looking through a Swarovski Z3 4-12x50 scope with a 4A reticle. The scope was pricey (right at $1,000), but it was worth every penny. Its performance in low light conditions is incredible.......I used to pretty much just hunt until I couldn't see clearly through my scope, whereas now I have to force myself to get out of the stand because of how incredibly illegal it would be if I were to shoot a deer that late.
    ^this is what I tell peeps... buy the best glass you can afford, then get some solid mounts to attach it to what ever you want...

also a +1 for strokin' em w/ a 130gr .277 round!

No.

vCash
    Weatherby .257 Weatherby Mag
    Burris Signature Series scope
    117 grain soft point

If i can see it, it's dead.

My favorite gun to hunt with though is my Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. Short lever action shooting 405 grain bullets. So much fun to shoot!!!

vCash
    Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .30-06
    Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
    Zeroed at 200 yards can put 3 of 3 on a pie plate at 480 in good conditions.
    480 is as far as I can shoot and still be on the property and out of the woods.

ETA: the scope was worth every penny, could hunt at midnight under a new moon with that thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdnkkicker View Post
    Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .30-06
    Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
    Zeroed at 200 yards can put 3 of 3 on a pie plate at 480 in good conditions.
    480 is as far as I can shoot and still be on the property and out of the woods.

ETA: the scope was worth every penny, could hunt at midnight under a new moon with that thing.
    Yep, I agree. I love mine, and as I posted above, it is awesome in low light conditions.

vCash
    I ride a horse, and shoot a Browning Automatic Belgium made 30" full choke. When the deer jumps up I shoot Him. it is good from 0 ft to about 40 yards. Killed a shitpot load of nice Bucks throughout the years. It doesn't matter about the Rut, the Moon or the Wind.Just have a good horse and be able to shoot off of Him.

But I also shoot a Browning a-bolt-7mag with a Leopold 3-10 scope. Zeroed in dead on at a 100 yards and I can adjust up to 400 yds pretty easily. I shoot a 165 boat-tail federal Premium. It will knock their dick in the dirt. I also sometimes shoot a 26" 25-06 Rem 700 with a timney trigger -hand loaded 120 grain hollow point boattail. with a zeiss-3-9.