Thread: Cooking doe shoulders

vCash

Cooking doe shoulders

Be gentle, I know I am clueless.

My teenage son hunts and I tag along. I finally decided to hunt (I never had before). I let him go for the big bucks and I'm just looking for does. I have a couple of medium sized on ice now. I usually just cook hindquarters (de-boned), back straps and tenderloins.

I wondered about cooking the front shoulders (not de-boned) in a crockpot. Will cooking with the bone make any taste difference? If so, better? More "gamey"?

Any suggestions on how to cook them in the crockpot?
    The Plantation has never won an SEC regular season Championship in ANY men's sport with an integrated team. That defines irrelevance.

vCash
    This is one of the most overlooked cuts of meat on the deer, but one I am having lots of good times (and eats!) working with right now. Here are a couple things you can do.

1. Easy route: Put the whole leg in a tin foil roasting pan, throw in some onions and some liquid (beer, water, pretty much anything) and cook ≤ 300 for 4-6 hours. Should be fork tender pulled bbq type meat. Makes great sandwiches.
    2. Moderate route: Butcher off the blade roast (see #9 here http://shootingtime.com/deer-hunting...tchering-deer/) and put it in the crock pot like you mentioned. Throw in onions, carrots, bell pepper, and about any liquid to cover it. Fire it up overnight and you should wake up to a fork tender stew. Alternatively, you can cut the blade roast up a jerky. Grind the rest of the shoulder and shank into burger.
    3. Most difficult route: This is what I have begun doing with all my deer and the elk I killed, but it gives you so many different options:
    a. First, separate the lower shank. Cut it into 1.5" segments, and bag 3-4 together to store. Average sized deer should give you two bags. I have been making osso buco with these, matter of fact made elk shank osso buco tonight and it was terrific. Serve it over rice or cheese grits. The Meat Eater website has several video how-to's and instructions for this.
    b. Second, I harvest the blade roast as described above, as well as the roast on the front of the shoulder that wraps around. I keep these both whole, as later on, it gives me the flexibility to use for grind or jerky later.
    c. Last, all other meat is cleaned off and cubed for burger grind.

One other thing I have done recently is go away from wet aging in coolers. I keep the meat in a cooler covered with ice, but leave the drain port open and put a stick under one end to keep it drained. I do this for 2-3 days before I butcher it up.
    Enjoy!

vCash
    Good info and tips/suggestions from SapperDawg.

vCash
    Man, good stuff. We take a deer hind quarter (deboned) and wrapped it up with twine (string) and cover it in bacon under the string - make a huge meat ball if you will.

You can stuff it with garlic and a stick of butter (maybe sprinkle some cavendars). Smoke that bad boy, slow as possible for 10-12 hours. I have not done this in 10 years but I am about to......it was fantastic sandwich meat.

vCash
    Outstanding information! Thanks. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    One other thing I have done recently is go away from wet aging in coolers. I keep the meat in a cooler covered with ice, but leave the drain port open and put a stick under one end to keep it drained. I do this for 2-3 days before I butcher it up.
    Enjoy!
    I also keep my meat on ice before I trim/silverskin it. You said you do this 2-3 days. I have heard 2-3 days to two weeks on ice. What is the maximum time on ice? What is the optimum time on ice?
    The Plantation has never won an SEC regular season Championship in ANY men's sport with an integrated team. That defines irrelevance.

vCash
    Dry aging, the sweet spot is 4-7 days for drying and enzymatic action to tenderize the meat. I am not sure Using the cooler method will get those same results. I try to cooler age at least two days, and get them butchered out no later than five. My elk was on ice five days before I finished that job.