Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy Shannon would be a perfect hire for us.

vCash

Randy Shannon would be a perfect hire for us.

He is currently making $275k, great recruiter with tremendous contacts in FL. Pay him $800k per. to handle LBs. Has a very good pedigree/reputation for putting LBs into the NFL. Jackpot, boyah, moneyball, YAHTZEE!!!

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    why pay him 800k when you could get him for 500k

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    I agree but he got a raise before the season. He's making $400k a year.

vCash
    Randy Shannon would be the perfect hire for us, unless Mullen doesn't agree.

vCash
    To me the perfect hire for us is who Mullen wants. In Dan I trusted long as he is here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    To me the perfect hire for us is who Mullen wants. In Dan I trusted long as he is here.
    Ya don't say...*

vCash
    I really hope it's Shannon now. He'd be a good fit as far as I can tell. He had some really good defenses at Miami.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    why pay him 800k when you could get him for 500k
    I agree, hire him at 500 (if he'll take it); then give him a raise to .75 - 1.5 if he kicks ass....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Shannon would be a home run hire to me

vCash

vCash
    He's been my #1 choice practically since it came open....

He's significantly more proven than any of the other candidates. And the one recent year under Gary Patterson recently is just icing on the cake to me. Would love for him to bring in a variation of that defense, which is so much more flexible than almost anything we see. For those unfamiliar, Patterson's D is a base 4-2-5, with 3 separate "calls" which he has started making at the line of scrimmage on play cards just like the hurry up offenses do. He actually calls the DL separate from the back 7. Then, he splits the back 7 into 2 parts down the middle. This allows for extra confusion because one side can be in man, while the other is in zone, etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    RS is as strong as a garlic milkshake! Anytime you can get a former HC from a bigtime program as a coordinator, you take it....

No.

vCash
    What's everyone's take on Shannon being named associate head coach after one year of coaching linebackers? I think that's Bielema's way of saying we already have a DC but we really want you to stick around.
    I think if we really want Shannon we'll get him but I don't think Arkansas will make easy for us. I'd say we'd probably have to go at least 750k.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    What's everyone's take on Shannon being named associate head coach after one year of coaching linebackers? I think that's Bielema's way of saying we already have a DC but we really want you to stick around.
    I think if we really want Shannon we'll get him but I don't think Arkansas will make easy for us. I'd say we'd probably have to go at least 750k.
    I think it's about actually climbing the ladder again for him. Bielema lost his initial DC Chris Ash in a lateral move to Ohio St last year. Shannon was passed over. Hence the "promotion" in attempts to appease him. http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...mith-as-new-dc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    fine give him 750k, whatever it takes. him or pendergrast would be grand slam bottom of the 9th type hires

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    fine give him 750k, whatever it takes. him or pendergrast would be grand slam bottom of the 9th type hires
    I don't think 750-800K should be a problem for us. We were going to be probably be around 700K for Collins this coming year (assuming he got raised above the planned 625K) and really Shannon has a much stronger resume than Collins does. That's still only half of what Auburn just paid to get a failed HC and former DC to run their defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    I think it's about actually climbing the ladder again for him. Bielema lost his initial DC Chris Ash in a lateral move to Ohio St last year. Shannon was passed over. Hence the "promotion" in attempts to appease him. http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...mith-as-new-dc
    That makes me feel better. Shannon should have no problem leaving. That was kind of a slap in the face to him. I hope he's high on Mullen's list. I like him better than Pendergast because I think Shannon will recruit better.

vCash
    but would he make a lateral move?

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    but would he make a lateral move?
    Why would Shannon go to Alabama after being with us for a year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    He's been my #1 choice practically since it came open....

He's significantly more proven than any of the other candidates. And the one recent year under Gary Patterson recently is just icing on the cake to me. Would love for him to bring in a variation of that defense, which is so much more flexible than almost anything we see. For those unfamiliar, Patterson's D is a base 4-2-5, with 3 separate "calls" which he has started making at the line of scrimmage on play cards just like the hurry up offenses do. He actually calls the DL separate from the back 7. Then, he splits the back 7 into 2 parts down the middle. This allows for extra confusion because one side can be in man, while the other is in zone, etc...
    I think that would fit our personnel pretty well. I wish we had McKinney coming back because it sounds like that's a little bit more complex than what we did under Geoff. Here's what I think we might see if we ran a 4-2-5:

DE- Ryan Brown
    DT- Chris Jones
    DT- Nelson Adams
    DE- AJ Jefferson

LB- Beniquez Brown
    MLB- Richie Brown

DOG- JT Gray
    S- Jamal Peters
    S- Brandon Bryant
    CB- Redmond
    CB- Calhoun

And honestly, Beniquez is as smart or smarter than Richie from a football standpoint. We might be better off with Beniquez in the MLB and Gerri Green as the OLB. Either way, I like that personnel group better than what we would likely have had under Collins next year. It just seems to be a little more athletic to me.