Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Randy Shannon would be a perfect hire for us.

vCash
    One question about Arkansas's defense? Do they do the same type of play calling scheme that Shannon used at Miami?

I noticed that their defense did very well against hurry up offenses other than Auburn, but that was the first game of the year. They did allow 35 to A&M, but that was a game that their team choked away I think as much as anything because they were ahead late and were about to get the monkey off their back of not having a SEC win and just couldn't finish it off. They held A&M down to 14 for most of the game. By the end of the year they were shutting out people like Ole Miss and LSU and they only allowed 21 to Mizzou and 14 to Alabama.

vCash
    I'd take him in a heartbeat. My biggest concern is, why didn't he get the DC job at Arkansas last year when Chris Ash left?

Durbin
    Shannon
    Pendergast
    Orgeron

That's my final 4 in no particular order
    Last edited by deltadawg99; 12-20-2014 at 06:56 AM.

vCash
    I keep reading that Shannon is an elite recruiter, but he's only listed as lead recruiter on Derrick graham. Graham is arkansas' 2nd lowest rated prospect; he's only rated higher than a punter from California. I'm not saying Shannon isn't an elite recruiter, but I am wondering why he has that reputation when his results don't seem to match

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I keep reading that Shannon is an elite recruiter, but he's only listed as lead recruiter on Derrick graham. Graham is arkansas' 2nd lowest rated prospect; he's only rated higher than a punter from California. I'm not saying Shannon isn't an elite recruiter, but I am wondering why he has that reputation when his results don't seem to match
    because he recruited very well at Miami
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Randy Shannon was the defensive coordinator for that 2001 Miami team that was loaded. That team had four games where they gave up double digit points all season. His experience as far as scheme goes is the "Miami 4-3" where they play a slide front and have breathtaking speed at linebacker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Randy Shannon was the defensive coordinator for that 2001 Miami team that was loaded. That team had four games where they gave up double digit points all season. His experience as far as scheme goes is the "Miami 4-3" where they play a slide front and have breathtaking speed at linebacker.
    We need to get more speed in our back 7 on defense imo. Jt gray, Bryant, and peters will help

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think that would fit our personnel pretty well. I wish we had McKinney coming back because it sounds like that's a little bit more complex than what we did under Geoff. Here's what I think we might see if we ran a 4-2-5:

DE- Ryan Brown
    DT- Chris Jones
    DT- Nelson Adams
    DE- AJ Jefferson

LB- Beniquez Brown
    MLB- Richie Brown

DOG- JT Gray
    S- Jamal Peters
    S- Brandon Bryant
    CB- Redmond
    CB- Calhoun

And honestly, Beniquez is as smart or smarter than Richie from a football standpoint. We might be better off with Beniquez in the MLB and Gerri Green as the OLB. Either way, I like that personnel group better than what we would likely have had under Collins next year. It just seems to be a little more athletic to me.
    The way Collins used the SAM LB his 4-3, we were already pretty much a 4-2-5 defense. Matt Wells was a LB by name, but his position was a hybrid LB/S where he stayed in the box most of the time, but also covered the slot receiver and TE (when we actually decided to cover the slot receiver or TE). I don't think the personnel groups would be that different at all, which is all the more reason Shannon might be a really good fit.

vCash
    Don't worry about the money.... Get the right coach

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Dear Mullen,

Please don't **** this up. Release Turner. Hire O and Shannon. Commence to having to tell big time recruits we don't have room. Win NC. Thanks and do not waiver from this message.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTO Dawg View Post
    Don't worry about the money.... Get the right coach
    Which, if I had my druthers, it would be Orgeron and Clark, or Orgeron and Diaz. Shannon may be OK, but I've got my doubts. I recall he was considered when we hired Croom. He was hired at Miami and fired after 4 seasons. He was passed over for some reason by Bielema for the DC position at Arkansas. All in all, I'm not sure he would be a good match-jmo.

vCash
    His 4 seasons at Miami were better than Al Golden's 4 seasons. He's been offered half the DC jobs in the SEC in the last 5 years...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Why would Shannon go to Alabama after being with us for a year?
    nice! +1
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17