Thread: I'm ready for Staley to take the hardwood

vCash

I'm ready for Staley to take the hardwood

b/c I think he's good enough for a 5 game swing in wins. Is he playing this weekend vs Oregon state? I hope so.

we're 5-2 now. 6 more nonconf games. then, 18 sec games. would be nice to go at least 4-2 over the next 6 to go into SEC play at 9-4. Then, win half the sec games to get to 18 wins. I think Staley can get us to 20+ as a 6th man. Ware, daniels, fred, bloodman, & johnson as our top 5. would be nice to get sword in the mix too.

I really like Staley's energy & think he could bring the winning mentality over to Ray's guys. I always notice Staley upbeat and jumping on the sidelines.

love that he can be a 2 sport guy here

vCash
    He's not going to be playing significant minutes until January at the earliest. It's not realistic to expect him to jump right in after practicing with the team for the very first time only last week. I don't know about as much of an impact as you describe either, but if he can add any shooting whatsoever then I can see him playing a role down the stretch of the season.

vCash
    Ummm.....Chicken is our best player. Period. He may still be working himself into game shape, but anything you post about hoops is invalidated if you don't know that.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justwin View Post
    Is he playing this weekend vs Oregon state?
    I heard or read somewhere that he wouldn't go to any away games until after the Orange Bowl.

vCash
    I hope he doesn't get hurt in practice.

vCash
    Any reports about staley from pratice?

vCash
    Your post will cause about 20 guys on this board to shit in their pants ,they do not even want to see him hit the hardwood ,much less play. He will be like Bear was last year as far as production . In the end he might be better off playing basketball who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by justwin View Post
    b/c I think he's good enough for a 5 game swing in wins. Is he playing this weekend vs Oregon state? I hope so.

we're 5-2 now. 6 more nonconf games. then, 18 sec games. would be nice to go at least 4-2 over the next 6 to go into SEC play at 9-4. Then, win half the sec games to get to 18 wins. I think Staley can get us to 20+ as a 6th man. Ware, daniels, fred, bloodman, & johnson as our top 5. would be nice to get sword in the mix too.

I really like Staley's energy & think he could bring the winning mentality over to Ray's guys. I always notice Staley upbeat and jumping on the sidelines.

love that he can be a 2 sport guy here

vCash
    Over the past couple of years what is the % of players that have blown out an ACL while "practicing/conditioning" for Ray?

Lets buy him a crotch rocket motorcycle, trampoline, and encourage him to take up knife juggling, too**.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat from MSU View Post
    Your post will cause about 20 guys on this board to shit in their pants ,they do not even want to see him hit the hardwood ,much less play.He will be like Bear was last year as far as production . In the end he might be better off playing basketball who knows.
    Bear didn't play or contribute much because he's a 6'5" blue collar post. That he was Alabama's Mr. Basketball is an indication of just how elite of an athlete he is, because he is simply not a basketball player at this level given his skill set vs. size. The majority didn't want him to play basketball because he's a probable 3-year guy at WR in football while he'll never be more than emergency depth in basketball. Staley, on the other hand, is playing at his natural position and was more highly rated as a basketball prospect than a football prospect. It makes sense for him to play both sports if he can handle it, and he has the talent and skill set to contribute in the latter half of the season once he gets into the swing of things. Two completely different sets of circumstances between Bear and Staley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyStansbury View Post
    Over the past couple of years what is the % of players that have blown out an ACL while "practicing/conditioning" for Ray?
    One since his first summer here.

The insane number his first year was obviously related to smoke making for brittle ligaments**

vCash
    He will be like Bear was last year as far as production.
    Staley will be alot more productive than Bear was. They aren't the same caliber of basketball player. That's why Staley had BB offers from FSU, Bama, Georgia, Ga Tech, Georgetown, etc...and Auburn wouldn't even let Bear play basketball period. Barbee being a dumb ass is ultimately how/why he ended up at MSU IMO...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    One since his first summer here.

The insane number his first year was obviously related to smoke making for brittle ligaments**
    Thank you for this clarification. I thought they were legit injuries.
    I honestly figure if Staley can help the basketball team he should give it a go. Like others have said above, he appears to have a skillset that would help us, above and beyond what Bear could do.

vCash
    They were legit injuries in year 1...

My point is to show that it was an outlier instead of the reality. At least in terms of ACL-type injuries.

vCash
    They two very different players ,I just do not seeing Ray using him that much that's all .Question did Ray go after Staley just for basketball? Just wondering
    Staley will be alot more productive than Bear was. They aren't the same caliber of basketball player. That's why Staley had BB offers from FSU, Bama, Georgia, Ga Tech, Georgetown, etc...and Auburn wouldn't even let Bear play basketball period. Barbee being a dumb ass is ultimately how/why he ended up at MSU IMO...

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Ray offered & had a relationship long before Dan & the football staff knew who he was.

vCash
    They two very different players ,I just do not seeing Ray using him that much that's all .Question did Ray go after Staley just for basketball? Just wondering
    Ray was recruiting him at Clemson from his FR year in highschool on...

vCash
    Will Ray play him ,what do you think and how much and at quard?
    Ray was recruiting him at Clemson from his FR year in highschool on...

vCash
    Will Ray play him ,what do you think and how much and at quard?
    I think Staley plays the 3, and he'll play alot eventually. If he/Houston step up, we could be really good. I feel pretty good that one of them will.

Roq has stepped up alot -- but we're weak behind him at the 4 right now. Got to gain a scoring threat there as well, and I dunno if Black is the answer or playing Daniels somewhat out of position there is the answer...

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Roq has stepped up alot -- but we're weak behind him at the 4 right now. Got to gain a scoring threat there as well, and I dunno if Black is the answer or playing Daniels somewhat out of position there is the answer...[/QUOTE]

I would look at playing Staley more at the 4 for this reason. At 6'7" 240+lbs he has the skill to be a face up 4 but the mass to bang with most 4's.

vCash
    Yes, I also think he can above avg in production in both sports which is actually rare with the 2 sport guys. I think MSU needs Staley playing basketball now vs bowl prep. Would we have lost the last 3 if we had a guy give us 7 more points / game. Maybe Sword or Staley will be that answer, I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Bear didn't play or contribute much because he's a 6'5" blue collar post. That he was Alabama's Mr. Basketball is an indication of just how elite of an athlete he is, because he is simply not a basketball player at this level given his skill set vs. size. The majority didn't want him to play basketball because he's a probable 3-year guy at WR in football while he'll never be more than emergency depth in basketball. Staley, on the other hand, is playing at his natural position and was more highly rated as a basketball prospect than a football prospect. It makes sense for him to play both sports if he can handle it, and he has the talent and skill set to contribute in the latter half of the season once he gets into the swing of things. Two completely different sets of circumstances between Bear and Staley.