Thread: Rank going into bowl games: Best case scenario: 6th? More likeyl 7th or 8th.

vCash

Rank going into bowl games: Best case scenario: 6th? More likeyl 7th or 8th.

We should pass the loser of Baylor and KSU, so that's 9th.

ACC shouldn't affect us. We'll move ahead of the loser but the winner will either stay ahead of us or jump us most likely.

Pac 12, we should probably move ahead of Airzona if they lose to Oregon; guessing Oregon would stay ahead of us if they lost, so that's potentially, 8th.

We should move ahead of OSU if/when they lose to Wisconsin, so that puts us at 7th, assuming that the LSU loss keeps Wisconsin from jumping us.

In the highly unlikely case that TCU loses, they'd probably drop below us, so maybe as high as 6th.

Alabama probably would stay ahead of us even with a loss.

Michigan State is locked in ahead of us.

Am I missing anything?

vCash
    So 8th or 9th? What would the significance of this be?

vCash
    I think the Committee wants FSU to have to play a SEC school. If they beat GA Tech and Bama wins Saturday they will play Bama in the Sugar Bowl. If they lose to GA TECH we end up in the Orange Bowl playing FSU. I don't think they like FSU. I don't think they like the Thugs on their team that keeps getting away with crime and I think Fisher has really hurt his image among the collegiate ranks with continuing supporting these thugs.

This is just my opining but I would rather play in the Peach against OSU. I want to smack them around and Atlanta is an easier trip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I think the Committee wants FSU to have to play a SEC school. If they beat GA Tech and Bama wins Saturday they will play Bama in the Sugar Bowl. If they lose to GA TECH we end up in the Orange Bowl playing FSU. I don't think they like FSU. I don't think they like the Thugs on their team that keeps getting away with crime and I think Fisher has really hurt his image among the collegiate ranks with continuing supporting these thugs.

This is just my opining but I would rather play in the Peach against OSU. I want to smack them around and Atlanta is an easier trip.
    While I would love to dismantle OSU too, there is one huge advantage to playing in the orange over the peach...$$$. The orange pays out $17,000,000 while the peach is around $3,500,000.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    All the big 6 bowls pay the same now.

vCash
    Then I must have looked up old information this morning. I'll have to look again.

vCash
    Unless this is dead wrong here is what I was looking at:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/b..._schedule.html

vCash
    deleted.
    Last edited by shannondawg; 12-03-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: was thinking payout the same for Peach and Orange bowls.

vCash
    I don't know what is accurate, nor where I read that all of the NY6 bowls have the same payout. I was thinking they were all 18MM, and this statement in your link above leads me to believe that still may be correct:
    "PAYOUTS: Amounts shown do not necessarily reflect what each school receives. The conferences have different methods by which bowl money is divided among its membership. Some bowl agreements call for higher payouts to one conference than the other, depending on such factors as which is the "host" conference. Most of the above payouts are based on actual figures from the Football Bowl Association for the 2013-2014 season, while others are published estimates of anticipated payouts for the current year."

vCash
    That statement is referring to how the conferences divide the money. I think in the SEC if a school goes to a bowl gets 30% of the payout and the other 70% is then split 14 ways. The ACC may split it differently.

As far as the big 6 all paying equally - I really don't know. I've seen they are all the same and I have seen what I posted in that link. Either way we are set to get a nice chunk of change, but if the Orange really is that much higher then that is where I want to go. That would be $5,950,000 just to MSU for playing in that bowl based on the 30/70 split.

vCash
    I think in the past we have lost money on bowls as our expenses were more than the payouts. We have a very large traveling party. I may be wrong though.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    The two semifinal bowls pay 6 million to each team, and the other 4 major bowls pay 4 million a piece. However, the Orange, Fiesta, and Rose have TV revenue sharing deals that they pay extra money to the conferences of the teams that play in the games. Now, I don't know if we would see extra money from that extra money, or if the conference keeps that or disperses it completely evenly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Unless this is dead wrong here is what I was looking at:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/b..._schedule.html
    I believe that was last years payout figure, I am pretty sure that the Orange, Cotton, Fiesta and Peach all pay the same this year and the amount hasn't been determined yet but is supposed to 7+ million. Pretty sure I read that from a credible publication somewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    The two semifinal bowls pay 6 million to each team, and the other 4 major bowls pay 4 million a piece. However, the Orange, Fiesta, and Rose have TV revenue sharing deals that they pay extra money to the conferences of the teams that play in the games. Now, I don't know if we would see extra money from that extra money, or if the conference keeps that or disperses it completely evenly.
    http://businessofcollegesports.com/2...n-for-2014-15/

vCash
    Good info, thanks! I stand corrected on the amounts payed.