Thread: mountain lion killed in Arkansas

vCash

mountain lion killed in Arkansas

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/s...ippi/19424337/

80 miles from Greenville. Says there have been a rising number of sightings for years.

vCash
    I'd like to see a 140 lb cat take on a 140 lb dog.

vCash
    I'd go with the cat. A lot quicker, bigger claws, sharper teeth.

BTW, on the way home from the Chris Relf game @Auburn, I will swear on on my death bed that I saw a very large cat family animal cross I-20 somewhere between Meridian and I-20. It was a mountain lion, panther, or a tiger. OK, probably one of those first two.

It was maybe 400 yards in front of us and almost as long as a lane of traffic is wide. Me and my copilot saw it clear as day.

I contacted MS Dept of Wildlife and they wouldn't hear any of it. WTF. I saw it.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    i have seen a mountain lion right on the edge of our farm in madison county twice now in the past 15 years. not just some random, right at dusk, 1/2 mile away sighting.....but up well inside of 100 yards. the first one, my brother and i saw it perched up on an elevated dirt mound beside the rd (it was still only the same height as the bottom of our truck). we turned around and passed by it three times at less than 20 mph....the third time we stopped across from it, and it finally stood up and turned and walked back into the pine thicket behind it. it's tail was nearly as long as it was, just flipping back and forth above it as it lay there. i was stunned. it was less than 20 yards from us.
    the second, i was with my wife, and she saw it and asked me "is that a lion?" and i looked at it. it was also sitting up on an embankment along a country rd. we stopped the truck and watched it for several seconds before it finally got up and walked back into the woods. This incident was approximately 60-70 yards from us.
    and just a couple years ago, we had a 1 &1/2 year old heifer killed by one. It had two sets of puncture wounds on the underside of its neck, and the width between the teeth marks was nearly as wide as a person's hand. it had a chunk eaten off its hind quarter and the internals of the chest had been nearly all eaten. a family member called our farm's vet, and he said we basically just perfectly described a cougar kill. Now, i realize that we also have coyotes and bobcats, and we have lost some animals to both. Coyotes are notorious for ripping the ears, tail, nose, lower portion of the back legs, and even the underbelly - tearing them up severely - in order to bring down that size animal. and their bites are not that clean. Bobcats are similar to what happened to this cow, with one MAJOR exception. this was by far the largest animal that we would have ever had an attack on by a bobcat that was killed. when a bobcat has taken one near to that size, it often had those bite marks, but it was often slashed up by the bobcat's claws on its lower brisket because the animal was big enough to try and fight it off or get up, or paw/kick at him. whatever killed this thing had the power to just absolutely take it down and completely overpower it.
    "When opportunity knocks, ask for two forms of ID, because it is probably just trouble in disguise" - Tickle #Discovery Channel

vCash
    my dad has seen them in SW Tennessee. It's been a long long time (like 50 or so years), but they're on the east side of the Mississippi for sure.

vCash
    A 140lb mountain lion would destroy any dog. A 90lb mountain lion and a 140lb dog would be about right, maybe a presa canario or a dogo Argentino.