Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If your on the fence about whether the media hates us or not, read this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Good thing none of these clowns is on the Committee.

We really should put a moratorium on these "look what this random media member said about us!!" threads...
    Why?

I think it's best to be educated about them and fight back. Or we can just ignore things and let people run over us like the State of Mississippi has been doing for 200 years?

vCash
    We need to get Matt after these clowns, and get him after Dennis Dodd.

vCash
    Totally agree with msstate7 that this is a vocal minority, mostly talking heads designed to drive TV ratings. But they are really undermining the system and are going to drive viewers away if they aren't careful. They should be promoting more Power 5 matchups and an expanded playoff instead of propping up a shitty Big 12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Why?

I think it's best to be educated about them and fight back. Or we can just ignore things and let people run over us like the State of Mississippi has been doing for 200 years?
    Even though I don't think it will matter much as long as we win the Egg Bowl, I do agree we should educate them and fight back. Fighting back will not hurt us in this case and will only make us look better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Even though I don't think it will matter much as long as we win the Egg Bowl, I do agree we should educate them and fight back. Fighting back will not hurt us in this case and will only make us look better.
    YUP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by randyholloway View Post
    Totally agree with msstate7 that this is a vocal minority, mostly talking heads designed to drive TV ratings. But they are really undermining the system and are going to drive viewers away if they aren't careful. They should be promoting more Power 5 matchups and an expanded playoff instead of propping up a shitty Big 12.
    I guarantee you the ratings will be fine. If you are an Ohio State fan, they'll watch us to cheer against us. I personally think it has more to do with promoting the Big 10 more than anything.

I have a feeling that this is how it will go down:

1. Right now, they are going to try to promote the Big 10/Big 12 and say that they should be in.
    2. If we get in, they will concede that we are deserving BUT all the conference champs should at least have a shot. And therefore they should expand to eight.

The media really wants March Madness with college football. And that's what this is about.

vCash
    Why?

The majority of the media has us at #4 or higher. The few who don't are either hacks for a particular school they're covering or are just trolls looking for page views. We already know the Committee doesn't care what the hacks and the trolls think. It's been very pro-SEC so far and will continue to be. As long as we finish 11-1 or 12-1, we are in, and all of the Big 10 beat writers in the country are powerless to change that.

It would be one thing if we were actually going to change minds of people who have power in this situation. But the people who are excluding us aren't looking to have their minds changed and don't have a shred of say in the matter.

It's better not to have the board whipped up in a 2-week-long tizzy over nothing. Especially when it brings out this weird persecution complex in lots of us that makes the whole board look silly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    They are re-writing history as we speak. All our wins are meaningless....SEC is over rated.... Eye etc etc.

This is/ was predictable and will only get worse and worse as years go on.
    Exactly. Why do you think a committee was formed in the first place? If we were using the BCS formula (which has worked almost perfectly for years) we would be ranked #2 or #3. The committee was formed to make sure a pac 10 and big 10 team are included in the playoffs. The SEC was stupid to go along with it. If we beat Mississippi there is no way to keep us out unless the committee just decides to for conference reasons.

vCash
    Wouldn't expect anything intelligent from a fox affiliated site

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Exactly. Why do you think a committee was formed in the first place? If we were using the BCS formula (which has worked almost perfectly for years) we would be ranked #2 or #3. The committee was formed to make sure a pac 10 and big 10 team are included in the playoffs. The SEC was stupid to go along with it. If we beat Mississippi there is no way to keep us out unless the committee just decides to for conference reasons.
    The committee is a lot more intelligent than these fools looking to get clicks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    Agree. Allowing a SUBJECTIVE committee to decide the playoff instead of the OBJECTIVE BCS rankings, was possibly Slive's worst move. Can only hurt the SEC.

What keeps conference reps from making alliances in this thing? If you vote for us this year, I'll vote for you next year.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    It was a terrible mistake and will be bad for the SEC in the long run.

Look what's happening now. Everyone is screaming "sec bias". They will have themselves convinced that the Only reason the SEC won all those titles was because it "wasn't fair ". Then soon enough we have 2004 all over again.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    SEC should prepare itself for a propaganda war next year. IF they keep this at 4 teams I predict next year's onslaught of the SEC by the media will dwarf this years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    SEC should prepare itself for a propaganda war next year. IF they keep this at 4 teams I predict next year's onslaught of the SEC by the media will dwarf this years.
    That's not going to happen. Why? ESPN/SEC alliance. As long as the SEC has ESPN on their side, we are good.

If anything it will be like this year where they talk about why Texas or Ohio State should be in and there is nothing that they can do about it.

vCash
    Agree. Allowing a SUBJECTIVE committee to decide the playoff instead of the OBJECTIVE BCS rankings, was possibly Slive's worst move. Can only hurt the SEC.

What keeps conference reps from making alliances in this thing? If you vote for us this year, I'll vote for you next year.
    It will be better when it goes to eight teams I think. That was every big five conference at least will have one representative in. When that happens and you have an all SEC match-up for the title, it could make us look better. Of course, they'll put us all on the same side of the bracket so we cannibalize ourselves.

vCash
    This is just templated coverage. Fox entertainment/sports is not controlled by Fox News. Fox News rose to prominence giving an editorial nod to flyover country. That trended to the right. It was an underserved market that gravitated to not being ignored.

Fox Sports has the rights to a weakened Big 12, thanks Texas and the Longhorn Network driving the Aggies away, with no playoff? Their in conference schedules are a joke. If Baylor or TCU loses they both tumble hard. Fox is just trying to promote their two major investments. Brando has to be dying on the inside. Whether he hates us not withstanding he loves SEC ball and its history. I am chuckling at that.

If both these conferences miss the playoff that will not bode well for Fox coverage next year. They will have to spend more cash to promote their weaker sports cable Outlets /packages. I have mixed feelings on that since apart from event coverage I loathe ESPN's constant political correctness and talking heads screeching about the very industry that provides them opportunity.

Thankfully the committee seems insulated frome this influence. The lone variable waiting to be seen is how they break things down post conference CG's.

Banned
    vCash
    ...He's a good writer...
    So was Goebbels.

vCash
    This is great. Someone just tweeted this out.

Strength of Schedule for Dummies

I love this. I wish it would show all the one lost teams to better illustrate "strength of schedule". Then send it off to all media outlets.

vCash
    You know the thought that occurs to me. If we are so overrated (the SEC too, not just us), now that we have to schedule Power 5s..... why are all these schedule bashing 17ers not lighting up the ADs of all 14 SEC schools to schedule us so they can prove how weak we are?
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash

While true objective rankings are certainly superior to subjective committee rankings, the BCS rankings were anything but objective. Only one of the 6 computer formulas was created any someone with a math/stats background, and none of them were allowed to use margin of victory. Five of them kept their formulas totally secret so we would never even know if they had a mistake -- the one that made its formula public actually did have a mistake one year that was caught a few days after the fact, so it's not unheard of. The fact that it would be so hard so agree on what constitutes an objective ranking system is why they went with a committee.

Every needs to remember that the Committee has been extremely pro-SEC thus far. While that doesn't prove it will be on Dec. 7, it suggests that it probably will continue to be. Remember that most college football fans are 100% convinced that the Committee is biased FOR the SEC and that we are a lock. It's only on a few SEC message boards that anyone thinks the opposite.