Thread: Alright, I think I want a Carolina Skiff...

vCash

Alright, I think I want a Carolina Skiff...

maybe a 17-18 carolina skiff CC to do marsh fishing and possibly a little bass fishing in the Ross Barnett even though I am the worst, most rookie, bass fisherman ever. I'm not talking right now. I'm going to have to talk to the wife just right for some time and cultivate this. Maybe in the next 12 months if all my cards go just right, I could get a what I'm looking for. Someone tell me either why (A) this is a great idea or (B) bad idea. I completely understand that they don't handle and chop well, open water, etc... I've always heard they are good boats. What say ye Outdoor Dawgs?

vCash
    That boat would probably be a rough ride on Barnett if you venture in the main lake very much. It would be fine above Hwy 43 in the upper lake and up river. Great marsh boat though.

vCash
    Definitely a popular marsh boat around here. If you can, take a look at bumping up to the 21's. Makes a big difference on the chop. Also, if you ever go out with more than 2 people, the space makes a huge difference.

vCash
    DO IT! Seriously though, they are great little boats. I would like one of the 17-18' models that you mentioned. They are perfect for slipping out for a few hours by yourself. Easy to load/unload, clean up, etc. I know your trips down here are usually more planned out than "slipping out for a few hours", since you have to drive all the way down. There are plenty areas to catch trout/redfish with that boat year round down here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Definitely a popular marsh boat around here. If you can, take a look at bumping up to the 21's. Makes a big difference on the chop. Also, if you ever go out with more than 2 people, the space makes a huge difference.
    BM Sr has the big bay boat covered. Not really wanting another big sled. I'd want something small that I get different use out of if that makes sense. The bay boat is on the coast at a Marina. What I would want is a little skiff for a bit of local fresh water usage and skinny water marsh uses. Something that size is worth it's weight in gold in the marshy areas where there may be a spot of barely over 1 foot of water to get into a little cut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    DO IT! Seriously though, they are great little boats. I would like one of the 17-18' models that you mentioned. They are perfect for slipping out for a few hours by yourself. Easy to load/unload, clean up, etc. I know your trips down here are usually more planned out than "slipping out for a few hours", since you have to drive all the way down. There are plenty areas to catch trout/redfish with that boat year round down here.
    That's what I'm talking about lol

vCash
    I see one of these in my future for marsh fishing:

http://www.gheenoe.net/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    BM Sr has the big bay boat covered. Not really wanting another big sled. I'd want something small that I get different use out of if that makes sense. The bay boat is on the coast at a Marina. What I would want is a little skiff for a bit of local fresh water usage and skinny water marsh uses. Something that size is worth it's weight in gold in the marshy areas where there may be a spot of barely over 1 foot of water to get into a little cut.
    Eh, potatoe patatO. We need the 21s here because they make it easier to cross the sounds between the islands and the marshes. They are pretty vast here, and the 17-18 just beat you to death - and some days you just want the flexibility. If the Reds aren't hitting on the mud flat on Jekyll Creek, we can shoot across St. Andrews Sound/Little Satilla R. and hit Christmas Creek off the west side if Cumberland Island. The 21is still shallow draft enough to get anywhere we want to hit in the marsh. All that said, each area has its own needs - so sounds like the smaller will work, and Carolina Skiff is a good brand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    maybe a 17-18 carolina skiff CC to do marsh fishing and possibly a little bass fishing in the Ross Barnett even though I am the worst, most rookie, bass fisherman ever. I'm not talking right now. I'm going to have to talk to the wife just right for some time and cultivate this. Maybe in the next 12 months if all my cards go just right, I could get a what I'm looking for. Someone tell me either why (A) this is a great idea or (B) bad idea. I completely understand that they don't handle and chop well, open water, etc... I've always heard they are good boats. What say ye Outdoor Dawgs?

Quality wise the Carolina Skiff is well made, as per a marina owner friend of mine that restores boats as a hobby.