Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little break from football

vCash

Little break from football

Basketball tipping off Friday afternoon. Anyone know what we plan on doing with sword? I hope he's gonna be pg.

Starting 5 predictions?

vCash

vCash
    I don't think there's been any word except that he's supposed to go.

My guess on the starting 5 is:

Bloodman
    Sword
    Thomas
    Daniels
    Ware

Ideally, Bloodman won't have to play much by mid season. If Ready can't get and stay healthy, I'm hoping that Sword can play point and Dunlap is far enough along to start at the 2.

vCash
    I do not understand where the Sword for PG thing is coming from. It just seems illogical and would be a disaster of an experiment. Its not really his game at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I do not understand where the Sword for PG thing is coming from. It just seems illogical and would be a disaster of an experiment. Its not really his game at all.
    http://mississippistate.247sports.co...eason-29360574

I don't think it would be a disaster at all. He drives well and has better size than our other points

vCash
    Sword played point half his Freshman year- he is a slasher and penetrator. Doing that and dishing to others would probably be the best thing we could do
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    delete

vCash
    Sword played point half his Freshman year- he is a slasher and penetrator. Doing that and dishing to others would probably be the best thing we could do

vCash
    Because Sword is the only shooting guard in the SEC that can't shoot. If we want to play our best 5 together then Sword has to play the Point. Also, Ready can't match up against any PG's with any size at all, e.g. Harrison from UK.

Best 5:

PG: Sword
    SG: Thomas
    3 Man: Houston
    4: Daniels
    5. Ware

Bring Roq off the bench for energy. Play the other guys sparingly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Best 5:

PG: Sword
    SG: Thomas
    3 Man: Houston
    4: Daniels
    5. Ware

Bring Roq off the bench for energy. Play the other guys sparingly.
    I like that lineup. That would be my starting 5 too. You have Dunlap, Johnson, Ready, and Black who could come off the bench to spare the starters.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    Didn't Sword have about a 4:1 TO:Assist ration that year also? Sword is definitely not a PG.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    Didn't Sword have about a 4:1 TO:Assist ration that year also?
    No

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    No
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...37/craig-sword

Excuse my hyperbole, 127 TOs to 75 Assists is horrible for a point guard.

vCash
    I wouldn't hold what he did on that team against him. Sword running point gives us a better chance to win than bloodman imo

vCash

Yeah, and it's ludicrous to think that he might have gotten any better in that aspect of the game in two years. **

vCash

He was playing some PG as a true freshman on a team that was so depleted, Tyson Cunningham made some starts. Good grief

vCash
    Sword has been a TO machine the past two years. Excuse me for not buying into him being our PG. Sword is very good at attacking the basket, cut in the same mold as D Wade, but the guy is not a PG. Who knows, maybe he will play some and surprise me, but I'm very skeptical at this point.

Fact is, Sword is the best scorer on our team, and that's not what you want out of your PG.

vCash
    Sword has been a TO machine the past two years.
    If you want to use the last 2 years, you have to use the improvement made to go with it. Go ahead and punch that number for us and extrapolate it into this year... Nevermind the amount he was playing tired and having to put the team on his back at times, while being one-dimensional and attacking guys that had backed off of him for much of the year. He started shooting it a bit at the end of the year too, and anything we get from him out there is a bonus...

Excuse me for not buying into him being our PG. Sword is very good at attacking the basket, cut in the same mold as D Wade, but the guy is not a PG.
    That's exactly what you want to attack zone D's. Sword at the 1 addresses the offensive failure that actually cost us the season last year(inability to attack zone). It's not about putting SWORD in his best position -- it's about putting our team in the best position. Ready @ 2 > Sword @ 2. Sword defending 1 > Ready defending 1. By taking the ball and primary defensive reps away from Ready, you also ideally keep him fresher and healthier. Ready, Daniels, and Houston can shoot it. Sword's slashing gets them open looks against a zone. I suspect Thomas will surprise people this year as well.

Sword to the 1 is not a full-time assignment. It's a matchup assignment.

Fact is, Sword is the best scorer on our team, and that's not what you want out of your PG.
    He isn't anymore, and if he is, the difference is miniscule...
    Last edited by engie; 11-12-2014 at 09:08 AM.

vCash
    Sword is not a PG. Yes he can drive and his best ability is finishing at the rim, which is not what you want your PG doing. He is not a pass-first, get others involved type player. He just isn't. We can't come up with fantasy experiments in year 3 in which the guy that should be catching back-door cuts from the 2 PG's already on our team, is switched to PG.

vCash
    Sword is not a PG. Yes he can drive and his best ability is finishing at the rim, which is not what you want your PG doing. He is not a pass-first, get others involved type player. He just isn't. We can't come up with fantasy experiments in year 3 in which the guy that should be catching back-door cuts from the 2 PG's already on our team, is switched to PG.
    Do you want Bloodman in the game instead of Fred Thomas or Houston? Do you want IJ Ready at 5'9 guarding Harrison at 6'5? The truth is, all of our PG's have flaws Sword included. So why not at least get your best 5 on the court.