Thread: Help a PsychoPhant out, RE: 1A & 1B...

vCash

Help a PsychoPhant out, RE: 1A & 1B...

1a = 1st string D
    1b = 2nd string D

but both "strings" are so comparable in levels of talent and efficiency that you don't say "1" vs "2"?

is this correct?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    1a = 1st string D
    1b = 2nd string D

but both "strings" are so comparable in levels of talent and efficiency that you don't say "1" vs "2"?

is this correct?
    Correct, our coaching staff calls them 1A and 1B so they don't have to call anyone 2nd string.

The talent levels of the two units are not similar, except for on the defensive line. Chris Jones, 1st round draft pick next year, happens to be a proud member of 1B

vCash
    Yeah, that's something I noticed... we've a similar situation with our front 7...

Bmmer runs a 3-4 and prolly has 7 DLs and 5-6 LBs that are equitably efficient depending on down & distance...

It's a good position to be in, for sure.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Yeah, that's something I noticed... we've a similar situation with our front 7...

Bmmer runs a 3-4 and prolly has 7 DLs and 5-6 LBs that are equitably efficient depending on down & distance...

It's a good position to be in, for sure.
    Yes, but the talent level is not equal and it's almost an insult to suggest otherwise. It's just a use of words much like you see in advertising and political ads.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Correct, our coaching staff calls them 1A and 1B so they don't have to call anyone 2nd string.

The talent levels of the two units are not similar, except for on the defensive line. Chris Jones, 1st round draft pick next year, happens to be a proud member of 1B
    disagree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    disagree.
    Oh, ok. Please explain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Yes, but the talent level is not equal and it's almost an insult to suggest otherwise. It's just a use of words much like you see in advertising and political ads.
    Yep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Oh, ok. Please explain
    The talent level is similar. The difference is experience. Most of the 1A guys are seniors or upperclassmen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawg4Life View Post
    The talent level is similar. The difference is experience. Most of the 1A guys are seniors or upperclassmen.
    Yep. You have to agree with this or you have to believe that we will have 40 dropped on us every game next season. Doesn't go both ways
    LFC YNWA

vCash
    Same talent level, less experience. That's the nature of our rotations now. In general, 1 yr redshirted. 1 yr on ST and playing mop up. 1 yr on 1B. 2 yrs on 1A. Of course there's exceptions, but that's the general building process at MSU. The "1B" cornerback play has been good. Everyone is just flipping out because what had been arguably our most consistent corner, a true soph who is #4CB for us, failed to wrap up on a completed pass last Saturday. He was the only corner we had that hadn't been previously posterized. There is virtually no dropoff at SS, LB, or DL. The place that's bitten us, even with the A's at times, is FS. You don't have that position in our scheme -- you don't have anything on defense -- and we've got 3 tremendous athletes back there right now that are(hopefully) having trouble with reads/assignments and (hopefully) not having learning/instinctive failure. Obviously, it's more glaring with the sophs than the Sr...

If there were significant "talent" gaps to 1B, we'd be ripping the redshirts off the studs we've got redshirting on all 3 levels of the defense right now, most notably Brandon Bryant at FS...
    Last edited by engie; 10-31-2014 at 01:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Same talent level, less experience. That's the nature of our rotations now. In general, 1 yr redshirted. 1 yr on ST and playing mop up. 1 yr on 1B. 2 yrs on 1A. Of course there's exceptions, but that's the general building process at MSU. The "1B" cornerback play has been good. Everyone is just flipping out because what had been arguably our most consistent corner, a true soph who is #4CB for us, failed to wrap up on a completed pass last Saturday. He was the only corner we had that hadn't been previously posterized. There is virtually no dropoff at SS, LB, or DL. The place that's bitten us, even with the A's at times, is FS. You don't have that position in our scheme -- you don't have anything on defense -- and we've got 3 tremendous athletes back there right now that are(hopefully) having trouble with reads/assignments and (hopefully) not having learning/instinctive failure. Obviously, it's more glaring with the sophs than the Sr...

If there were significant "talent" gaps to 1B, we'd be ripping the redshirts off the studs we've got redshirting on all 3 levels of the defense right now, most notably Brandon Bryant at FS...
    One of the best posts I've seen in a while. We definitely have a system and we are sticking to it.

vCash
    I absolutely agree with everything engie said with ONE exception. The only drop off spot in talent is Preston. Guys, this kid is really, REALLY good! I would say he'll be a better DL pick than Fletcher was. And that's say a WHOLE lot! They are different players (skill set wise) but since coach Turner has been here a light bulb has just gone off for him. But besides him I would agree. I think that what Richie loses in size replacing Mckinney he makes up for in speed and his ability to cover. There are definitely bright spots too. Evans has made plays, but he's also been burned. As well as Tolando (missed tackle) and a few other guys. I've seen Jay Hughes get burned too. So has Cox. These guys are learning on the job, just calm down. It's better to correct a mistake, while still remaining undefeated.

Also Kaleb has looked like a totally different player and Nelson is also coming along too (reminds me of a raw Fletcher). Ryan Brown is another that has really gotten better technique and its helped his game out ALOT! If you watch him everytime Preston is back there he's within a hair of being there at the same time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post
    I absolutely agree with everything engie said with ONE exception. The only drop off spot in talent is Preston. Guys, this kid is really, REALLY good! I would say he'll be a better DL pick than Fletcher was. And that's say a WHOLE lot! They are different players (skill set wise) but since coach Turner has been here a light bulb has just gone off for him. But besides him I would agree. I think that what Richie loses in size replacing Mckinney he makes up for in speed and his ability to cover. There are definitely bright spots too. Evans has made plays, but he's also been burned. As well as Tolando (missed tackle) and a few other guys. I've seen Jay Hughes get burned too. So has Cox. These guys are learning on the job, just calm down. It's better to correct a mistake, while still remaining undefeated.

Also Kaleb has looked like a totally different player and Nelson is also coming along too (reminds me of a raw Fletcher). Ryan Brown is another that has really gotten better technique and its helped his game out ALOT! If you watch him everytime Preston is back there he's within a hair of being there at the same time.
    I don't think he'll go as high as Fletcher because he's not a DT in the NFL and he's not a pure rush end that they salivate over. He's a natural DE that (strangely because he is a very natural DE) possibly fits a 3-4 a little better than a 4-3. I think he'll be better than McPhee at the next level though, which is saying a lot considering how well he's doing in Baltimore.

Senior Member The Croom Diaries's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think there's much difference at at at DL and the secondary, but there's no way Jackson, R. Brown and Holmes are equal to Wells, McKinney, and B. Brown. That 1B group are solid players but that 1A group are fantastic players.

vCash
    I know one thing:

The Brown twins playing in the middle next year will be the smartest 2 LB'ers we've ever had playing at the same time. Their football IQ's are off the charts. Green is going to learn so much playing with those two guys and will make him an even better player
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post

Pretty ridiculous. Big dropoffs at all 3 LB spots, both DE spots, 1 corner spot and both safety spots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post

I rarely disagree with C57, but the drop off from Preston Smith to AJ Jefferson is not that great. Preston Smith is a very good player, but AJ Jefferson is a beast too. Heck, AJ, Chris Jones, and Will Redmond are the three guys I don't worry about on 1B.