Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread

We're away this week so I know some of you guys are cooking up something good. I'm smoking ribs Saturday night

vCash
    Last game that I watched at home was LSU and I boiled shrimp. I'll be watching at home again and will be boiling shrimp. My superstitions this season are reaching OMAHA levels...

vCash
    Wine & Spirits on Lakeland has visited Four Roses and hand selected a batch of Four Roses Single Barrel and also Barrel Strength. I'm trying some.

Also trying some Kraken. Heard it was good with Dr Pepper and also with Root Beer. I've never had alcohol in either of those.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    Wine & Spirits on Lakeland has visited Four Roses and hand selected a batch of Four Roses Single Barrel and also Barrel Strength. I'm trying some.

Also trying some Kraken. Heard it was good with Dr Pepper and also with Root Beer. I've never had alcohol in either of those.
    By "selected", I mean guys from Wine & Spirits sampled 15 different batches. I don't know what it must have been like drinking 15 oz of bourbon and trying to pick the best one.

Dr Pepper & Kraken - meh I could take it or leave it. Not a must-try cocktail, but a nice departure from the tried & true "rum & coke".

Haven't tried Barq's & Kraken yet. Will report later.

Kraken is pretty decent by itself. Its a spiced rum and I'm a Sailor Jerry guy for that stuff, but this is good for a change from SJ. Kraken is at lot more vanilla-like up front than any other rum I've tried.

If you're a Captain Morgans guy, I say graduate to Sailor Jerry. If you want something different but still good, I say try Kraken.
    Last edited by FlabLoser; 10-24-2014 at 06:29 PM.

vCash
    Elk steaks and deer sausage on the grill tonight. Since we're playing Kentucky tomorrow, working on a maker's and listening to Sturgill Simpson.

vCash
    Strong entry, Speck.

vCash
    Nice speck. Only elk I've ever had is jerky. That looks damn good

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Taking it slowly this evening, just throwing together a little sandwich and washing it down with an hoplanta ipa. I'm getting up early to go slay a nanny for some fresh tenderloin for the game. I'm doing applewood smoked wings, grilled deer tenderloin stuffed with cream cheese and pineapple and wrapped in bacon, and connecah sausage (sp?). image.jpg

vCash
    Made a good score today with two of the last remaining bottles of Old Charter 10 yo. Compared the following:
    Eagle Rare 10
    Charter 10
    Buffalo Trace
    Charter 8

These are made from the same mash bill at the same distillery. I think Eagle Rare 10 is rebranded Charter 10 for an extra $15 and a cork in the top instead of a screw top. Same for Buffalo Trace and Charter 8.

Here is the line up of beers and evening whiskey:

Cooked at tri tip steak that was awesome, but neglected to get pics. Me and jbjones are hanging in the HSV to watch the game this weekend.
    Last edited by SapperDawg; 10-24-2014 at 09:27 PM.

vCash
    I'd been told Old Charter had simply been rebranded for more profit.

On 2nd thought with Kraken...it's like candied liquor. Not a fan. Give me El Dorado 12 or 15.. Or Sailor J if I'm going spiced.

vCash
    Made one other discovery this week:

Stopped by the Class VI at Redstone and picked up a liter of Military Special Bourbon for $8. Turns out, it is produced by the same company (Sazerac) as Charter, Buffalo Trace, etc. Military Special is a 4 yo version of these same whiskeys.

Taste test? Not bad. Good every day drinker for cocktails, but not a great sipping whiskey. You could put this in a bottle of Woodford and likely no one would know the difference.

vCash
    Boston butt done for a friend

vCash
    There is nothing better than that rendered layer of gelatinous fat on a hot pork butt right off the cooker.

vCash
    Holy shit the Four Roses Single Barrel picked out by Lakeland Wine & Spirits is good. Flavor really jumps out.

They put their own sticker on the side of it. Much better than the regular Single Barrel which is good itself.

vCash
    i have two bottles of "hand selected" Four Rose coming to me in the next few weeks. One from a small family store outside of Ann Arbor, MI and one from the Liquor Barn in Louisville, KY. Interested to see if the differ very much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    There is nothing better than that rendered layer of gelatinous fat on a hot pork butt right off the cooker.
    Beautifully said

vCash
    Beer of the year right here:

Raw ale blended w ale aged In a wine barrell, and a portion aged in a bourbon barrell blended to make this beer. Just simply awesome.

Later, had these rib in chops:

Last edited by SapperDawg; 10-25-2014 at 08:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Elk steaks and deer sausage on the grill tonight. Since we're playing Kentucky tomorrow, working on a maker's and listening to Sturgill Simpson.

A definite championship contender right here. Just like the Dogs.