Thread: Cadaver, what did you decide on the bourbon question?

vCash

Cadaver, what did you decide on the bourbon question?

And how'd it work out?

vCash
    bump

vCash
    The last 3 weeks I have killed a fifth of Four Roses, Knob Creek, and Maker's. It had been a while since I drank Maker's, and wow, I forgot what I was missing. Love that stuff. I looked for some of the Buffalo Trace, but couldn't find it. So I basically just went with a few reliables.

What do you guys recommend for this weekend? I'm up for trying something new, but I could just as easily go and grab another bottle of Makers.

I used to think Knob Creek was great, but you can tell a major difference IMO when you follow up Knob Creek with Makers.

vCash
    I recently enjoyed some bulliet bourbon. first I've had of it and really enjoyed it.

if you're going cheap, you can't beat Old Charter IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I agree with this, if you don't want to spend much. I've been impressed with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I agree with this, if you don't want to spend much. I've been impressed with it.
    if you're mixing, charter and bulliet are the way to go.

vCash
    All this talk about bourbon and whiskey here and at the tailgate has peaked my interest. So I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace tonight.

vCash
    If you wanna go different, Jim Beam's white ghost is good. I also like Beam's Devil's Cut. I like pretty much everything under the Beam umbrella

vCash
    May I add that Tangle Ridge is a blend imported by Beam that competes with Crown and is much better IMO.

http://whiskey.findthebest.com/d/c/Canadian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catdawg View Post
    All this talk about bourbon and whiskey here and at the tailgate has peaked my interest. So I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace tonight.
    I haven't tried the BT but every review I've heard has been excellent.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    I recently enjoyed some bulliet bourbon. first I've had of it and really enjoyed it.

I just wish I could get my hands on the 10 year. I've heard a few mention there's a few bottles left in some random stores and/or that it was repackaged and is now sold as something else. Anyone have an update?

vCash
    I got two pints of 10 year from a store in North MS. They had it in the back room picking up dust. I did a side by side tasting of Charter 10, Eagle Rare 10, Buffalo Trace and Charter 8 last Friday w/ three of my employees. Here are the results, ranked most favorite to least:

1. Eagle Rare 10
    2. BT
    3. Charter 10
    4. Charter 8

I did the research, and these are all produced by Sazerac (i.e. BT Distillery) from the same mash bill. Barrel selection, aging, aging location, and blend are the main differences to flavor. Note that they are all about the same proof.

Eagle Rare, in our opinion, is the best $30 bottle of bourbon on the market right now. If you can decant it, having it exposed to some air space for a few weeks has really done that whiskey significant wonders in our tastings. The only drawback to the Charter varieties was that they had a bit more "burn" and less nose; rendering them not as smooth as ER or BT.

More bourbon news: I was able to procure the new Woodford Reserve Masters Collection edition this week....it's Woodford aged in a Pinot Noir wine barrel. Outstanding and not as sweet as I was expecting.

This week could be the Pappy Van Winkle week for me....more to follow.

Sapper Out

vCash
    I plan to pick up a few other bottles this weekend to try along side the BT. I've never been a big bourbon/whiskey drinker before. I can drink the BT neat so that should tell you it's pretty smooth. I don't know that my taste is sensitive enough to pick out all the tastes/smells like I read from the reviews.

Good luck with the Pappy. Is there one you're trying to get? I'll know next week if I can get a bottle.
    Last edited by Bass Chaser; 11-12-2014 at 08:49 PM.

vCash
    I have set the stage w my local liquor purveyor for a 20 or 23 y/o Pappy. If I can only get one, the 20 is what I want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    I got two pints of 10 year from a store in North MS. They had it in the back room picking up dust. I did a side by side tasting of Charter 10, Eagle Rare 10, Buffalo Trace and Charter 8 last Friday w/ three of my employees. Here are the results, ranked most favorite to least:

1. Eagle Rare 10
    2. BT
    3. Charter 10
    4. Charter 8

I did the research, and these are all produced by Sazerac (i.e. BT Distillery) from the same mash bill. Barrel selection, aging, aging location, and blend are the main differences to flavor. Note that they are all about the same proof.

Eagle Rare, in our opinion, is the best $30 bottle of bourbon on the market right now. If you can decant it, having it exposed to some air space for a few weeks has really done that whiskey significant wonders in our tastings. The only drawback to the Charter varieties was that they had a bit more "burn" and less nose; rendering them not as smooth as ER or BT.

More bourbon news: I was able to procure the new Woodford Reserve Masters Collection edition this week....it's Woodford aged in a Pinot Noir wine barrel. Outstanding and not as sweet as I was expecting.

This week could be the Pappy Van Winkle week for me....more to follow.

Sapper Out
    you have set me on a new mission to find that Woodford Reserves Master Collection. What's the price?

vCash
    I think it retails for $99 and change.

vCash
    What about a pinned bourbon topic with a list like Sapper gave us?

Sapper how long did it take you to set the stage? I found a local guy where I can get Pappy, but it's probably going to take me a while to set the stage.

vCash

Speaking of cheep if you like the taste of Crown Royal get some Canadian Hunter.