Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Archie Manning Resigning From College Football Playoff Committee

vCash

Archie Manning off the playoff committee

Said he is stepping down for health reasons due to past knee and back surgeries.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

Archie Manning Resigning From College Football Playoff Committee

Per Chris Mortensen, Archie is resigning due to complications from his knee replacement surgery.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/statu...315921408?s=09
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Wow. Talk about things possibly lining up.

Hope Archie is ok, but I never loved the fact that he was on the committee.

vCash
    it could be a terrible backlash for he and his family if OM doesn't make the cut with 1 loss. Think Peyton to UT times 10. I can't imagine having the hopes of that entire entitled fan base resting on his shoulders. They'd probably burn effigies of him or something...

vCash
    Archie is a good man and I certainly hope that he is ok.

I am glad that he is off the committee though. Even though technically he couldn't vote for OM to get into the playoffs, I'm sure there will be a lot of politics involved when it comes to the committee votes. This will take away OM's in road per se.

vCash
    Yeah, not a good situation for him to be on the committee considering his OM ties. It could be due to his knee, but I'm sure he didn't feel comfortable being on the committee.

vCash
    I don't think Archie could help the Rebs much anyway. I believe I read where committee members aren't allowed to vote on their teams if I'm not mistaken. Kinda like the basketball selection committee can't on their own conference teams

vCash
    Probably the main reason is to avoid any conflict of interest issues that might arise.

Don't like uofm but Archie is above their bunch and if he had to choose MSU over uofm their fan base would go nuts. (Of course our fan base would go nuts if it happened the other way)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdawgy View Post
    I don't think Archie could help the Rebs much anyway. I believe I read where committee members aren't allowed to vote on their teams if I'm not mistaken. Kinda like the basketball selection committee can't on their own conference teams
    That means absolutely nothing. He may not vote for them, but his influence is strong.

vCash
    We made his ass quit
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    He was there just long enough to setup up the payments for votes...expect Tim Brando to take his place***

vCash
    If we were 3-3 he would still be on the committee.

vCash
    I'm sorry to hear about his health issues. That said, from an MSU standpoint his resignation is a positive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We made his ass quit
    Careful with that line, RossDawg82 will call you a classless thug and demand that you should be banned****

vCash
    Even if you are not allowed to cast a vote regarding your own team, there is an enormous amount of influencing and lobbying that can happen in meetings, and being on the committee provides an additional degree of access and influence.

Leaving aside the possibility of whatever conscious or unconscious anti-State and/or pro-OM bias might have been present (whether it was a lot, a negligible amount, or none at all), the real political pressure here for Archie Manning was how his ties to OM might be interpreted - by OM fans, by State fans, and by everyone else - as an opportunity lobby. Of all the years for the CFP to start, and of all the years for him to get the honor of being on the committee... it's the year that both his school and their (real) rival are mid-season contenders for the playoff.

I hope he gets healthy, and that his knee situation works out - but he'll probably get healthier faster without the stress of managing the perceptions of bias. He was obviously in for a lot of criticism no matter what happened. The end result is that he can now lobby for his preferences while standing in the wings like everyone else, and nobody can say a word about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    We made his ass quit
    Perfect!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gridirondawg View Post
    Perfect!
    Yep, glad he stepped down. With MSU and OM very likely to be in the middle of the discussions it was a no win situation for him.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdawgy View Post
    This is true, but he can also choose to not vote for a rival team that deserves to be in.

Banned
    vCash
    Other than being Peyton and Eli's dad, I've never undertsood why the man should be considered college football royalty. He didn't win a Heisman. OM didn't win a NC when he was there. Neither of his sons won the Heisman. Archie was an average at best QB in the NFL. Peyton and Eli have had way more success than he did......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    Other than being Peyton and Eli's dad, I've never undertsood why the man should be considered college football royalty. He didn't win a Heisman. OM didn't win a NC when he was there. Neither of his sons won the Heisman Archie was an average at best QB in the NFL Peyton and Eli have had way more success than he did......
    Have to disagree with this. He was a very good NFL QB who played for the most inept team in the league. He spent every game trying to make plays while running for his life. It was an injustice to him that he was never traded to a halfway decent team where his talents could have been showcased.
    Last edited by Bullmutt; 10-20-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Edited to make highlighted quote more readable.