Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Considering moving to the coast...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post

Personal preference, but in would avoid places like diamond head and wind dance. Nice enough places, but way the hell out from anything you want to do.
    that's pretty much the rub on the Coast. if you want to be close to shopping and entertainment, then you'll be close to a bad element or three. For Dhead, you can do most any shopping you'd need in Gport on the way home, and there's also Slidell only 20 minutes away. if 20 minutes is too much, then look at Long Beach and Gport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    that's pretty much the rub on the Coast. if you want to be close to shopping and entertainment, then you'll be close to a bad element or three. For Dhead, you can do most any shopping you'd need in Gport on the way home, and there's also Slidell only 20 minutes away. if 20 minutes is too much, then look at Long Beach and Gport.
    Just to be clear, a bad element on the coast typically is going to mean a trashy looking street. Just thought I'd point that out since normally somebody from NE Jackson talking about a bad element means "place where people get shot." Certainly crime everywhere, but you can go much cheaper in Gulfport (Bayou View for example) than NE Jackson and end up with virtually no crime, not even petty crime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Just to be clear, a bad element on the coast typically is going to mean a trashy looking street. Just thought I'd point that out since normally somebody from NE Jackson talking about a bad element means "place where people get shot." Certainly crime everywhere, but you can go much cheaper in Gulfport (Bayou View for example) than NE Jackson and end up with virtually no crime, not even petty crime.
    I'm from NE Jackson, actually. crime is lower here, but i've never understood why, plenty of areas sure look as bad as Jackson. but when i said 'bad element' i meant areas that i would be nervous to live near, let alone buy. yeah, you're unlikely to get shot on these streets, for whatever reason crime is lower down here, but you'll still feel like you're about to get shot. if buying 5 or 10 blocks from these areas makes you nervous, then Gport or Biloxi or out. of course Dhead has it's bad areas too, just meth instead of crack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    I'm from NE Jackson, actually. crime is lower here, but i've never understood why, plenty of areas sure look as bad as Jackson. but when i said 'bad element' i meant areas that i would be nervous to live near, let alone buy. yeah, you're unlikely to get shot on these streets, for whatever reason crime is lower down here, but you'll still feel like you're about to get shot. if buying 5 or 10 blocks from these areas makes you nervous, then Gport or Biloxi or out. of course Dhead has it's bad areas too, just meth instead of crack.
    I knew what you meant I just figured that guy might not. Buying on the Coast is definitely different than anywhere else in Mississippi to my knowledge. There are neighborhoods that would have gone downhill long ago anywhere else in the state because the trashy looking stuff near them would have made people too scared to buy, turning it into a self-fulfilling prophecy I guess. We looked but never bought and that is the major reason why. By the time we figured out it was actually ok to buy in those neighborhoods, we were changing jobs. Gulfport and Biloxi are for the most part nothing but pockets of good neighborhoods surrounded by neighborhoods that are safe but look like crap. There are actually dangerous places that ruin the property values around them too, but I feel like anywhere else in the state, once an area starts to look bad nobody sticks around to see if they actually become unsafe.

vCash
    Thanks again for all the info. I'm sure it's a long shot but if anyone that sees this thread lives in Diamondhead could you PM me? I have some questions about the neighborhoods and golf rates.