Thread: Question for Coast Dawgs

vCash

Question for Coast Dawgs

I'm going to be in your area next week and will probably have some down time. Thought about bringing a rod and hitting a pier. Waste of time?

I'd appreciate any tips or recommendations on what to do.
    The extent of my saltwater knowledge is a couple of guided redfish trips.

vCash
    Not a waste of time at all. Where are you going to be? You have options in BSL and Biloxi Bay I'd recommend

vCash
    I would definitely bring it. As Beast said, Bay St. Louis and Biloxi Back Bay would both be great right now. Lots of great fishing in these areas this time of year. We'll get you some more details when we find out where you will be staying.

vCash

I should be between Gulfport and Biloxi

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Not a waste of time at all. Where are you going to be? You have options in BSL and Biloxi Bay I'd recommend
    So Biloxi Bay may be perfect. What should I throw this time of year?

Thanks for the help guys.

vCash
    I'd throw dead shrimp in the bottom. Sure fire way to catch fish. Redfish, black drum, croaker, white trout, ground mullet, and flounder all will eat dead shrimp. Trash fish like catfish & stingrays will hit it too. I'd do a Carolina rig w/a 3/4 ounce weight and a #1 size Khale hook.

Biloxi has a drive on fishing bridge that I've never fished but it's popular. Any pier in the Biloxi bay should be fine. The way people usually land fish off those high piers is a strong crab net on a rope. That way you scoop net the fish and pull it up.

vCash
    It may be getting cold enough that Speckle trout are moving back in toward the beach, so you might could do some wade fishing. Find some dark sports on google earth that are close in and you should be able to get close enough to cast from water that doesn't go far over your knees. Usually see people doing this in the spring as it's warming up and specs are gradually moving out to deeper water; no clue if it's a good method when they move back in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    It may be getting cold enough that Speckle trout are moving back in toward the beach, so you might could do some wade fishing. Find some dark sports on google earth that are close in and you should be able to get close enough to cast from water that doesn't go far over your knees. Usually see people doing this in the spring as it's warming up and specs are gradually moving out to deeper water; no clue if it's a good method when they move back in.
    It is

vCash
    It is
    What would you use if you were wading out from the beach? Can you get live shrimp right now and is it worth it? Or can you get a bit on plastics?

Come down their fairly regularly but haven't done much fishing. Got a kayak just to bring with me down there and planned to start extending my trips by a day just to fish but just hasn't worked out yet.

vCash
    What would you use if you were wading out from the beach? Can you get live shrimp right now and is it worth it? Or can you get a bit on plastics?

Come down their fairly regularly but haven't done much fishing. Got a kayak just to bring with me down there and planned to start extending my trips by a day just to fish but just hasn't worked out yet.
    When wading I use plastic under a popping cork a lot of the time. Jigs w/soft plastics are good too. Live bait would be good too, I've just never used it wading. I'm sure there are still some bait shops w/live shrimp.

vCash
    If you go fish in Biloxi Back Bay there is a old concrete pier on the south side by Keesler AFB. If you have a good tide there is a good current through there and I have caught some good flounder and trout in there, throwing with the tide to the east.

vCash
    I'd throw dead shrimp in the bottom. Sure fire way to catch fish. Redfish, black drum, croaker, white trout, ground mullet, and flounder all will eat dead shrimp. Trash fish like catfish & stingrays will hit it too. I'd do a Carolina rig w/a 3/4 ounce weight and a #1 size Khale hook.

Biloxi has a drive on fishing bridge that I've never fished but it's popular. Any pier in the Biloxi bay should be fine. The way people usually land fish off those high piers is a strong crab net on a rope. That way you scoop net the fish and pull it up.
    I mainly fish BSL these days, but I can guarantee what Beastman said above will be your best bet on either side of the Coast right now. Some dead shrimp on a carolina rig will surely catch you something. Check the tides and try to fish when there's some good movement.

vCash

I prefer using a soft plastics on jig heads, when wading. I have a lot of confidence in them and can cram several color combinations and spares, in a small fly box, in my wader pocket. You should be able to still get some live shrimp. I just don't like hauling around a bait bucket while wading. I try to take as few things as possible.

If you plan to fish down here with your kayak, I can point you to several of my kayak spots.

vCash

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I mainly fish BSL these days, but I can guarantee what Beastman said above will be your best bet on either side of the Coast right now. Some dead shrimp on a carolina rig will surely catch you something. Check the tides and try to fish when there's some good movement.
    Thanks guys. I'm pumped about going.