Thread: Dirt Cheap Rod Review

vCash

Dirt Cheap Rod Review

I've had a full spring summer and some fall experience to report back with cheap fishing rods. When it comes to rods, I just don't like spending a ton of money. I'll spend money on a reel but I try and find good values with my rods. This summer I used 3 different rods. (I'm an inshore saltwater guy). My grade is a sliding scale of performance vs price. Obviously a $250 rod is probably better than a $60 rod. I'm judging not in relation to high-end rods.

H20 Express Ethos Inshore 7' M ($60)
    I bought this one with Christmas gift cards but didn't get around to using it until spring. Put a shimano sahara FE 3000 reel and 20lb braid on this setup. I like the stiffness vs flexibility of this rod. It's literally the perfect do-everything rod. I used it with jigs, popping corks, and carolina rigs for trout and redfish mainly. It can do everything pretty well. It's fairly lightweight and has a good feel to it. My only gripe with this rod is the screw fitting to where you connect the rod. It feels a little cheap. It's lightweight plastic and feels like it is coming loose, even when it's not (and never has). I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid but I check that part a few times a day when I'm fishing and its never loose. Kind of hard to explain and may be in my head. That said, after a bunch of trout, drum, flounder, and brute redfish, its performance has been great. It's holding up great and I'm pleased with this rod.
    Grade: B+

Daiwa Crossfire 6'6 M ($30)
    Came across the rod on complete accident. Was going on a trip with a buddy where we would be staying by water. I went to academy for a 2-piece rod to put in his trunk so I could sneak out and wade fish (trip wasn't a fishing trip). I bought this rod with expectations of it being complete garbage because of the price. It was so light, I put my shimano stradic fj 3000 on it and 20lb braid. I figured I'd give it a try as a trout setup. First thing, for a M saltwater rod, this thing is not stiff at all. I was worried about it not having a backbone for bigger fish. I was also worried about it just breaking because of price. That said, it's a good looking rod that looks much better made than others in it's class. First trip on the coast I probably caught 50 trout on it at Cat Island. Held up great. This setup became my go-to jig steup. Over the course of the summer I caught a ton of trout, spanish mackeral, bluefish, and even a few bull reds. It never failed a single time. Obviously, if you hook a big bull red, it's not the ideal rod but it's not going to just snap on you. I had a capt w/shore thing with us handle this setup when he was with us and want to know what kind of rod it was because it felt so good. I laughed and said it's the cheapest rod I own. I would highly recommend this rod to anyone that wants a solid inshore rod for cheap. I literally love everything about this rod and cannot believe it's so cheap.
    Grade: A

Daiwa Crossfire 7 MH ($30)
    My accidental experience with the other Daiwa was so pleasant, I bought another one for a new shimano sahara FE setup. I decided to buy the MH strength since the M was a little less stiff than other Ms. I would compare the MH to the M of a Abu Vendetta. Just as the other Daiwa, this one has been great. I mainly rig this one with popping corks since it's stiffer. Would also be great with carolina rigs. It would be a little too stiff for ideal jig/soft plastic application but if the bite was on that and this was all I had, I'd make it work. I've caught trout, drum, and redfish with this rig and no issues as all. The added strength the Daiwa MH has over the M gives me a little more confidence when I'm battling a redfish. I can control him a little better.
    Grade: A

Final Verdict:
    I think all these dirt cheap rods are quality. They caught plenty of fish this year and will be going strong into year 2. Even though the Daiwa are literally dirt cheap, they have a better constructed feel than the H20 and for that reason, it's all I'll buy for the foreseeable future. I feel like it's a decent rod for a weekend warrior regardless of price. Being that I'm a little tight anyway, I could stomach worse case scenario on a $30 rod way better than I could on a high-end GLoomis or St Croix. When I go out I usually have my H20 setup rigged for whatever live bait application we may use (cork or carolina), my 6'6 Daiwa with a jig head, and my 7' diawa set for popping cork artificial. It's worked well.
    Last edited by BeastMan; 10-12-2014 at 07:14 PM.

vCash
    Good review. I'll admit I'm kind of a rod snob and go for a little higher end price point. Most of mine are $130-$200 but you are right in that you can better spend your money in the reels. I have been impressed with the H2O Express Ethos Nano Series in their "feel" but have not used one. They are normally $100 but you can catch a sale periodically for $80.

vCash
    Good review.

I tend to lean Beastman's way on the rods. I prefer Ugly Stik rods. I currently use the Ugly Stik Inshore Select rods, but they have released the GX2 and Elite lines that seem to improve on the legendary Ugly Stik performance and value.

vCash
    I tend to prefer mid to high end rods, but I buy them on sale, or used. You can buy a lot of rods from pros and such that have rod deals every year pretty cheap.

I also like IM6 rods instead of the higher modulus rods due to flexibility and strength.. The higher modulus rods seem to be very brittle, although they are very light. I mostly use MH to heavy, but I like medium action with a fast tip for cranks and swim jigs, etc. the last one I bought was an AllStar Swim Jig model I got at Academy for like 69 bucks. It made a perfect crankbait (200 series) rod, until my son shut the rod box on it...
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Nice review. I've been curious about the H20 Express rods for a while. I still haven't found anything better than the All Stars for the price. I did have a local guy build me one this summer that has been great and a good price too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Nice review. I've been curious about the H20 Express rods for a while. I still haven't found anything better than the All Stars for the price. I did have a local guy build me one this summer that has been great and a good price too.
    I've always liked ASC and Abu Vendetta fir the price. You talking about speedeaux customs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I've always liked ASC and Abu Vendetta fir the price. You talking about speedeaux customs?
    Yep. He made me one in the spring and I broke the tip (my fault). I asked if he could fix it and he made me a new one, free of charge. They've both done well, so far.

vCash
    I'm going to have to try that Daiwa. I hope they make a long and heavy one- I need a cheap rod to throw the alabama rig. I decided to slowly switch most of my rods to Duckett micro magics. But the price of those is making it a very slow process.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pescador View Post
    I'm going to have to try that Daiwa. I hope they make a long and heavy one- I need a cheap rod to throw the alabama rig. I decided to slowly switch most of my rods to Duckett micro magics. But the price of those is making it a very slow process.
    I like the action of the Ducketts, but I've broken three about 6" down from the tip...

I call the Alabama Rig the Dammit rig because that's what I continuously say when I try to throw it...
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Barking 13 View Post
    I like the action of the Ducketts, but I've broken three about 6" down from the tip...

I call the Alabama Rig the Dammit rig because that's what I continuously say when I try to throw it...
    I haven't had one break yet but I know duckett has a top notch warranty.

I had a 13 Fishing Omen snap on a cast, but 13 had me a new one in the mail one week later. I'm crossing my
    fingers on the Ducketts.

As for the bama rig, I'm determined to throw it this year. Haven't caught that many fish on it, but have seen several guys wear them out with it.