Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bourbon help needed

vCash

Bourbon help needed

I'm a big Bourbon fan on game day, but I like trying different kinds. Typically I mix with coke early and then finish the night with a few glasses straight. That being said, what is your recommendation on a good bourbon to try out this weekend. Not looking for anything too expensive, but $50 and under is all fair game.

Thoughts?

vCash
    How much was that the game day crew got as gifts? It looked tasty.

vCash
    Can't recommend a bourbon since I'm a Jack Daniel's drinker. But you might try mixing your bourbon with coke zero instead of coke. Beats the hell out of diet coke, and there's less chance of a hangover. I'm convinced that sugar is the enemy when it comes to after effects of drinking. And yes I know that volume plays a big role.

Banned
    vCash
    Not to be a Bourbon snob here but you're ruining your bourbon by adding coke imo. Coke has sugar in it obviously and most bourbons already have a little bit of sugar in them as well so you're creating a drink not intended by the maker with too much sugar which will upset your stomach and get you drunk faster than normal. I never drink diet coke by itself but if I'm mixing cheap whiskey I am using diet coke not coke because the sugar in the bourbon will mix better with it. Try it out. Bourbon and diet not bourbon and coke.

vCash
    Ok, if I'm going cheap I'll do Old Forrester, otherwise lately I've been sipping on Makers and enjoy that. If I had to pick between Beam and Jack, I'd probably go with Beam. Life is too short to drink bad bourbon. Go for the good stuff.

vCash
    I like Eagle Rare. It's better than a lot of the $50+ stuff to me

Banned
    vCash
    Woodford Reserve is one of my favorites.

vCash
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

It's their single barrel and they bottle it barrel proof. It has a bit of a "spicy" kick that makes it really good. MUCH better than "regular" Wild Turkey. Give it a try; you won't be disappointed.

vCash
    If you like something different there is a local bourbon in Charleston SC (dont know if its on shelves there yet) called Virgil Kaine. Its ginger infused and it is different, if as you say, you are looking for different.

I drank so much I got sick and lost my appetite for it.

http://www.virgilkaine.com/recipes

Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 10-10-2014 at 02:37 PM.

vCash

vCash
    TX

try it if you can find it

vCash
    Glad to know I've got company in the Bourbon dept.

vCash
    Where's Bo Bounds when you need him?

vCash
    I would recommend Maker's Mark because I have yet to find a better bourbon. But I'm sure you want to try something you haven't had before. Bulliet and Eagle Rare are both solid choices if you haven't had them before. As a bourbon purist I have a comment about mixing bourbon with Coke. Here it is: Mix your bourbon with anything you want to mix it with and anybody that tells you that you are doing it wrong or you are ruining the bourbon is crazy. I have a style similar to yours. Mix with Diet Coke all day and switch to bourbon and water at night to help with hydration. One more thing. Nothing and I mean nothing goes better with college football than bourbon mixed with a sweet carbonated beverage.

vCash
    Woodford Reserve, Makers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    How much was that the game day crew got as gifts? It looked tasty.
    Around $50

vCash
    Four Roses Small Batch...really smooth

vCash
    This
    evan-williams-bourbon-290x290.jpg
    OR
    This
    new-wt-101.jpg

Both excellent and reasonably priced. I would go with the first for mixing, but either on the rocks is awesome. $$$ saved and excellent bourbon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I'm a big Bourbon fan on game day, but I like trying different kinds. Typically I mix with coke early and then finish the night with a few glasses straight. That being said, what is your recommendation on a good bourbon to try out this weekend. Not looking for anything too expensive, but $50 and under is all fair game.

Thoughts?
    My recommendation is to try to start with a bourbon on the rocks and then move to a mixer. If you're budget conscious, I would start with a good bourbon on the rocks, and then move to something like Old Charter or Wild Turkey if you're going to mix with coke. I think if you do this you will start to find that you like the bourbon better by itself or with water than you do with coke. Used to love bourbon and coke but now even though it smells heavenly, I can't drink it because it tastes too sweet.

If you move to bourbon and water instead of bourbon and coke, you will also likely experience a good little break where you don't have a hangover, provided you actually keep adding water and don't move to drinking it straight a few drinks in.

For stuff to try straight, if you like the sweet stuff, you might want to try Makers Mark first, but Knobb Creek, Basil Hayden, and Wild Turkey Rare Breed are all worth trying. I don't do a lot of bourbon so I don't really get beyond that price point.

vCash
    The game day crew got a bottle of Blanton's. Picked up a bottle at Corky's today. $57. Good stuff, been getting it for about a year now for special occasions (#3 in the nation is a special occasion to me)