Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bourbon help needed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgPoundtheRock View Post
    ^^This^^

Al knows his bourbon. Buffalo Trace is probably the best overall value, but you can't find it everywhere.
    I meant to add that the BT is like hens teeth right now. There has been a big bourbon explosion and there are shortages of some of the good ones. Another one that I hear good things about is Bowman Brothers and there is a higher priced bowman bourbon that is supposed to be really good. I haven't had them though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    Damn it. That's twice thats happened to me now. I started drinking Rip 12 in the late 90's. Now I have to find another.
    yeah the bourbon boom is in full swing and because it takes so long to age, the distilleries weren't making enough 10+ years ago in anticipation of the boom. on the bright side, there's micro-distilleries (just like microbreweries) popping up everywhere out west, the great lakes region, and the east coast (not sure about the south?), and while many of them are using whiskey barreled by the big distilleries, making a few changes, and bottling as their on while their own bourbon is aging. so hopefully in a few years, many of these micro-distilleries will be getting their first rounds of truly housemade batches out there.

vCash
    Buffalo trace....one of new favorites.

vCash
    Well if it is Bourbon , then Old Forrester or Jim Beam, or Ten year old Old Charter. But if you like Tenn. sipping Whiskey then 12 year old white label -- George Dickle .

vCash
    A lot of that is crap right now. Like wineries, aging a spirit takes some trial and error. Discovering the best spots in the warehouse, finding the right blend for your climate. The right number of years to age for your region. ( 2 years in Houston summers is more than 2 years in Kentucky or Scotland). So im letting others find that out for me first.

I also think it's cheating to use mass distilled bases and age them
    Locally and call it "blank" local bourbon or whatever. Distill your own damn base spirit. It's not hard. Make beer and boil it.

vCash

For the $$

NOTHING beats Evan Williams. Makers and Wild Turkey are comparable but cost more.

Bourbon & ice, touch of water for first couple of games. First Sat game with cool weather, mom always made a batch of Milk Punch ... Half-n-half, Evan Williams, vanilla, nutmeg, add to half gallon jar, 1/2 full of ice. Nothing better on a cool game day.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash

Evan Williams White Label to mix...

....100 proof. Inexpensive. Decent taste.

To sip or drink with a rock or two, Woodford Reserve. Woodford Reserve is the best bourbon you can buy less than $35.00 per 1/5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    A lot of that is crap right now. Like wineries, aging a spirit takes some trial and error. Discovering the best spots in the warehouse, finding the right blend for your climate. The right number of years to age for your region. ( 2 years in Houston summers is more than 2 years in Kentucky or Scotland). So im letting others find that out for me first.

I also think it's cheating to use mass distilled bases and age them
    Locally and call it "blank" local bourbon or whatever. Distill your own damn base spirit. It's not hard. Make beer and boil it.
    Young distillers gotta make money somehow while their own stuff ages.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcentral View Post
    Can't recommend a bourbon since I'm a Jack Daniel's drinker. But you might try mixing your bourbon with coke zero instead of coke. Beats the hell out of diet coke, and there's less chance of a hangover. I'm convinced that sugar is the enemy when it comes to after effects of drinking. And yes I know that volume plays a big role.
    I used to think it was carbonation, but I have disproved that theory with club soda. I think you may be right that it's the sugar. However, juices (which also have sugar) seem kinder than soft drinks.

I personally prefer just ice, maybe a splash of water. I don't see bourbon as good for shots, but sippin' neat is okay. You can taste it better without the coke too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentBastard View Post
    I would recommend Maker's Mark because I have yet to find a better bourbon. But I'm sure you want to try something you haven't had before. Bulliet and Eagle Rare are both solid choices if you haven't had them before. As a bourbon purist I have a comment about mixing bourbon with Coke. Here it is: Mix your bourbon with anything you want to mix it with and anybody that tells you that you are doing it wrong or you are ruining the bourbon is crazy. I have a style similar to yours. Mix with Diet Coke all day and switch to bourbon and water at night to help with hydration. One more thing. Nothing and I mean nothing goes better with college football than bourbon mixed with a sweet carbonated beverage.
    Can't argue with any of that, agree or not. Cheers, and another shout out for hydration.

vCash
    Blantons

vCash
    I agree. I'm gonna take Al's advice when I shop next time. Thanks