Thread: Future Offensive Line:

vCash

Future Offensive Line:

Kind of stupid to already be looking ahead to next year when this year is so much fun, but Desper passing Clayborn on the depth chart has this on my mind:

I was already comfortable with Clayborn starting at OG. Not sure if he's taken a slight step backward because of dealing with personal loss, but assuming Desper really has just made a leap, that's two very solid guards returning next year with Malone. We then have Senior coming back, along with Rufus Warren and Cole Carter at OT. Obviously Senior seems to be solid. Supposedly Carter briefly passed Senior on the depth chart in the off season, so assuming that was legit and not a motivational ploy to push Senior, that should be another solid OT. I haven't watched his on field performance, but have heard good things about Warren, so I assume with another year he will be a solid OT.

So I'm assuming next year our worst case line is:

LT - Senior
    LG - Clayborn
    C - Desper (I'm hoping he can move back here and be effective, as I'm not sure what the next option is)
    RG - Malone
    RT - Warren/Carter

My only concern would be that Desper was moved from Center after playing there in high school, and I assume there's a reason for that. Otherwise it seems like he would have been the obvious choice for backing up Day, although Beckwith would be who you want making the calls.

All-in-all though, I'm not sure how much more comfortable you could be losing three starters on the OL.

And that's not counting the potential that somebody younger like Calhoun or Jake Thomas could be ready to play. Anybody have any insight as to any younger OL that will likely play next year and how well they are doing?

vCash
    Center is my biggest concern. Rankin signing would really ease some concern over tackle

vCash
    Supposedly all of our freshman lineman look really good in practice right now. Don't forget we have Joc Johnson and hopefully Martinas Rankin added to the depth chart as well. I trust our staff, especially after the strides this unit has made this season.

vCash
    Also heard clayborn would likely move to center next year. That was said early this season, kid would be perfect for it (smart and super strong)

vCash
    Anyone know how our staff feels about Calhoun

Banned
    vCash
    I have no insight, but ridding the roster of dead weight will hopefully help. Robinson and Muniz have never contributed meaningfully.

Outside of who you listed, it'll be sort of like this year - we may not have any studs to speak of, but a few of Johnson, Thomas, Flowers and current freshmen should about be ready to play a little. Calhoun getting lots of acclaim in practice. I'm really hoping to see another JUCO OL too this year. Also heard Clayborn would be the Center.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Center is my biggest concern. Rankin signing would really ease some concern over tackle
    Who is Rankin, our newest JUCO OT target I assume?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Who is Rankin, our newest JUCO OT target I assume?
    Yes. Oklahoma and om are after him too. Not sure how likely it is we get him