Thread: MLB Draft Update(Baseball America top 500)...

vCash

MLB Draft Update(Baseball America top 500)...

11 - Hunter Renfroe
    40 - Cord Sandberg
    144 - Adam Frasier
    317 - Dakota Hudson
    411 - Evan Mitchell
    470 - Kendall Graveman
    489 - Gavin Collins
    Looks pretty bad on Frasier and Sandberg obviously, but it looks like a pretty decent chance we get all the other signees in.

By contrast around the SEC(not looking at signees, just current rosters):
    Vandy:
    51 - Ziomek
    235 - Harrell
    251 - Yastrzemski
    269 - Kemp
    398 - Navin
    425 - Gregor

LSU:
    37 - Eades
    75 - Jones
    231 - Katz
    424 - Rumbelow
    474 - Ross

Arky:
    13 - Stanek
    97 - Suggs
    126 - Astin
    468 - Fant

USCe:
    N/A

Ole Miss:
    36 - Wahl
    110 - Turner
    188 - Mayers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    11 - Hunter Renfroe
    40 - Cord Sandberg
    144 - Adam Frasier
    317 - Dakota Hudson
    411 - Evan Mitchell
    470 - Kendall Graveman
    489 - Gavin Collins
    Looks pretty bad on Frasier and Sandberg obviously, but it looks like a pretty decent chance we get all the other signees in.
    I will be shocked if Frazier is drafted that high.

Sucks that we are losing Sandberg, but I saw that Mullen and co are the first SEC team in on the #2 dual threat QB for next years recruiting class. Hopefully they can hold onto him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    I will be shocked if Frazier is drafted that high.

Sucks that we are losing Sandberg, but I saw that Mullen and co are the first SEC team in on the #2 dual threat QB for next years recruiting class. Hopefully they can hold onto him.
    Maybe he won't. But as I said 2 months ago, he won't be here next year. He's a top 10 rd guy. He doesn't gain a lot by coming back. No bargaining power and it's not like he's going to hit 10 hr next year and become a top 2 rounder. I'm one of his biggest fans and wish like heck I were wrong- but he's a goner.

vCash
    I don't see the advantage of leaving early anymore in the new system really -- unless you are a very high pick(at least in the top 10 rounds). If you fall beyond the 10th, you are getting $100k and that's it -- doesn't matter if you go in the 11th or the 40th, are a higschooler, a JR, or a 5th yr senior -- and there is no penalty to MLB teams for not signing those players.

It's almost a hard slot system now -- and "negotiating power" has very little to do with the bonuses being handed out now. The only players getting offered very much over slot value are football signees(Winston, Alford, likely Sandberg and Stewart, etc...), while no one else is taking significantly less than slot. I think the "negotiating power" angle is going to the wayside to an extent in this system, since teams are no longer willing or able to overpay like they did before.

It's absolutely conceivable that another year in the Cape or with TeamUSA could help his draft status -- and even if his bonus stays roughly the same, why not go ahead and finish the degree? I think we're going to find that Graveman helped his draft status by coming back and will make more money as well as have his degree when he's drafted again in a few days. The more times this happens for us, the better it will be for getting guys back for their 4th year...
    Last edited by engie; 05-29-2013 at 10:02 AM.

vCash

Goodbye Cord, we barely knew you....

you get to join the ranks of MSU's "what could have been" list that include the lore of individuals such as Kirk Presley, Keyshawn Johnson, Monta Ellis, Jonathan Bender and the like that signed with MSU but never made it to campus. We will only see you in an MSU uniform in our dreams. Sigh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    I don't see the advantage of leaving early anymore in the new system really -- unless you are a very high pick(at least in the top 10 rounds). If you fall beyond the 10th, you are getting $100k and that's it -- doesn't matter if you go in the 11th or the 40th -- and there is no penalty for not signing those players.

It's almost a hard slot system now -- and "negotiating power" has very little to do with the bonuses being handed out. The only players getting offered very much over slot value are football signees(Winston, Alford, likely Sandberg and Stewart, etc...), while no one else is taking significantly less than slot. I think the "negotiating power" angle is going to the wayside to an extent in this system, since teams aren't willing to overpay like they did before.

It's absolutely conceivable that another year in the Cape or with TeamUSA could help his draft status -- and if his bonus stays roughly the same, why not go ahead and finish the degree? I think we're about to see alot more guys taking this approach in the future...unless they just want out of college period.
    But they don't have to give you slot money. They can give you less. Not saying way less, As a sr you have zero bargaining power. They offer below slot- you can either take it or wait another year for another draft. Frazier isn't going to bolster his status, IMO, he is what he is. A contact hitting pro second baseman.