Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just heard we likely have 2 baseball players transferring

vCash
    Shhhh......talking about player transfers may piss off what's-his-name. May hurt the players' feelings 'n' shit.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Hate to hear about Flair. Thought he could help us next year.

vCash
    I've heard from more than one person that Flair is gone, but Brown isn't going anywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raytoraid83 View Post
    I've heard from more than one person that Flair is gone, but Brown isn't going anywhere.
    If Flair is leaving its likely because he is never going to make it anyway in the SEC. Heck, the left side of our infield next year will likely be WIDE open assuming Frazier goes. SS and 3rd will both need players because if you assume Frazier turns pro, Frost is graduating and Norris is pitching that only leaves Detz who is just sort of a makeshift 3rd baseman. Then for SS we've got Britton and maybe Hann (SS or 3rd) and that's it apart from incoming freshmen. We know Pirtle and Rea will start on the right side. Pirtle is draft eligible along with Detz but I think its safe to assume both will be back.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    If Flair is leaving its likely because he is never going to make it anyway in the SEC. Heck, the left side of our infield next year will likely be WIDE open assuming Frazier goes. SS and 3rd will both need players because if you assume Frazier turns pro, Frost is graduating and Norris is pitching that only leaves Detz who is just sort of a makeshift 3rd baseman. Then for SS we've got Britton and maybe Hann (SS or 3rd) and that's it apart from incoming freshmen. We know Pirtle and Rea will start on the right side. Pirtle is draft eligible along with Detz but I think its safe to assume both will be back.
    I think Pirtle will get a look at SS if Frazier leaves and 2nd is Hanns to lose.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    I think Pirtle will get a look at SS if Frazier leaves and 2nd is Hanns to lose.
    Is Hann>Britton?

Better yet is there any JUCO that can jump in there. I haven't seen shit from Hann.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    I think if Frazier leaves, we will have a Britton and Pirtle middle infield. I still think Britton can be a damn good player for us. He typically has a great plate approach and goes to all fields.

vCash
    I thought the plan was to groom Britton as Frazier's replacement at SS. Dunno if he can hit well enough, but he's definitely got the glove. Wish we could've found a way to use him some this season.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    He typically has a great plate approach and goes to all fields.
    Let's not get carried away now, Britton will possibly be "OK" at the plate but he would likely be a BIG step back offensively from what Frazier gives us. And Britton got less playing time this year at 2nd/SS than even Hann and I can't remember the last time he actually played in an SEC game. Not saying he can't get the job done but Cohen really hyped him as a true freshman at SS and when the lights came on he was awful defensively and a minus hitter at the plate. He has had a lot of time to mature since then but in no way am I convinced right now that he is definitely our SS heir apparent.

vCash
    Are we sure pirtle won't be drafted? I think he's a better pro prospect than Adam. Both good defensively. Neither have much power, but pirtle has more. Pirtle being a switch and actually playing the position that both would be drafted for makes me think pirtle has a better chance of making mlb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Let's not get carried away now, Britton will possibly be "OK" at the plate but he would likely be a BIG step back offensively from what Frazier gives us. And Britton got less playing time this year at 2nd/SS than even Hann and I can't remember the last time he actually played in an SEC game. Not saying he can't get the job done but Cohen really hyped him as a true freshman at SS and when the lights came on he was awful defensively and a minus hitter at the plate. He has had a lot of time to mature since then but in no way am I convinced right now that he is definitely our SS heir apparent.
    I missed the part where I said he would be on par with Frazier. Dont read too much into what I posted...I think he has a great aporoach at the plate and that I THINK he can be a really good player for us.

Frazier made quite a jump from Fresh to Soph year...and I think Britton could do the same from Soph to Junior. Of course, he will have to get the Pirtle treatment where he actualky gets a chance to get some at bats....not the Trey Porter treatment.

I think he can be really good....not saying he will be Frazier 2.0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Msstate7 View Post
    Are we sure pirtle won't be drafted? I think he's a better pro prospect than Adam. Both good defensively. Neither have much power, but pirtle has more. Pirtle being a switch and actually playing the position that both would be drafted for makes me think pirtle has a better chance of making mlb
    From the 10th round on, every single player get the same signing bonus. $100k. Literally no difference over those rounds.

In Pirtle's case, he's unlikely to be taken in the top 10 rounds, and thus why he's likely to raise his stock by coming back(he's seen constant improvement this year), and then actually make more money when signing as a senior.

I see sub-10th rounders as a no-brainer to come back and finish school at this point unless they simply want out. The new slotting changes the "negotiation" angle altogether...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I missed the part where I said he would be on par with Frazier. Dont read too much into what I posted...I think he has a great aporoach at the plate and that I THINK he can be a really good player for us.

Frazier made quite a jump from Fresh to Soph year...and I think Britton could do the same from Soph to Junior. Of course, he will have to get the Pirtle treatment where he actualky gets a chance to get some at bats....not the Trey Porter treatment.

I think he can be really good....not saying he will be Frazier 2.0
    Sorry, wasn't intending to imply that YOU said he would be on par with Frazier or anywhere close, I was just making the point that he would likely be a big dropoff from Frazier. To be honest though I haven't seen enough from Britton the last year and a half to make any real judgement on him other than to believe that if he was really going to take over at SS then we would have seen more of him this year.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 05-29-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Will James View Post
    Is Hann>Britton?

Better yet is there any JUCO that can jump in there. I haven't seen shit from Hann.
    I think if Hann plays in a competitive summer league then he will be a better option than Britton for next year. I give him and Robson the benefit of the doubt because they played high school in Canada and I doubt they saw anything near the level of talent they have seen this year on a regular basis. I'm sure Britton will get the opening day nod, but If there are problems in the field, I doubt he will be a starter very long.