Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just heard we likely have 2 baseball players transferring

vCash

Just heard we likely have 2 baseball players transferring

Nick Flair and Preston Brown per Paul Jones on 24/7

There could be a lot of players leaving from this years team. We have 7 Srs and Hunter Renfroe, Adam Frazier, and Evan Mitchell may all get drafted and sign.

Gonna have to rely on a lot of new faces next year. Catcher really worries me the most.

vCash
    The only FR who played any for us this year who are likely returning are
    Jacob Robson
    Kyle Hann
    Myles Gentry
    John Mark Shelley
    RS- Daniel Gardner, Cody Brown and a couple walkons

Banned
    vCash
    We'll be A-OK

vCash
    I'm not surprised by this. We'll be ok- plus I expect a couple of the freshmen to play next year
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Yep, we'll be fine. We've yet to lose a guy that went on to a big career elsewhere... even among the ones that we thought showed promise.

Some attrition has consistently been a good thing under Cohen. I'd be surprised if we don't lose more than two honestly.

We've got 7-8 guys coming in that will contribute immediately in some capacities IMO -- either on the hill or in the field. Think we've got 3-4 that play in the field(Rooker, Humphries, Vickerson, Ingram, Collins) and 3-4 that see time on the mound(Sexton, Hudson, Houston, Hudspeth, Tatum)...

This incoming class is, by FAR, the best we've seen thusfar. Especially if Sandberg and Simpson show up and play baseball at all...
    Last edited by engie; 05-28-2013 at 08:47 PM.

vCash
    How good is the Dakota kid and did Humphries get miss player of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RBritt View Post
    How good is the Dakota kid
    Best pitcher, potential-wise, of Cohen's tenure thusfar most likely. He's not as polished as Woodruff was coming in, but he's a guy that has gained 4-6 mph on his fastball in each of the past two years. He's in the mid-90s now and has the body type to get even more out of it. Could easily grow into a high-90s guy. Naturally, we're pretty worried about him in the draft.

and did Humphries get miss player of the year.
    Don't think it has been announced yet, but could be wrong...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RBritt View Post
    How good is the Dakota kid and did Humphries get miss player of the year.
    I thought I saw that Humphries was named Gatorade Player of the Year today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    I thought I saw that Humphries was named Gatorade Player of the Year today.
    This is correct. Just found the tweets...

Rod Walker ?@rwalker1906 8h
    NW Rankin's Reid Humphreys named Mississippi's Gatorade Player of Year.His 11 HRs led state according to MaxPreps.Tyler Moore's little bro

vCash
    Innings are going to be tough to find for the newcomers:

1. Woody
    2. Lindgren
    3. Fitts
    4. Cox
    5. Mitchell
    6. Holder
    7. Shelley
    8. Gentry
    9. Norris
    10. Bracewell (if he returns)

And that doesnt include guys that we redshirted

vCash
    Several of these new guys will certainly have roles. Hudson could easily be a weekend starter by the time next season is over. He's that potentially dominant.

You've also got 2 very high ceiling guys(Woodruff and Lindgren) that we really don't have a clue what to expect from at this point. I'd go so far as to say that we don't have a single "surefire" or truly proven weekend starter next year as of right now. As Lindgren and Woodruff go, so goes our season next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by engie View Post
    Several of these new guys will certainly have roles. Hudson could easily be a weekend starter by the time next season is over. He's that potentially dominant.

You've also got 2 very high ceiling guys(Woodruff and Lindgren) that we really don't have a clue what to expect from at this point. I'd go so far as to say that we don't have a single "surefire" or truly proven weekend starter next year as of right now. As Lindgren and Woodruff go, so goes our season next year.
    Yeah, but if all 10 of those guys are back and healthy- they will be on the weekend roster. That only leaves another spot or two

I hope Hudson is as good as advertised- would be huge for us
    Last edited by Coach34; 05-28-2013 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

1. Woody
    2. Lindgren
    3. Fitts
    4. Cox
    5. Mitchell
    6. Holder
    7. Shelley
    8. Gentry
    9. Norris

What pitchers did we redshirt?

Coach possibly as many as 4 of our pitching signees will get drafted. They may steal innings from guys like Fitts, Gentry, Shelley, Norris and even Lindgrin if he can't get his stuff together.

We have some guys who can sling it coming in.

vCash
    Yeah, but if all 10 of those guys are back and healthy- they will be on the weekend roster. That only leaves another spot or two

I hope Hudson is as good as advertised- would be huge for us
    Hudson has been clocked at 95-96 this year, Tatum and Houston also are in the low 90's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 601Dawg View Post

Coach possibly as many as 4 of our pitching signees will get drafted. They may steal innings from guys like Fitts, Gentry, Shelley, Norris and even Lindgrin if he can't get his stuff together.

I know we have signed a really good class- but much like our 2-deep at LB in football- there just isnt much room- it's already full of good players.

vCash
    I know we have signed a really good class- but much like our 2-deep at LB in football- there just isnt much room- it's already full of good players.
    Who are the pitchers you said redshirted??? The only FR pitchers on our roster not named Gentry or Shelley will likely never see the mound at Dudy Noble.

vCash
    Who are the pitchers you said redshirted??? The only FR pitchers on our roster not named Gentry or Shelley will likely never see the mound at Dudy Noble.
    whomever Anothony Anello and Alex Deise are- plus JC guy Wes Stokes that are on our roster. I dont know a thing about them

vCash

Nobody that would get innings from an incoming stud.

vCash

1. Woody
    2. Lindgren
    3. Fitts
    4. Cox
    5. Mitchell
    6. Holder
    7. Shelley
    8. Gentry
    9. Norris

Can any of these guys play 3rd? Please tell me we'll have a dependable 3rd baseman next season

vCash
    I'm just slow to apply too much developmental expectation to Woodruff and Lindgren based on what we know at this point. This year burned me on them to an extent(yes I realize Woody was injured and Lindgren hasn't exactly been healthy either). We were always going to be reliant on those two guys to be truly elite this year -- and losing one and having the other underperform has been a huge setback. Without those two guys, we've overperformed as a team -- and as optimistic as my initial expectations were, they were actually still met despite not having our two(really 3) "aces" step up -- thus my expectations have been surpassed given the circumstances of the season for the third straight year.

Leads me to question what might have been -- and just how close we are to being on a truly elite level right now while still playing shorthanded and handcuffed in a big way... If Lindgren becomes "what he is supposed to be" and Woodruff does as well, the sky is the limit to how good we can be next year. If we don't get demolished in the draft with our jrs and incoming freshmen, we ought to be pretty damn near a "teflon" stage where no single thing prevents us from being tremendous.