Thread: Predicting the SEC by way of Stats: MSU wins the West

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

Predicting the SEC by way of Stats: MSU wins the West

Apparently the stats say that MSU will win the West with most likely a 6-2 Conference Record

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...rojection-2014
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Apparently the stats say that MSU will win the West with most likely a 6-2 Conference Record

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...rojection-2014
    This bears out what we stated in the preseason piece, which is that the game vs A&M is, by far, the most important game of the season. Win, and we are somewhere between contenders and favorites to win the west. Lose, and we are basically out of the west race.

Also shows how valuable home field is. All these teams in the west are separated by less than a TD on paper but very few road teams are given a 50%+ chance of winning.

Banned
    vCash
    Every game is the most important game of the season. Week-by-week is the only way to do it.

vCash
    I haven't read the article yet but winning with a 6-2 record seems to me to be a long shot. That would mean we either beat Alabama on the road or they lose three conference games. I really don't see them losing three conference games so our best shot would be beating them on the road, and if we do that then I don't think we have a 6-2 conference record. We would also have to have a tie breaker of A&M unless they lose three conference games and I don't see that happening either. So that leaves one to assume we beat LSU, BAMA, and A&M for three wins. If we do that I certainly think we are able to beat UK and Vandy. That is 5 SEC wins. That means we would have to go 1-2 against Arkansas, Auburn, and TSUN. All three of those teams I could see with at least 3 conference losses. Arkansas already has one and I believe TSUN gets their first one Saturday. Or where am I going wrong?

vCash
    The SEC West is the best division in the country and might end up the best division of all time, and Mississippi State might have the best chance of winning it.
    Love this quote.