Thread: Boat guys, opinions please.

vCash

Boat guys, opinions please.

I'm presently boatless and it is killin' me! Been without one for a couple years now. Blew a power head on a 200 Merc and just wasn't in a position to repair. I've always been a bass boat man but I'm wanting a center console dual purpose rig for Ross Barnett and the South LA marsh. Kinda leaning toward aluminum due to cost, weight, outboard, towing, etc. I realize I will give up ride but I think with a 20 foot or slightly bigger I will be ok. I like the 20-22' Xpress bay boats but the Excel has also caught my eye. They make a 20' and 22' Bay Pro. Plus I could get by with hanging a 115 on the back. Any thoughts?

vCash
    If you're a south LA marsh guy that doesn't have to cross a lot of open water, I'd do exactly what you're saying. I know the Xpress bay boats are wildly popular in LA. G3 also has a bay model that would be worth looking at IMO http://www.g3boats.com/bay-20-dlx-de...y-fishing-boat

ETA- if you comb through craigslist and boattrader, you can use my find a great deal on an express. Although it wasn't aluminum, there was a fairly new 20ft cc Kenner w/a 150 with under 40 hours for 15k in craigslist in Alabama. Was a steal and sold quickly. Probably the best deal I've seen/heard of lately.
    Last edited by BeastMan; 09-20-2014 at 10:37 AM.

vCash
    Wish I had seen that. A deal like that would change my mind on aluminum in a hurry. I get emails from Boatrader when something comes up like I'm looking for. Louisiana Sportsman classifieds are pretty good too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Wish I had seen that. A deal like that would change my mind on aluminum in a hurry. I get emails from Boatrader when something comes up like I'm looking for. Louisiana Sportsman classifieds are pretty good too.
    You're right on La Sportsman classifieds. I'll be on the lookout. If I see any steals like that, I'll pm you

vCash
    Another option: Lowe 22 Bay

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDawg4Life View Post
    Another option: Lowe 22 Bay

That's one sexy boat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    You're right on La Sportsman classifieds. I'll be on the lookout. If I see any steals like that, I'll pm you
    Thanks Beastman. Also, had not thought about the Lowe MSUDawg. Sweet looking rig. I need to investigate those a little further.

vCash
    I think beastman nailed it on the Xpress. That's exactly what I was going to tell you. They are great boats.

vCash
    When you go with a bay boat 18 to 22 feet you can use for both fresh and salt. Never, never get a bass boat near salt water the electrical connections will be the first to go.

vCash
    Also there are many, many choices in a wide price range. Do your research; length, power, layout & storage, trailer ability, and last but not least how much will you use the damn thing. Unfortunately due to life's obligations I have a $30,000 hydra sports bay boat that hasn't been in the water in the past year. That will be remedied soon. Enjoy the new toy.

vCash
    Another intriguing option:

Triumph 215 CC

vCash
    Offshore Dawg,

If I could pick out any boat I wanted and price wasn't an issue, I'd get a hydra sport bay bolt. I love those boats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    and last but not least how much will you use the damn thing.
    Yep. That's the reason I want a dual purpose rig. I'm about 250 miles or so from the ramp in South LA but I'm about a mile from Ross Barnett. I can bass fish out of a 19'-20' center console bay boat just as well as I can out of a 20' Ranger, Bass Cat, Nitro, Skeeter, etc.

vCash
    State82 I started water skiing in Ross Barnett in 69

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Offshore Dawg,

If I could pick out any boat I wanted and price wasn't an issue, I'd get a hydra sport bay bolt. I love those boats
    The 23 ft Bay bolt is the newer upgrade of the model I have, and they have more than doubled the cost since I bought mine.