Thread: Layering food plots

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash

Layering food plots

I've recently been researching items for my fall food plot and came across this idea of "layering" food plots. Has anyone ever tried something like this and if so, how did it work out? What does everyone plant otherwise?http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/fo....php?p=5159478
    Here's the basic premise:
    "I encourage you to pick your optimum time and do this:
    1. Lets say your optimum time in the UP of MI is August 27th. Step back 2-3 weeks and plant a "light" grain mix of 50#s of oats and 50-100#s of Austrian or Forage peas (even more if you can afford it), per acre. Young oats and peas are like candy and it effectively establishes the use of the plot.

2. Around you "optimum time", broadcast 100#s per acre of rye, right on top of the previous planting of oats and peas.

3. 2-3 weeks later do the same again! Broadcast 100#s of rye per acre on top of the oats and peas, as well as the 2nd planting of rye.

You end up with an incredibly matted and solid planting of grains and your goal is to offer maturing oats and peas as the initial candy...followed by the layered and incredibly lush base of rye. Another goal is to make the soil "disappear" as it is gives way to a thick carpet of green. Deer feed from the top-down...so let your plot fill in from the bottom up with layered plantings."

vCash

I understand the logic, but see a few changes I would make.

In high deer density areas, the beans will be gone quickly. Then the 1st good frost will get the oats. After Nov, you are left only with rye.

I've done similar to the above recommendation, but have not found it any better than putting out seed in just 1 trip. Multiple trips also requires more time obviously.

Here is my take on "layering plots". With the oats, I mix in some crimson clover (or whatever annual clover you like) at a rate of 5lb/ac. AND/OR some type of brassica (purple top turnip are cheap and produce great food early and late season). Then I come back a couple weeks and broadcast 100lb/ac of rye or wheat. Theses grains can handle colder weather/frosts so you can plant them later. This will give you a variety of foods throughout the winter, whereas beans and oats are done after 1st frost.

Although I really don't see the need to come back twice with 100lbs/acre. That seems like a waste of money. The only thing this would benefit would weed control.

vCash
    I've never had an issue with my oats after a frost.

As for the original idea, it would prolly work but not sure how much better it would be than one solid planting in a good seed bed. If you do go this route make sure you are not using rye grass. Rye is a cereal grain like wheat or oats, rye grass is a whole nother type of grass that competes against anything you plant around it and can establish itself and become hard to get rid of. Also, it brings little to no nutritional benefits to the deer.

vCash
    Anything you ever wanted to know about deer food plots is on the Qdma forums. The layering stuff seems like a lot of trouble for something very simple.