Thread: Need advice on a bow

vCash

Need advice on a bow

So, I have a new place to go hunting here in TX, but it is bow hunting only due to proximity to some neighborhoods. The problem is that I have never been bow hunting and don't own a bow. So I need some help/advice.

1. Any recommendations on a good bow for a beginner?
    2. I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on a bow until I determine if I like bow hunting. Does anyone know of good places to look for a decent quality used bow? Also, what is a realistic amount of $$ to pay for a decent quality used bow?
    3. Any other advice or things I should think about/consider.

Thanks.

vCash
    First thing, go to a bow shop and shoot as many as you can. It can be intimidating if you have never bow hunted, but you can learn a lot and get a feel for what you like. Get them to measure your draw length and when you shoot a few you should get a feel of what draw weight you need. You should be able to draw the bow back, while sitting down and not having to point the bow up in the air, etc. You don't need a huge draw weight to kill a deer. A lot of people will tell you Brand A is so much better than Brand B, but almost all compound bows these days are high quality. I can assure you that they will all kill a deer with no problem. I killed my first with a cheapo Bear ready-to-hunt package from Academy. I shoot a Mathews now and love it. I would suggest looking around craigslist and some hunting forums for a used bow. You should be able to get a decent setup for a few hundred bucks.

Lastly, practice plenty, but don't shoot so much each day that you start to develop bad/lazy habits. Shot a few rounds each afternoon or when you get a chance. Good luck. You will be hooked in no time.

vCash
    Speck hit the nail on the head. I have been shooting a bow my whole life and am a Mathews fan but I currently am shooting a Mission by Mathews. In my opinion if you are going to buy a new bow they are the best for the dollar. Every person is different when it comes to what they are looking for in a bow. Biggest advise I can give you is to be comfortable with whatever bow you decide on. Also, have an experienced archer help you with your form. Good form is the key, from drawing the bow back to making the shot. Best of luck and if you have any questions I will do my best to help you.

vCash
    Probably the cheapest way to go is buy a bow with it already set up, like what was said make sure they get your draw length correct and shoot several times to get the correct draw weight. I shoot a super hawk Hoyt and have for several years. Bows have come a long ways and most are good, I wouldn't be caught up so much in the brand, find a bow that is comfortable and feels good in your hands! Good luck and good shooting!

vCash
    some people prefer a "curtsy" but I think a regular bow is much more manly. JMO.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    I shoot an " el cheapo" that I got from Walmart a few years back. I have killed deer, turkey, raccoons, hogs, and even a few armadillos with it. After nearly 8 years, I will probably get a new bow after this season.
    As others have said, the quality of bows today are so good that you really can't go very wrong with any particular brand. Just be sure to find your draw length and find a draw weight that you are comfortable hunting with. Best of luck to your season!

vCash
    Like earlier posters stated, make sure you shoot some bows first and get an idea for the specs that fit you. I have shot PSE, Bowtech, Mathews and Hoyt. I liked them all and recommend looking on eBay. I am left handed so it is hard to find a used bow around here. I have never been burned on eBay and you can find a great deal on a bow with extras. Bowtech was very smooth but I liked both PSE and Mathews better. I prefer shorter axle bows due to climber and blind hunting. I like Mathews single cam bows because they are easier to tune but was more consistent with a PSE.

vCash
    I'm a Hoyt fan myself never had any issues with limbs or cams. They are compact for hunting