Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new baseball commit!!!

vCash

Another new baseball commit!!!

Highly rated Parker Ford, 6-3 210, RHP, ranked 53rd in country by PG, class of 2015.

vCash
    94 MPH fastball & "very good breaking ball".

Welcome, Parker!

vCash
    That makes 4 top 100 by Perfect Game. That should put us in top 5 of their rankings, anyway. Get as many highly rated as you can...

vCash
    Where is he from?

vCash
    Kale Breaux tweeted "glad I could help" to Parker, so these guys talk, these guys stick together. Parker must have asked him about colleges and Kale said Miss State is the place to go.

vCash
    Lufkin, Tx

vCash
    Lufkin Tx, plays on same travel team as Breaux. The Texas Sun Devils.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    Highly rated Parker Ford, 6-3 210, RHP, ranked 53rd in country by PG, class of 2015.
    Nice!! Welcome aboard Parker Ford! Cool name too

vCash
    Welcome aboard Parker! This 2015 class is going to be incredible.

vCash
    We are actually committing the type players now that I expected when Cohen was hired.

In retrospect, I expected (wanted) too much to quick.

But by god we are there now.

Hats off to Cohen, Thompson and Mingione.

vCash
    Awesome. Seems like a big time recruit. This class is unreal so far

Banned
    vCash
    He supposedly was still hitting 90 on his fb after 100 pitches in a playoff game last year. That's the type guy id love to have on a Friday night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    We are actually committing the type players now that I expected when Cohen was hired.

In retrospect, I expected (wanted) too much to quick.

But by god we are there now.

Hats off to Cohen, Thompson and Mingione.
    I wonder if we have changed philosophies about the type of players we want or if we just haven't been able to get these types until recently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    He supposedly was still hitting 90 on his fb after 100 pitches in a playoff game last year. That's the type guy id love to have on a Friday night.
    Especially if he also has that "very good breaking ball" If they happen to have a nearly identical-looking release, that could make his fastball even more deadly.

vCash
    I do think Cohen's philosophy changed after Omaha. No way can we win a championship without going after high end guys and keeping them. I think he saw that. He also saw teams keeping highly rated players. IMO, we need a future MLBer on the pitching staff and in the field EACH year to compete. Not pro player but a MLBer. Sign 5 highly rated players, keep two EACH year and those guys will form a great team. All the other big programs are doing it. We can't fin Hunter Renfroe's each year, that was lucky. Mix in the highly rated player with an Adam Frazier and we will win big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    I do think Cohen's philosophy changed after Omaha. No way can we win a championship without going after high end guys and keeping them. I think he saw that. He also saw teams keeping highly rated players. IMO, we need a future MLBer on the pitching staff and in the field EACH year to compete. Not pro player but a MLBer. Sign 5 highly rated players, keep two EACH year and those guys will form a great team. All the other big programs are doing it. We can't fin Hunter Renfroe's each year, that was lucky. Mix in the highly rated player with an Adam Frazier and we will win big time.
    Not sure why for Cohen at MSU it took Omaha to change his strategy on that though because he was having Top10 classes at the end of his tenure at KY. No way can you tell me its easier to attract high end talent for baseball at KY than it is at MSU.

vCash
    He must have been getting guys underrated from the Midwest. I know for a fact he went to the NW. That is where his connections are in Washington State. He found Heck that way. One of Ky's biggest players was from Wash St. Getting guys from northern states that don't play much is a gamble, but they are not worn out and they are just as good.

vCash
    He may have been going with the small ball approach as far as position players and those usually aren't high draft choice types. Either way, let's just hope we can keep a fraction of what vandy keeps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Here's the awesome thing. Jared Padgett and Austin Riley are also guys I'd like to have on a Friday night. If we have three Friday night guys in the rotation, I'll just have to get over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Not sure why for Cohen at MSU it took Omaha to change his strategy on that though because he was having Top10 classes at the end of his tenure at KY. No way can you tell me its easier to attract high end talent for baseball at KY than it is at MSU.
    Sadly at the time it was. It takes a few years to form relationships with these players. See the fact that we are having guys commit before their sophomore year already. You don't just wait until their junior year to go after them- and that was one of Polk's fatal flaws.

On top of that, we were having losing seasons and a much publicized falling out with the former coach and as an outsider looking in, I'm sure some recruits had their doubts about how long Cohen might last with split support. We knew that he would be fine, but an outsider from California wouldn't know that.

We also no longer had the facility and big crowd advantage.

Now that Cohen has been here for six years, we have caught up. Recruits have seen consistent sustained success and guys going to pro baseball as high picks and that's what they want to see along with everything else.