Thread: Academy Flowood

vCash

Academy Flowood

My dad told me he was disappointed with no saltwater stuff. I finally got out there today and I was still extremely disappointed knowing there was no saltwater. If you were expecting anything different than the county line store, you will be too. I'm looking to buy another shimano spinning reel. They had 2. The 2 cheapest at that (IX and Sienna). I doubt I'll go back unless it's for a Columbia shirt of something b/c their gear selection sucks.

vCash
    You are spot on. My exact sentiment. Maybe they will improve inventory over time, but the County Line store is actually better for selection at present. Very disappointed.

vCash
    I went to an Academy in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed at the selection there also. They didn't have many of the things I wanted. I bought a few items there, but I think I'll be better off buying most of my stuff online. That way I can get exactly what I want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I'm looking to buy another shimano spinning reel. They had 2. The 2 cheapest at that (IX and Sienna).
    I usually don't buy cheap reels anymore, because you usually get what you pay for with them. However, I recently grabbed a Sienna 2500 at Academy and spooled it with 20lb power-pro. I had let my dad borrow a few reels for a trip and wanted another spinning reel for my trip on that same day. I was really impressed with that Sienna for $25. It casted great, drag felt great and did a great job landing my biggest trout to date. I rinsed it when I got home and got it out a few days later to make sure it hadn't fallen apart yet. This was obviously only one use, but it was great. I'm sure it won't last, but we shall see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    I usually don't buy cheap reels anymore, because you usually get what you pay for with them. However, I recently grabbed a Sienna 2500 at Academy and spooled it with 20lb power-pro. I had let my dad borrow a few reels for a trip and wanted another spinning reel for my trip on that same day. I was really impressed with that Sienna for $25. It casted great, drag felt great and did a great job landing my biggest trout to date. I rinsed it when I got home and got it out a few days later to make sure it hadn't fallen apart yet. This was obviously only one use, but it was great. I'm sure it won't last, but we shall see.
    I've actually been on a chartered trip in LA where he had siennas and they were fine. I had my heart set on a Saharra (which isn't expensive) and might have settled for a sonora. No gear snob here. Wait till my cheapskate rod review coming next month. All the setups are either Stradic FJ or saharas. I've gotten my Saharas brand new off eBay for $60-$65. It retails at 75-80. Outstanding reel for an affordable price.

vCash
    Have y'all tried the H2O Express rods? I'm not much on the cheap stuff either, but the Nano series feels pretty good for $100.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Have y'all tried the H2O Express rods? I'm not much on the cheap stuff either, but the Nano series feels pretty good for $100.
    I currently have 1 setup w/the h2o express ethos inshore (7 foot, medium). I like it but don't love it. The rod is great but the fitting where the rod screws the reel into place doesn't feel right. I can't explain it besides it feels like it loosens, and I check it 2-3x every time I use it, but it doesn't come loose. Maybe I'm paranoid about it...