Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's play a game called crazy stars

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Gotta give some love to my alma mater here. Yes, they've had a bunch of busts. But they've produced some damn good players, too. Peria & John Jerry and Jamarca Sanford are all in the NFL. Isaac Gross is an undersized but badass DT. Chris Young & Kevin Cooper were damn good college WRs. In fact, The Kang always said one of his biggest regrets was not redshirting Cooper in 97. Supposedly he was hurt all year and JWS thought he'd have had a bigger impact on the '99 team. Paul Morgan was a very good FB. Paul Rudd & our very own Deshea Townsend both started in the NFL. Omar Henderson was a good ST guy for us. And for all the shit we give Eddie Strong for his intelligence or lack thereof, he was a beast on the college level. Can't forget Cassius Ware, either. And I'm sure I'm missing a few in there somewhere. SP's busts are just more prominent and more frequent than other MS HSs, because we're the premier MS HS football program and produce so much DI talent.
    It's interesting to me how many of those guys that were actually successful DIDN'T go to Ole Miss. It kind of makes you wonder.

Pegues and Market are also good players that didn't stay home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's interesting to me how many of those guys that were actually successful DIDN'T go to Ole Miss. It kind of makes you wonder.

D'oh! Knew I was forgetting some guys. Mario Bobo, too. I'm still pissed Crxxm screwed him out of his SR season when he'd have been a starter for us at CB.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Ole Miss will always go after a few stars to make the sheep happy, but I think Freeze is a better recruiter than his predecessor unfortunately... Most of the guys on that list above are from the first 2 full recruiting classes under Nutt... Houston Nutt chased stars for two reasons... 1) He knew the Ole Miss sheep would eat it up because Cutt had been raped by JWS so many years on the recruiting trail 2) he wanted to prove to the average fan he wasn't a lazy recruiter. #2 is funny, because chasing stars that were grade and character risks, is about as lazy as you can get.

We rightfully beat up on them because we own the egg bowl rivalry, but gone are the days of either team dominating this rivalry... I've been a fan for a long time. Very rarely do both schools have competent coaches at the same time... If there was ever a chance, it was Tubbs/JWS... Cutt was okay, but he was flat middle of the road without his savior Eli... Jackie was a far better coach and recruiter. If both of our coaches stick around, I expect this egg bowl to be a bloodbath every year for the foreseeable future... As much as I love to see them fail, I enjoy the challenge and bragging rights earned by beating a good OM team. That may be blasphemy, but it's how I feel... I'd rather both teams be 9-2 going into the egg bowl, than us 9-2, and them 5-6. Rivalries are bigger and better when both teams are successful. Just look at the Iron Bowl.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

While I agree Northern Mississippi always has the busts, you cant have your cake and eat it too.

Pegues was the highly rated guy with offers all over the country, while J. Sanford was the 2 star underrated guy w/ no offers. One signed with us and never sniffed Nfl, while the other safety starts in the nfl.

Banned
    vCash
    But at the same time I chalk up the lack of Peuges reaching potential to Crooms. Had he been on a Dan type team, he'd been on another level and likely be an nfl starter. Its a shame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo352 View Post
    We rightfully beat up on them because we own the egg bowl rivalry, but gone are the days of either team dominating this rivalry... I've been a fan for a long time. Very rarely do both schools have competent coaches at the same time... If there was ever a chance, it was Tubbs/JWS... Cutt was okay, but he was flat middle of the road without his savior Eli... Jackie was a far better coach and recruiter. If both of our coaches stick around, I expect this egg bowl to be a bloodbath every year for the foreseeable future... As much as I love to see them fail, I enjoy the challenge and bragging rights earned by beating a good OM team. That may be blasphemy, but it's how I feel... I'd rather both teams be 9-2 going into the egg bowl, than us 9-2, and them 5-6. Rivalries are bigger and better when both teams are successful. Just look at the Iron Bowl.
    I gotta disagree with some of this. We are dominating the rivalry right now, and will continue to do so as long as Mullen is around. That it is spilling over into recruiting now says all you need to know about where the momentum is. It's not 1958 anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998Dawg View Post
    But at the same time I chalk up the lack of Peuges reaching potential to Crooms. Had he been on a Dan type team, he'd been on another level and likely be an nfl starter. Its a shame.
    I love Pigues, and he was a good dawg, but this is overdoing it. He didn't have the size or speed to make an NFL roster at corner. He was a great college player, but sometimes that just doesn't translate.

Banned
    vCash
    He could of played safety in the nfl

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1998Dawg View Post
    He could of played safety in the nfl
    If he could've, he would have. He's not big enough to be a safety, and not fast enough to be a corner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    I love Pigues, and he was a good dawg, but this is overdoing it. He didn't have the size or speed to make an NFL roster at corner. He was a great college player, but sometimes that just doesn't translate.
    Wrong. He had a FA contract with the Giants after a bad SR season and a terrible combine. Then he pissed it away with a drug arrest. That's on him. But what IS on Crxxm is allowing him to become too bulked up his SR season and not giving him chances to moonlight on offense. I think I saw literally every game of DP's career in both HS and college, and I can say with certainty he was one of the best athletes I've ever seen. He had NFL talent, but he also apparently had too much don't give a damn.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Wrong. He had a FA contract with the Giants after a bad SR season and a terrible combine. Then he pissed it away with a drug arrest. That's on him. But what IS on Crxxm is allowing him to become too bulked up his SR season and not giving him chances to moonlight on offense. I think I saw literally every game of DP's career in both HS and college, and I can say with certainty he was one of the best athletes I've ever seen. He had NFL talent, but he also apparently had too much don't give a damn.
    In other words, you're biased. It's ok to be. If you're an NFL talent, the NFL will find you. I liked Pigues...one of my favorite dawgs. But a little objectivity never hurt anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Ole Miss football recruiting is like a yearly repeat of the TrailBlazers drafting Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan. Ole Miss thinks they win bc they got the "#1 pick"......and then 3 years later after he busts, Bowie's replacement is lined up across from Michael Jordan in the egg bowl getting his ****ing teeth kicked in.
    So does that mean the Trailblazers never gave Michael Jordan a committable offer?

vCash
    Another question should be

Why do so many ole miss and msu 4 and 5 stars not pan out. They have more burn outs than we do but our better players seem to be folks that nobody wanted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    In other words, you're biased. It's ok to be. If you're an NFL talent, the NFL will find you. I liked Pigues...one of my favorite dawgs. But a little objectivity never hurt anyone.
    Uhhhh.....the NFL DID find him. FA contract. And I'll admit I'm a little biased, but I'll put my record on projecting players up against anyone. Tig Barksdale might be the best player I've ever seen, but he couldn't stay clean around Batesville and his posse. He's a shell of what he was. Damn shame. Btw, Jamarca & DP were teammates together. Anyone who saw them play will tell you hands down that DP was the better player. The difference is Jamarca had the "want to" you need to be great. DP tried to coast on talent alone.

vCash
    Uhhhh.....the NFL DID find him. FA contract. And I'll admit I'm a little biased, but I'll put my record on projecting players up against anyone. Tig Barksdale might be the best player I've ever seen, but he couldn't stay clean around Batesville and his posse. He's a shell of what he was. Damn shame. Btw, Jamarca & DP were teammates together. Anyone who saw them play will tell you hands down that DP was the better player. The difference is Jamarca had the "want to" you need to be great. DP tried to coast on talent alone.
    They found him. As a FA. I wonder what % of non-drafted FA signings make it? Some do, but it's not very common. He maybe would've stuck on the practice squad, but he was a tweener. As you referenced, his combine performance did him in.

You are talking about who the better player was when they were on the same team in high school. By that logic, Al Bundy should have every NFL rushing record.

It is what it is.