Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Movies that are surprisingly good without getting much pub

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Rushmore.

Speaking of Wes Anderson flicks, and yes, I know it was highly publicized, but The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of the most uniquely funny movies I've ever seen. I really enjoyed it.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Speaking of Wes Anderson flicks, and yes, I know it was highly publicized, but The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of the most uniquely funny movies I've ever seen. I really enjoyed it.
    Ha what an all-star cast, just added it to my list to watch. Thx

vCash
    In lieu of tonight's very sad news, I'll just leave this here for y'all.

Banned
    vCash
    Just noticing the thread and can't sleep. Long list, but worthwhile movies from my lifetime!! I know some won awards or were recognized, but I feel like none of these got the wider appeal that they deserved and if you haven't seen anything here, it's a worthwhile list to explore!

Boyhood - This is in indie theatres now and is an amazing movie. Chronicles a boy growing up and was actually filmed over 12 years with same actors. Linklater is a genius.
    Tape
    Before Sunset - these last two are two more Richard Linklater films that are shot in realtime. More fascinating pieces of art with a style different than you've seen before.
    Primer - Saw this mentioned earlier and I'm glad. GREAT movie and mindbender. Will give you headaches.
    Mud - M McCaugnahey's best role in my opinion. Great southern gothic type piece with literary undertones.
    Beasts of the Southern Wild - Another great southern film focusing on life in rural Louisiana around a hurricane. Pretty powerful.
    All the Real Girls - David Gordon Green film from back when he was doing serious work. Similar in style to the last two in that it's an art-style southern film. You'll recognize some faces in this one!
    Original "Old Boy" - this is in subtitles and probably 10 years old now, but it is fantastic. Best revenge movie ever made.
    Three Kings - this one was directed by David Russell and saw national appeal but is largely forgotten. Eye opening film on war and a gripping piece. Features Clooney + Wahlberg
    Moonrise Kingdom - this is my favorite of the Wes Anderson films. Great performances all around. Rushmore and Budapest round out his top 3.

More

Her - this saw mainstream success but was one of the most original movies Ive ever seen and was thoroughly enjoyable. Watch it if you havent
    Midnight in Paris - Owen Wilson movie set in France from a few years ago. Vibrant film with a lot of life.
    Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Practically Forest Gump 2 with different characters. Still highly enjoyable, though long
    Junebug - I seem to like movies that explore the southern way of life, but this was another great one. Amy Adams bursts on to the scene in this one.
    Scent of a Woman - Hoooo haahh!