Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweetwater Brewing Co.

vCash
    Sweetwater coming to MS is great news to me. I don't know if you guys know it but the owners of Lazy Magnolia are State grads and at least a couple of the owners of Lucky Town are State grads so we have some Bulldogs making an impact on the craft beer industry in Mississippi.

vCash
    Nice. It would be really cool to have a beer with the walking bully on the logo. That is a craft I would willingly spend money on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C222 View Post
    Blue. 420. Road Trip. All 3 are great. IPA...not good.
    The IPA is good and the Rye IPA is great. I guess you are not an IPA Beer fan at all...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedawg View Post
    Sweet water is ok but nothing beets a cold blue moon
    Hands down best craft beer
    Ugh that post makes my brain hurt. Blue moon? Really?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    One of the best "beers" I've ever had is the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Be warned this beer will knock you on your ass.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits...minute-ipa.htm
    Yeah it's delicious. I get 1 a year or so. You are eating that thing more than drinking it.

vCash
    I cannot drink annoy of those coffee-like beers, Ref. For one, I don't like coffee, and I can only go so dark. My philosophy is if I can't see through it even a little bit, I probably won't like it. Just my tastebuds

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedawg View Post
    Is craft beer really worth it? For the same price as mystery romp you can load up on Miller.
    That's why I like blue moon, it's a fair price for great beer
    Absolutely. Spend a month drinking good beer and you'll wonder how you spent all those years drinking crap.

Well I know, it's called being a poor college kid getting wasted every weekend.

But now, I'll occasionally drink cheap beer depending on circumstances, but even if I'm drinking on a hot afternoon at a cookout or tailgating, give me a saison or kolsch or something over bud/millers/coors/pbr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    One of the best "beers" I've ever had is the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Be warned this beer will knock you on your ass.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits...minute-ipa.htm
    Heading to 30A Saturday for a week.. Can't wait to drink some better beers.
    We are missing so many craft breweries here in MS.
    Lagunitas(supposedly coming to MS), Grayton (going to tour the brewery), Dogfish, Oskar Blues, Odells, Bells, Cigar City, Founders, and Stone to name a few.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Heading to 30A Saturday for a week.. Can't wait to drink some better beers.
    We are missing so many craft breweries here in MS.
    Lagunitas(supposedly coming to MS), Grayton (going to tour the brewery), Dogfish, Oskar Blues, Odells, Bells, Cigar City, Founders, and Stone to name a few.
    Lagunitas is already here. Dave's has their IPA on draft.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Sweetwater coming to MS is great news to me. I don't know if you guys know it but the owners of Lazy Magnolia are State grads and at least a couple of the owners of Lucky Town are State grads so we have some Bulldogs making an impact on the craft beer industry in Mississippi.
    I'm not questioning you, but if they are State guys why would they make beers specific to Ole Miss and Hattiesburg but not Starkville? Looks like "Reb Ale" has been rebranded but they still have "Southern Gold" that you can only buy in Hattiesburg.
    Leicester Till I Die

vCash
    Does ms get any sours? I haven't been back in almost 2 years, so last time I was back, the beer scene was just barely getting going. Sours are all the rage on the left coast.

Also, if you don't like dark beers (porters, stouts), have you tried bourbon barrel aged beers? Those are some of my favorites. Granted they are not summer beers and usually clock in at 10+% alcohol, so you want to split a bottle with a couple of friends.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Does ms get any sours? I haven't been back in almost 2 years, so last time I was back, the beer scene was just barely getting going. Sours are all the rage on the left coast.

Also, if you don't like dark beers (porters, stouts), have you tried bourbon barrel aged beers? Those are some of my favorites. Granted they are not summer beers and usually clock in at 10+% alcohol, so you want to split a bottle with a couple of friends.
    Lazy Magnolia is releasing a barrel aged beer that is 9.3% alcohol (illegal to sell in the State of MS)
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Lazy Magnolia is releasing a barrel aged beer that is 9.3% alcohol (illegal to sell in the State of MS)
    How much of a premium are y'all willing to pay for some barrel-aged and sour stuff when I come back for a game this fall?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedawg View Post
    I'm not questioning you, but if they are State guys why would they make beers specific to Ole Miss and Hattiesburg but not Starkville? Looks like "Reb Ale" has been rebranded but they still have "Southern Gold" that you can only buy in Hattiesburg.
    I emailed them about seven years ago and kind of blasted them for this. They (I can't remember exactly who it was) emailed me back fairly quickly and their explanation was that they didn't think Starkville could support a beer just for Starkville and they couldn't rely only on students to buy their beer because of the premium price. I emailed back and told them I would support them but I would never drink a Reb Ale. The sales manager them emailed me and said they appreciate my business and gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him if I ever had a problem with their beer or if I needed help finding their beer.
    They later changed Reb Ale to Deep South Pale Ale but left the label red & blue. I guess the colors alone turned people off because they recently discontinued the beer which I find hilarious.

vCash
    Crooked letter chocolate stout is the best stout I have ever drank. Just moved to Atlanta so maybe I can hit up a brewery tour of Sweetwater. I have tried a couple and they are good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I read about them, husband and wife both are engineers. One is mechanical and one chemical.

vCash
    Too bad it's not a craft beer. It's a moulsoncoors product.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post

Lazy Magnolia had a seasonal that was supposedly a sour recently. I don't remember the name or if it's still out, but it was interesting. It had a lemonade twist to it. I don't know if I've ever had any others.

Straight To Ale out of Alabama might be my favorite local microbrewery, fwiw. Monkeynaut IPA and Lily Flag Milk Stout are great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    Not anymore. The limit has been moved up to 10%.

If it's Southern Gentleman, it's absolutely great if you like having a whiskey aftertaste from beer. It's Southern Pecan aged in oak barrels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Crooked letter chocolate stout is the best stout I have ever drank. Just moved to Atlanta so maybe I can hit up a brewery tour of Sweetwater. I have tried a couple and they are good.
    You should. Nice place, can bring a dog and hang outside even. And the beer is great