Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sweetwater Brewing Co.

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailmari View Post
    It's only served on tap, I think. So it basically requires a bar to have a popular demand for it. It's usually a regular at Blue Canoe in Tupelo (great food and beer selection, btw).

Try Mocha Porter by Rogue if you haven't already. Similar style. You should be able to find it in bombers at Brewski's.
    Romp is in bottles on the Coast and should be in the Jackson area in the next two weeks. It's a chocolate coffee porter. Best beer made in Mississippi hands down.

Yuengling is hitting Mississippi soon as well. Followed by Southern Tier. I'm not a fan of Sweetwater. Terrapin is where it's at in Georgia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailmari View Post
    Not anymore. The limit has been moved up to 10%.

If it's Southern Gentleman, it's absolutely great if you like having a whiskey aftertaste from beer. It's Southern Pecan aged in oak barrels.
    Southern Prohibition Brewery out of Hattiesburg recently tried a barrel-aged barley wine that came out of the barrel at 11.4%. They sent it all to Louisiana because they couldn't sell it in Mississippi. We are still behind on our beer laws but we are light years ahead of where we were just a couple of years ago. Also, I agree on the Southern Gentleman. It's a nicely made beer.

vCash
    The limit in Mississippi is now 10.3% ABV. As far as sours go, you can get La Folie, Kriek, and several other Lips of Faith beers. Duchess is here now as well. Yalobusha released a really solid barrel aged milk stout called Testify. I know the guy from Oxford Brewing as well and he's planning on rocking some stouts and saisons once his brewery gets ramped up in Oxford.

vCash
    If any of y'all ever find yourselves on the west coast and have a chance to drink a barley brown's pallet jack ipa, it's hands down the best ipa I've ever had. Despite the name, it is a very smooth ipa that does not in fact jack up your pallet.

Also, if you like sours, you can buy some cascade sours online (not sure on whether ms allows beer to be mailed to your residence though?). The cascades are pricey (think of it like a decent bottle of wine), but arguably the best sour brewery in the country.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    If any of y'all ever find yourselves on the west coast and have a chance to drink a barley brown's pallet jack ipa, it's hands down the best ipa I've ever had. Despite the name, it is a very smooth ipa that does not in fact jack up your pallet.

Also, if you like sours, you can buy some cascade sours online (not sure on whether ms allows beer to be mailed to your residence though?). The cascades are pricey (think of it like a decent bottle of wine), but arguably the best sour brewery in the country.
    Yeah I don't think you're allowed to ship alcohol directly to a residence, if I remember correctly.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Heading to 30A Saturday for a week.. Can't wait to drink some better beers.
    We are missing so many craft breweries here in MS.
    Lagunitas(supposedly coming to MS), Grayton (going to tour the brewery), Dogfish, Oskar Blues, Odells, Bells, Cigar City, Founders, and Stone to name a few.
    We were in Rosemary about 3 weeks ago and could not find any Dogfish beers, the liquor store next to Publix said the distributor hadn't been able to get them any lately. One of my favorites I tried for the first time on that trip was the Detour Double IPA from Unita, maybe from Salt Lake City. That was delicious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    We were in Rosemary about 3 weeks ago and could not find any Dogfish beers, the liquor store next to Publix said the distributor hadn't been able to get them any lately. One of my favorites I tried for the first time on that trip was the Detour Double IPA from Unita, maybe from Salt Lake City. That was delicious.
    Before I moved from DC, we went over to the Delaware/Maryland coast and stopped at the dogfish head brewery along the way. Pretty sure they said they were pulling out of some states because they were struggling to meet demand. And they were in the process of nearly doubling their production capacity.

Does ms get deschutes?

vCash
    No, I don't think we do. I had my first Deschutes the other night and really liked it. It was the IPA version I think? Can't remember the name but it was very smooth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    No, I don't think we do. I had my first Deschutes the other night and really liked it. It was the IPA version I think? Can't remember the name but it was very smooth
    Of the more widely distributed oregon beers (deschutes, rogue, full sail, ninkasi), deschutes is by far my favorite. Mirror pond pale ale (maybe this is what you had? It's their most commonly found beer) is one of my go to everyday beers, but they also have a ton of rare special releases throughout the year that are great too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    Of the more widely distributed oregon beers (deschutes, rogue, full sail, ninkasi), deschutes is by far my favorite. Mirror pond pale ale (maybe this is what you had? It's their most commonly found beer) is one of my go to everyday beers, but they also have a ton of rare special releases throughout the year that are great too.
    Fresh Squeezed is one of the best IPAs I've had in a long, long time. Red Chair is really tasty as well.

If you're into sours and farmhouse ales, try to get anything from New Glaurus and Jester King. Both make some exceptional wild ales.

vCash
    I've seen the Lips of Faith beers around, I just haven't dished out the cash for one yet.

I really like Yalobusha's IPA. I gotta get after that barrel aged milk stout soon. Sounds great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beerfarley View Post
    Fresh Squeezed is one of the best IPAs I've had in a long, long time. Red Chair is really tasty as well.

If you're into sours and farmhouse ales, try to get anything from New Glaurus and Jester King. Both make some exceptional wild ales.
    How did I forget about fresh squeezed? I've been drinking the shit out of that this summer.

vCash
    Yeah, Dogfish Head pulled out of TN a few years ago and just recently came back. I've bootlegged some of it and Stone from Memphis a time or two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C222 View Post
    Blue. 420. Road Trip. All 3 are great. IPA...not good.
    Tell me about Road Trip please. What other beers are comparable to this offering from Sweetwater?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    I've never seen Dogfishhead on 30A. I always hit up that public and that liquor store and haven't seen DFH at either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I've never seen Dogfishhead on 30A. I always hit up that public and that liquor store and haven't seen DFH at either.
    The Wine World in Watercolor and the Chan's Wine World next to SanDestin both DFH.
    Chan's Wine World next to Publix in SanDestin has the best selection of beer I have seen in that area.

http://chanswineworld.com/

vCash
    The Chan's across from Destin Commons just opened a craft beer shop next door to the wine store. Got an e-mail announcement.