Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braves' catching situation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Bethancourt still needs some seasoning. He had the pass ball today, and a few other young mistakes lately if you've been paying attention. plus his bat is ok but IMO he's been lucky. his minor league stats do not suggest his bat should be performing at this level, and he's often looked overmatched at the plate.

Braves have a decision to make. His stock will never be higher. trade now or keep long-term.
    If you trade Bethancourt now, the next best guy in the system is Tyler Tewell at Lynchburg, and Tewell profiles more as a AAAA player than a major league every day player. After Tewell, you have a cluster of guys at Danville in Bryan De La Rosa, Tanner Murphy, and Wigberto Nevarez. Bryan De La Rosa has a ridiculous pop time (1.72 coming out of high school), but he hasn't hit. Tanner Murphy is a big, raw catcher who has yet to hit but has projection. Wigberto Nevarez is a 20th round pick who was compared some to Evan Gattis, but has looked like a 20th round pick in the early goings.

vCash
    I just saw where the Braves signed a catcher from Cuba for whatever it's worth. He might end up here in Mississippi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    If you trade Bethancourt now, the next best guy in the system is Tyler Tewell at Lynchburg, and Tewell profiles more as a AAAA player than a major league every day player. After Tewell, you have a cluster of guys at Danville in Bryan De La Rosa, Tanner Murphy, and Wigberto Nevarez. Bryan De La Rosa has a ridiculous pop time (1.72 coming out of high school), but he hasn't hit. Tanner Murphy is a big, raw catcher who has yet to hit but has projection. Wigberto Nevarez is a 20th round pick who was compared some to Evan Gattis, but has looked like a 20th round pick in the early goings.
    yeah, but solid backups are a dime a dozen, and they have Gattis for 4 more years.

vCash
    Depending on how the resigning of a few guys go and how the offense evolves next year (we currently have the 2nd least runs scored in all of baseball only ahead of the Padres), I would consider trading Gattis to an AL team in the offseason or next year's trading deadline for a starting pitcher.

If Gattis still continues to have health problems, he could be a kick ass DH for a decent time. That amount of offense is worth quite and bit and we might be able to get a #2 or #3 for him and we NEED that. Teheran is about the only proven commodity we have at SP right now that I can count on to consistently win games for next year.

Harang is 36 and will turn 37 in May and is on a 1 year contract. Not sure what you will get out of him even if we do resign him. Santana has a 1 year deal. Possibility he doesn't come back next year. I think Alex Wood will be good but he's not a 2 or 3 yet. But he can get there. Minor scares the hell out of me. He's now got a 4.86 ERA and only got a win yesterday because we scored more than the 6 runs he gave up. Hale isn't ready yet and Floyd can't be counted on. Then you add in Beachy and Medlen and you can't be sure how they will come back from injury.

So you've got Teheran, Minor, Wood, and Hale who are guaranteed as of right now to be on the team. That's scary as shit. We need another starter and we need one badly. If the organization thinks Bethancourt is ready, I say try and get a starter for next year by trading Gattis.

vCash
    If you want to piss off 95% of Braves fans and get yourself on the hot seat as GM, trade El Oso Blanco.

Betchencourt may by a splash in the frying pan. I wouldn't bet my future on that. I'd go get another pitcher as soon as Gattis is back and healthy.

vCash
    A whole lot of folks are under estimating the value of defense behind the plate. Now, in no way do I agree that gattis should be traded but I wouldn't dream of shipping bethancourt off either rite now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I just saw where the Braves signed a catcher from Cuba for whatever it's worth. He might end up here in Mississippi.
    Yenier Bello. They actually signed him this winter, but he has had visa issues or something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    A whole lot of folks are under estimating the value of defense behind the plate. Now, in no way do I agree that gattis should be traded but I wouldn't dream of shipping bethancourt off either rite now.
    If Bryan De La Rosa were showing anything in the minors right now, I'd consider it.

vCash
    If Bryan De La Rosa were showing anything in the minors right now, I'd consider it.
    Which one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Which one?
    If De La Rosa were showing anything, I'd consider moving Bethancourt.

vCash
    Yenier Bello. They actually signed him this winter, but he has had visa issues or something like that.
    Yeah, it takes awhile to get those Cuban players through customs typically. Usually they have to defect to the Dominican or Mexico and then after they get citizenship there THEN they can come on over to MLB.

vCash
    Really hope he keeps hitting in the minors when gattis gets back. Christian having a nice offensive year would make him very marketable

vCash
    If peraza keeps tearing it up, lastella could be a nice trade piece too.

vCash
    so, do you consider Bethancourt as the starting catcher by say 2016, or just the backup to Gattis?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    so, do you consider Bethancourt as the starting catcher by say 2016, or just the backup to Gattis?
    I'm not sure. One of them will likely be traded. Evan is a fan favorite right now, but he's fast approaching 30 and is starting to have some injuries that may flare up from time to time (knees and back). In a perfect world, Evan would be a DH to save his back and knees. 30 is the typical age where catchers start to have a rather drastic decline.

On the flip side, Evan helps the team more now. If they can package Bethancourt and get someone like David Price in return, it would not be a bad deal. You just have to make sure you develop a catcher in the system, because Evan likely will not be getting an extension at his age, and I don't see the DH coming to the NL anytime soon.

vCash
    I'm not sure. One of them will likely be traded. Evan is a fan favorite right now, but he's fast approaching 30 and is starting to have some injuries that may flare up from time to time (knees and back). In a perfect world, Evan would be a DH to save his back and knees. 30 is the typical age where catchers start to have a rather drastic decline.

On the flip side, Evan helps the team more now. If they can package Bethancourt and get someone like David Price in return, it would not be a bad deal. You just have to make sure you develop a catcher in the system, because Evan likely will not be getting an extension at his age, and I don't see the DH coming to the NL anytime soon.
    5-10 years and the NL will have the DH too. I used to be against it, but the more I think about it, the more I want it to happen. It'll level the playing field with the AL and make the game better.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22