Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braves' catching situation

vCash

Braves' catching situation

Been able to watch several games this past week and this bethancourt is a studd defensive catcher. I have also been pleasantly surprised with his offense. However, gattis is starting baseball activities and may be back in a couple weeks. With catcher being a premium defensive position it may get interesting, especially with all 3 everyday outfielders swinging fairly well rite now.

vCash
    Fredi has already said gattis will catch when healthy. Most likely Christian will be sent down to keep catching everyday

vCash
    I love bethancourt though. Gattis better be glad he's a premier hitting catcher bc bethancourt is outstanding defensively

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Fredi has already said gattis will catch when healthy. Most likely Christian will be sent down to keep catching everyday
    Wouldn't be shocked by this but ded gum he is an elite defensive guy. If BJ had kept sucking then I could see doing some shuffling out there and put gattis in left.

With bethancourt behind the plate they may very well have the best; at least top 2-3, defensive catcher, right fielder, first baseman, and short stop. That is amazing really...and a huge reason for expected success.

vCash
    And rite on cue***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Wouldn't be shocked by this but ded gum he is an elite defensive guy. If BJ had kept sucking then I could see doing some shuffling out there and put gattis in left.

With bethancourt behind the plate they may very well have the best; at least top 2-3, defensive catcher, right fielder, first baseman, and short stop. That is amazing really...and a huge reason for expected success.
    If gattis could play lf at a decent level, I'd love to have him there. He's terrible though. Jup is already bad in lf. Moving jup to rf and gattis in lf will make us very, very weak defensively on the corners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    And rite on cue***
    Haha yep

vCash
    EliteDawgs...For all things Atlanta braves, and a splash of MSU athletics.***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    EliteDawgs...For all things Atlanta braves, and a splash of MSU athletics.***
    Can we please get an "a" on the banner?*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Can we please get an "a" on the banner?*
    Haha

vCash
    EliteDwgs
    Last edited by CadaverDawg; 07-12-2014 at 05:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    EliteDwgs
    Perfect. Nice work

vCash
    Bethancourt will probably go back down. But I've been pleasantly surprised with his bat. He definitely looks ready to play. Don't get the hate for Gattis. He isn't bad at all defensively. The pitching staff loves the guy. Bethancourt being a defensive freak doesn't mean Gattis sucks. I'd say Gattis is probably better right now than Mac was at any point of his career, and I personally thought Mac was underrated defensively. It's almost like unless you're Yadi Molina, you get pegged as either an "offensive" or "defensive" catcher now and can't get credit for being good at both. I'm excited as hell to get Gattis back, but I'd love to find a way to keep Bethancourt on the 25 man, too. Unfortunately, we're stuck with Laird and a waste of roster space in Uggla. Have I mentioned how much I hate Wren?
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Bethancourt will probably go back down. But I've been pleasantly surprised with his bat. He definitely looks ready to play. Don't get the hate for Gattis. He isn't bad at all defensively. The pitching staff loves the guy. Bethancourt being a defensive freak doesn't mean Gattis sucks. I'd say Gattis is probably better right now than Mac was at any point of his career, and I personally thought Mac was underrated defensively. It's almost like unless you're Yadi Molina, you get pegged as either an "offensive" or "defensive" catcher now and can't get credit for being good at both. I'm excited as hell to get Gattis back, but I'd love to find a way to keep Bethancourt on the 25 man, too. Unfortunately, we're stuck with Laird and a waste of roster space in Uggla. Have I mentioned how much I hate Wren?
    I referred to gattis being terrible in lf, not catcher. Gattis is nowhere near bethancourt defensively, but bethancourt is no where near gattis offensively. I'd go gattis this year...

vCash
    Bethencourt is going to be trade bait. He's a stud defensively and has a bat to boot. Get gattis back and go grab a role player to make a push into the post season. A middle reliever/4th SP would be nice. A team will give that up for a young #2 catcher who is still developing.

Gattis getting hurt could be a lifesaver for the Braves if this plays out correctly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Bethencourt is going to be trade bait. He's a stud defensively and has a bat to boot. Get gattis back and go grab a role player to make a push into the post season. A middle reliever/4th SP would be nice. A team will give that up for a young #2 catcher who is still developing.

Gattis getting hurt could be a lifesaver for the Braves if this plays out correctly.
    If this happened then I'd have to agree with some others that wren is an idiot...I just don't see it

vCash
    the talking heads are already suggesting it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    the talking heads are already suggesting it.
    I don't think you trade either one this year esp considering gattis' back is questionable. I do think the braves should make a decision which one after the season though.

vCash
    They have to take into account that Evan is also 28 years old. While he doesn't have the wear and tear on his bones that a Brian McCann had at that age, catchers still do not age well. Evan is an elite offensive catcher, but he's probably middle of the pack defensively. Christian Bethancourt has a chance to be the defensive equals of Yadier Molina and Salvador Perez, and neither one of them were exceptionally strong offensive catchers coming out of the minors.

vCash
    Bethancourt still needs some seasoning. He had the pass ball today, and a few other young mistakes lately if you've been paying attention. plus his bat is ok but IMO he's been lucky. his minor league stats do not suggest his bat should be performing at this level, and he's often looked overmatched at the plate.

Braves have a decision to make. His stock will never be higher. trade now or keep long-term.