Thread: Who wins the MLB All star game?

vCash

Who wins the MLB All star game?

AL bats look loaded to me, but the NL can fly. Lot of runs despite the great pitching???

vCash
    It'll be an interesting contrast for sure. The last couple games have been pitching dominated, although who knows if that trend will continue?

Side note, I HATE the AS Game determining home field for the WS. If this is the fans game, which is what it's billed to be, we should get to see the guys having the best years that particular year, not the best guys having good years but the manager would rather have to help him win. Yadi Molina instantly comes to mind this season. He's the best catcher in baseball, but he hasn't had a good year so far. But somehow, he's not only on the team, but starting ahead of Jonathan Lucroy, who ought to be getting MVP consideration for what he's done. Anthony Rizzo & Anthony Rendon are final vote candidates who both deserve to be there. But only one will make it because you need bench players capable of helping you win WS Home Field. It's ridiculous and always has been.

The players ought to be playing to win for pride and the managers should've managed it to win all along. If they aren't that's on them. When it changed in the 90s to "everyone plays" and managers trying to clear the benches and make sure all the pitchers pitched, you knew a tie would be inevitable. But the whole "now it counts" thing is utter bullshit. If Selig had a set of balls and wasn't the worst commissioner in all of professional sports, he'd have privately gathered the owners & GMs and chewed ass for that "everyone plays" bullshit. Let it be known in no uncertain terms from now on, you manage the AS game to win and make sure the players understand it may be an "exhibition" but they better be playing to win. Just a terrible way of handling it all the way around.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    It'll be an interesting contrast for sure. The last couple games have been pitching dominated, although who knows if that trend will continue?

Side note, I HATE the AS Game determining home field for the WS. If this is the fans game, which is what it's billed to be, we should get to see the guys having the best years that particular year, not the best guys having good years but the manager would rather have to help him win. Yadi Molina instantly comes to mind this season. He's the best catcher in baseball, but he hasn't had a good year so far. But somehow, he's not only on the team, but starting ahead of Jonathan Lucroy, who ought to be getting MVP consideration for what he's done. Anthony Rizzo & Anthony Rendon are final vote candidates who both deserve to be there. But only one will make it because you need bench players capable of helping you win WS Home Field. It's ridiculous and always has been.

The players ought to be playing to win for pride and the managers should've managed it to win all along. If they aren't that's on them. When it changed in the 90s to "everyone plays" and managers trying to clear the benches and make sure all the pitchers pitched, you knew a tie would be inevitable. But the whole "now it counts" thing is utter bullshit. If Selig had a set of balls and wasn't the worst commissioner in all of professional sports, he'd have privately gathered the owners & GMs and chewed ass for that "everyone plays" bullshit. Let it be known in no uncertain terms from now on, you manage the AS game to win and make sure the players understand it may be an "exhibition" but they better be playing to win. Just a terrible way of handling it all the way around.
    So many things wrong with the current MLB product IMO. The all star game is one of those problems, for all of the reasons you listed.

Banned
    vCash
    I love that the All-Star game determines home field, it gave the Giants home field in both WS they won. It makes the game very important and I love that. The MLB All-Star game is the only one that is so important. NBA and NFL are terrible horribly boring. Can someone explain to me how Josh Harrison made the NL team? He's ok but I would of taken about 20 other guys before him.

Banned
    vCash
    Going with AL. Much deeper bench

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer Dawg View Post
    Going with AL. Much deeper bench

Good job on the Man U logo!! If the NL just pitches Kershaw 9 innings we'll win for sure. Gonna come down to pitching and both squads are filthy.

AL Pitchers

RHP Yu Darvish, Rangers
    RHP Max Scherzer, Tigers
    RHP Felix Hernandez, Mariners
    RHP Masahiro Tanaka, Yankees
    LHP Jon Lester, Red Sox
    LHP David Price, Rays
    LHP Scott Kazmir, Athletics
    LHP Mark Buehrle, Blue Jays
    LHP Sean Doolittle, Athletics
    RHP Greg Holland, Royals
    LHP Glen Perkins, Twins
    RHP Dellin Betances, Yankees

NL Pitchers

RHP Johnny Cueto, Reds
    LHP Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers
    RHP Zack Greinke, Dodgers
    LHP Madison Bumgarner, Giants
    RHP Adam Wainwright, Cardinals
    RHP Tyson Ross, Padres
    RHP Jordan Zimmermann, Nationals
    RHP Julio Teheran, Braves*
    RHP Craig Kimbrel, Braves
    LHP Aroldis Chapman, Reds
    RHP Francisco Rodriguez, Brewers
    LHP Tony Watson, Pirates
    RHP Pat Neshek, Cardinals
    Last edited by Dawg61; 07-06-2014 at 09:07 PM.

vCash
    Did Mike Matheny really choose Josh Harrison, a utility player, over Justin Upton to be on the All Star team? That combined with the fact that Julio Teheran was chosen only because Jeff Samardzija was traded when Teheran has been better than Samardzija all year long really gives me a reason to dislike the Cardinals even more.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Did Mike Matheny really choose Josh Harrison, a utility player, over Justin Upton to be on the All Star team? That combined with the fact that Julio Teheran was chosen only because Jeff Samardzija was traded when Teheran has been better than Samardzija all year long really gives me a reason to dislike the Cardinals even more.
    Clint Hurdle is a manager too, that screams of his pick. Harrison over Upton and Braun? haha ok I can see Braun getting passed over for punishment but good lawrd that is a terrible homer pick by Hurdle.

vCash
    It's part of the "every team has to be represented" rule that's another bullshit part of the AS game. That needs to be abolished in the worst way.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    It's part of the "every team has to be represented" rule that's another bullshit part of the AS game. That needs to be abolished in the worst way.
    Pittsburgh already had McCutcheon and a pitcher chosen.

Banned
    vCash
    No McCutchen and Watson are on the team

vCash
    Pittsburgh already had McCutcheon and a pitcher chosen.
    My bad, missed their names. I couldn't believe that McCutcheon wouldn't be their guy to make it. But I still say the "every team must be represented" rule needs to be changed.